Aftermarket Seat Replacement (Possible Dumb Question about airbags)

Crimson Zr6

Hey, 

Read/heard somewhere that when removing seats from more modern cars, they could deploy the airbags. Is this true with the 2006-20011 Model Aurions? Seeing as I'm going to be putting in some Corbeau Seats sometime in the near future.

In regards to mounting, any of you know if the Camry 02-06 Camry seats mount the same? if not, what model do? I'm happy to guinea pig it and buy. Might save someone else a headache later on, but I'd prefer to buy it and know It'll be a direct bolt on.

Cheers 🙂

Edit *** just made the links easier to access

Chassis code is GSV40R

Edited by Crimson Zr6
Better Title

2 hours ago, Crimson Zr6 said:

Read/heard somewhere that when removing seats from more modern cars, they could deploy the airbags. Is this true with the 2006-20011 Model Aurions? Seeing as I'm going to be putting in some Corbeau Seats sometime in the near future.

Hi Liam,

Welcome to the forum. The airbags cannot deploy if the seat is removed. I'd disconnect the battery before doing it to avoid any inadvertent issues anyway just to be safe. Nothing to worry about though.

Regarding fitment of ASV30 Camry seats to a GSV40 Aurion, I would think not. Both cars have different architecture and if that website shows that the brackets start from say, 02 to 2011, then you'd know for sure. So I'm inclined to think early Camry brackets/seats are not compatible to the Aurion. Camry ASV40 seats should though.

You may be able to adapt the Aurion seat bracket to the seat of your choice though or perhaps look for a pair of seats specifically for the 40 series. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Thank you for the warm welcome :)

So they won't deploy? Awesome, Thank you for the help! I'll be sure to disconnect the negative terminal before hand.

But that leaves me with the mounting to solve.. will do some Hunting for specific brackets for the 40 series and post up what I find, for anyone's future Endeavors 🙂

Pure speculation....... it may be illegal to remove airbag seats and replace with non airbag ones. Modifying in a way that looks less safe (no airbag) is probably not ok if anyone ever checked - like a rego check.

6 minutes ago, matt36415 said:

Pure speculation....... it may be illegal to remove airbag seats and replace with non airbag ones. Modifying in a way that looks less safe (no airbag) is probably not ok if anyone ever checked - like a rego check.

Definitely do agree, seats that come with airbags would be more safe, however to my knowledge I don’t think mine do? I could be wrong but they don’t appear too.

8 hours ago, matt36415 said:

Good point Matt.  Probably worth checking with local Authorities as this may warrant a defect notice.

8 hours ago, Crimson Zr6 said:

Definitely do agree, seats that come with airbags would be more safe, however to my knowledge I don’t think mine do? I could be wrong but they don’t appear too.

I'm pretty sure the 40 series Aurion has the seat airbags. There should be a tag sewn into the piping on the outer part of the upright section. 

Here's a snippet from the Official Toyota Press Release:

Aurion's front seats employ Toyota's WIL (whiplash-injury lessening) design to reduce the chance of neck injury in a rear-end collision.

Aurion has a dual stage front SRS airbag system, which measures the intensity of the collision and deploys the airbags accordingly.

Front-seat side airbags and side curtain-shield airbags are also standard equipment.

Here's the full Release:

https://toyota.pressroom.com.au/press_kit_detail.asp?clientID=2&navSectionID=6&categoryID=1000&kitID=203#:~:text=The Aurion V6 range starts,Assist and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution.

• Thanks 1