Ceramic Coatings. AvalonKing Armour Shield IX

Tony Prodigy

Hey Gents,

With the advent of Graphene based coatings, ceramics still and will have a place in the detailing world.

The main reason for this post is to not only bring attention to like minded people about the benefits of ceramic coatings but to let you know about a deal that is currently on offer by one of the 4 product makers he recommends in the video. AvalonKing.

Most ceramic coatings have a protection of around 2 years and require "toppings" to keep the coating active and work to its fullest potential. The AvalonKing Armour Sheild IX has a protection lifespan of up to 4 to 5 years and according to Pan himself, doesn't need any toppers. So I think that's a great testament to the product and I know Pan would never lie to his viewers. The claim comes straight from the manufacturer too.

AvalonKing have their Armour Shield IX on a special offer if you use the promo code pan25 for your discount. Normally ceramic coatings sell for over $100 for one bottle but if you buy the Armour Shield IX and apply the U.S.$25 discount you get a pretty fantastic deal. If you buy one it you'll pay U.S. $6.99 shipping but two kits get you free worldwide shipping. 

I have already purchased two kits and look forward to treating mine and my Dad's Aurions. It can also be applied to all other exterior hard surfaces such as glass, headlights and plastic trim for full UV protection. Very easy to use as a DIY so don't be afraid to use it. Follow the instructions and you can't go wrong.

It comes in a kit as follows

Armor-Shield-IX-Nano-Ceramic-Coating-1.j
30ml Bottle Armor Shield IX
sponge-112.jpg
Application Sponge
applicator-suede-112.jpg
Applicator Suedes x3
nitrile-gloves-112.jpg
Professional Nitrile Gloves
microfiber-towel-112-1.jpg
Microfiber Buffing Towel

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Thanks 1

Saw the same video and yes Pan really explained the facts and cleared up the myths with ceramic coatings, I was really surprised about Avalonking giving such a long life protection..so yes a good deal for sure on those kits..have added to the must do some thinking about list..as money is a bit tight right now.

Thanks for posting all the details Tony

Keep Safe Keep Strong

KAA

Interesting that it has double the lifespan of your typical coating.

On another note Tony have you used or know of a ceramic coating that's for dark/warm colours that may create a similar effect as a warm coloured wax ? I'm thinking Kamikaze or even Angelwax. Not looked into this lately, not for over a year at least. Cheers 🙂

4 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

have you used or know of a ceramic coating that's for dark/warm colours that may create a similar effect as a warm coloured wax ?

That's an excellent question G. I haven't used any personally,  but I doubt there would be a ceramic coating that can mimic carnauba wax the way nature intended. I have researched this a bit and found little. The chemistry of SI02 is totally different to that of carnauba and hence I would say no.

Kamikaze claim to have such a product, but I'd take it with a grain of salt with the marketing hype. It's a very competitive industry and until you've tried several products (at great expense) you'll never really know. It can get expensive real quick.

If it's that warm glow you're after, I'd put down a ceramic coat first and then top it with a sacrificial layer of your favourite carnauba wax. There are plenty to choose from, even ones that are SI02 infused. Fireball have come a long way, and they have amazing products. High end stuff.

Here's a few links for you to ponder

http://www.fireballaustralia.com.au/product-brazil-wax/
http://www.fireballaustralia.com.au/product-show-car-wax/
http://www.fireballaustralia.com.au/product-fusion-wax-tourbillon-kit/
https://detailcentral.com.au/angelwax-enigma-ceramic-wax/
https://detailcentral.com.au/kamikaze-ism-coat-2-0-30ml/

• Thanks 1

Hi Gents,

My order from Avalon King in the U.S. arrived today and I am pretty stoked. The presentation of this product is outstanding. I can't wait to apply it too. Might have to wait until my break over Christmas when I'm off unless I have a small miracle in the meantime and hopefully do a follow up review as well.

20201117_160826.jpg

20201117_160835.jpg

20201117_160859.jpg

20201117_161636.jpg

20201117_161707.jpg

20201117_161807.jpg

20201117_161956.jpg

20201117_162009.jpg

20201117_162024.jpg

• Like 1

WOW a bright and shiny product love it..also liked the apply smile enjoy logo..I am sure you will let us all know if that miracle does arrive before the man in the red suit time arrives

Thanks for the pic's as well shows great pride in their products when packaged so well... i can see Tony's face now drooling 🤣🤣🤣

KAA

• Haha 2

• 7 months later...

To be honest, I haven't had the opportunity as yet to use it on my own car, but I did however do a full paint correction and application of this product on my friend's MX5. 

I can report that the product was easy to use in terms of application and wipe off, but as far as longevity goes, only time will tell. I have also instructed my friend to observe the correct maintenance wash procedure to help from marring the surface. There is a general consensus that because it's called a "ceramic" coat, that this automatically means it's like a hard impenetrable shell that protects from stone chips and scratches. It most certainly does not. It's more of a barrier to resist chemical and UV degradation, help maintain gloss and slickness. The slickness comes into play really to keep most road grime from sticking and help with water beading/sheeting, also reducing the potential for water spotting, thus making it easier to clean. If you foam the car up before washing, the soapy emulsion helps lift the particles before your contact wash can begin.

The preparation procedure I followed on this particular car was one I learned from a highly respected detailer. Correct preparation is important to the longevity of the coating. It needs to bond well with the surface so in any case a ceramic coating is applied, a primer of sorts needs to be put down first. 
In this case, after paint correction was done with the various cutting compounds, I finished the surface with Carpro Essence, which is an Sio2 infused finishing compound which adds a ceramic primer base to the clearcoat. This then allows the ceramic coating to adhere to the surface like when you mesh your fingers together. 

Some people apply two coats, but one thorough coat is enough. If you cross hatch the application you will get an even spread. The product flashes off very quickly, but I like to give it a minute or so and do one small section at a time. For Example, roof is broken up into four sections and 6 if it's longer, doors-two or four, front guards-two sections, bonnet four sections etc.

Apply with the supplied applicator, buff off with the one fresh microfibre towel, then wipe it over again with another fresh cloth to mop up anything missed form the initial wipe.

I am planning to apply this Avalon King to mine and my Dad's Aurion, so until then will I be able to do a follow up report. Keep tuned though. I will do a thorough write up on this.

20201127_170727.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Tony
I am in Sydney, was looking for local products here online if any is similar and cheaper 
I have a ceramic paint so will clay it and wax till I decide to order 🙂 

17 hours ago, GaganT said:

I have a ceramic paint

Not sure what you mean here, but would I be right in saying you have it coated in ceramic coating ?

P.M me when you're ready to buy products and I can steer you in the right direction.

I recently did a thorough detail on my Aurion (May 4th 2021) and I needed to apply a sealant just to get me by until I prepare to do the full blown ceramic coating.

I ended up using the Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coat, which they reckon is good for up to 12 months. 

It's been a month and a half so far and it still looks as fresh as the day it went on. i know it's still early days, but I am confident Turtle Wax will hold up really well for what it is and for the price.

I took these photos yesterday morning. Car sits outside in the weather each day.

Beads of Glory !!

Screenshot_20210620-095158_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210620-095211_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210620-095232_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210620-095245_Gallery.jpg

20210502_134724.jpg

• Like 1