Current road trip is from Brisbane to Wagga Wagga NSW then back to Brisbane.

I regularly use the Newell Highway and have noticed quite some differences since I last did this trip in 2018. At the moment, the highway traffic travelling south is minimal. I have those glorious time periods where I have the road entirely to myself. Mostly travelling on cruise control at the speed limit and I have only been overtaken 2 times. Much more traffic travelling in the opposite direction.

There was only 1 vehicle at the Border Control when I went through Goondiwindi at 11AM [QLD time]. However, a few minutes down the road there was quite a few semi-trailers heading towards the border.

I also keep a record of places with best fuel prices. Times have changed and a few discount petrol places in the small places on the highway are now closed. However, I have noticed   new petrol stations on the outskirts of the larger towns. I have very much revised my refuelling stops after doing an online search for petrol prices.

The other noticeable difference was the roadworks. Still plenty happening but no delays just reduced speed limits.

Thanks Ash, Yes many will now be able to head from Queensland to regional parts of NSW..we are hoping our son in Brisbane will now be able to come down and see us..missing him so fingers crossed it remains calm down here..would have been kinda strange having an empty highway for a while normally we are behind a few big semi's heading in the same direction as us..which we back off and wait for the best spot to pass.

I do hope your journey is safe and enjoyable for you mate, thanks for the update and will look for more to come, say hello to the flame trees at Wagga

Keep Well

KAA

Hey Ash, I was wondering where you got to mate. Haven't heard from you in a few days.

It's nice to have the road all to yourself. Makes you feel like your the only one on the planet lol.. Until the Semi's arrive and the rest of the Yahoos.

Looks like those never ending roadworks are still never ending eh ? I'm really over roadworks. I wonder if in my lifetime will I ever see any of these actually finish.

Anyway, have a safe trip Ash. Enjoy your Aurion on the open road.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

• Like 1

All good safe trip.

Only had one moment with an oncoming black hilux. More of a case thinking that it was a vehicle ahead. A bit of a wake up call to actually see what is rather than what you are expecting to see.

Lead foot is ruining fuel economy figures but enjoying being on the road again. Checked the oil and it is still nice and clean.

Return trip is in the next few days so planning upon trying to be good and get some decent fuel economy figures.

• Like 1

Good to hear from you Ash and that you arrived safely mate. You gotta watch those Black Hilux's lol. They can be a bugger to spot sometimes.

Lead foot action would've been good for the old 2GR-FE. Blow those cobwebs out good and proper too.

All those regular oil changes and engine flush seems to be working out well.

Enjoy your break and safe drive home.

Take care mate :thumbsup:

Glad all has gone pretty well Ash, Always watch out for Black Hilux's remember they are apparently unbreakable LOL, enjoy the break mate and make sure and enjoy the trip back..as far as the fuel economy well stuff it enjoy the aurion on the open rad that is what it was built for..

Stay Safe

KAA

On 11/9/2020 at 1:08 PM, Tony Prodigy said:

Good to hear from you Ash and that you arrived safely mate. You gotta watch those Black Hilux's lol. They can be a bugger to spot sometimes.

Lead foot action would've been good for the old 2GR-FE. Blow those cobwebs out good and proper too.

All those regular oil changes and engine flush seems to be working out well.

Enjoy your break and safe drive home.

Take care mate :thumbsup:

Yes, all that maintenance is paying off. Thinking of finally removing the front valve cover after 5 years but maybe wait for after the next road trip.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:33 PM, KAA said:

Glad all has gone pretty well Ash, Always watch out for Black Hilux's remember they are apparently unbreakable LOL, enjoy the break mate and make sure and enjoy the trip back..as far as the fuel economy well stuff it enjoy the aurion on the open rad that is what it was built for..

Stay Safe

KAA

Planning upon doing a fuel economy run after the 1st refuelling stop. Expecting some wet weather so will wait for dry roads before even thinking about being naughty. 

9 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Wow, another road trip, good on you. Enjoy 😉

Been talking about this road trip for some time. Cannot be all talk and no action, at least in this Forum, lol. 

In the next few weeks, it will be other member's turn to be posting about their road trip. 

• Like 2

Back home in Brisbane. Only 1 vehicle in front of me at the Border Control when I went through Goondiwindi at 8:30AM [QLD time]. I made sure to pass any semi-trailers before getting to the border.

I had some light rain and little need to use the wipers. Giving the windscreen a thorough clean with cut and polish compound proved to be very worthwhile with water droplets spooling off the windscreen.

Time to start getting ready for the next road trip in 2021.

Good you made it back safely and that you enjoyed your trip mate.

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

I had some light rain and little need to use the wipers. Giving the windscreen a thorough clean with cut and polish compound proved to be very worthwhile with water droplets spooling off the windscreen.

I agree. With the addition of Rain-X or whatever coating is on it, the beads help to clear the windscreen as you drive. I never use my wipers at speeds above 70 km/hr. The wind and the beads do it for me lol..

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Good you made it back safely and that you enjoyed your trip mate.

I agree. With the addition of Rain-X or whatever coating is on it, the beads help to clear the windscreen as you drive. I never use my wipers at speeds above 70 km/hr. The wind and the beads do it for me lol..

As per usual, it is all about driving safely and adapting to changed conditions. There was a section of road curves with rough surface and a speed limit of 110kph where I was not feeling comfortable so reduced speed to 100kph. It was only just for a few minutes and then back up to the speed limit when the road conditions improved greatly.

Most important thing is not to drive when tired. I certainly have lots of pit stops these days. lol  Another thing is that I pre-plan the trip but I do not drive to a schedule.

Certainly enjoyed the freedom of being on the open road with no vehicles in sight. Good change to be away from city traffic. 

Now going to relax and enjoy the weekend before going back to work on Monday.

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

As per usual, it is all about driving safely and adapting to changed conditions. There was a section of road curves with rough surface and a speed limit of 110kph where I was not feeling comfortable so reduced speed to 100kph. It was only just for a few minutes and then back up to the speed limit when the road conditions improved greatly.

Yep, Good Call.

Most important thing is not to drive when tired.

Did that years ago and I had a microsleep. Lucky my girlfriend at the time woke me up as I was veering onto the wrong side of the road. That was close. We stopped soon after and she took over. Drove from Sydney to Tweed Heads in one hit on our way to  Surfers.

Now going to relax and enjoy the weekend before going back to work on Monday.

I just did a therapeutic clean and tidy up of my garage. I feel better now :biggrin: 

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Yep, Good Call.

Did that years ago and I had a microsleep. Lucky my girlfriend at the time woke me up as I was veering onto the wrong side of the road. That was close. We stopped soon after and she took over. Drove from Sydney to Tweed Heads in one hit on our way to  Surfers.

I just did a therapeutic clean and tidy up of my garage. I feel better now :biggrin: 

Yes, it was a good call; putting the ego to one side rather than persist being in that situation. I did give myself a gold star for being smart, not dumb. Helps to offset the other times when I give myself a mental kicking. 

Those microsleeps can be deadly. Best to pay heed to the warning signs and take a break. 

I was thinking of doing a therapeutic clean of the windscreen and a tyre shine. Grass has grown since being away, so I will be doing some therapeutic mowing in the cool of the afternoon. Having a rest now. 😎 

5 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I was thinking of doing a therapeutic clean of the windscreen and a tyre shine. Grass has grown since being away, so I will be doing some therapeutic mowing in the cool of the afternoon. Having a rest now. 😎 

:laugh::laugh::laugh::thumbsup:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, campbeam said:

Those microsleeps can be deadly. Best to pay heed to the warning signs and take a break

Heck yes..always dangerous to push push push just to get a few Klm's more down the road..I always use the rest stops get out have a good walk and a cuppa..plus swap so "She Who Must Be Obeyed" gets some miles in the aurion as well..she is a good driver just a bit power mad at times LOL

Glad your trip was a good one mate looking forward to one soon ourselves as states are opening up now

Keep Well

KAA

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, KAA said:

she is a good driver just a bit power mad at times LOL

Glad your trip was a good one mate looking forward to one soon ourselves as states are opening up now

Keep Well

Precisely why I do not let the girlfriend in the driver's seat of my Aurion. She is used to the high revving of the Yaris engine. 

Steering and brakes would also be a lot heavier than what she is used to. 

My trip was drama free with light traffic and cool weather conditions.  Reckon that it will be totally different during the Xmas-New Year period.  

Looking forward to hearing about other's road trips and what "new normals"/differences they are noticing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

Precisely why I do not let the girlfriend in the driver's seat of my Aurion. She is used to the high revving of the Yaris engine. 

You brought back some memories. When I first purchased our Aurion. My wife had been so used to driving her little Corolla that she would always put the boot into the pedal to get it going and when she drove the Aurion, she started doing the same thing. I had to pull her up immediately telling her it's nothing like the Corolla and all you need is a gentle tap and away it goes. Took her some time to get used to it. 

• Like 1