2zz bogging and less performance

Greetings from Barbados.

1. My 2002 2zz Jdm Allex is moving off, bogging a bit, then accelerating smoothly to redline.

2. The idle is steady but the exhaust sounds like the engine has stage 2 cams.

3. The car experiences random backfires when cruising at low speeds.

4. It's struggling to keep up with cars it used to demolish (20v 4age's)

I've changed the maf, plugs, filter, and cleaned the throttle body. The car still feels the same.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Have you checked any fuel related items like the fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors etc?

Are there any modifications done to the car also? If you've done any, did you notice the issue after they were added?

2 hours ago, Squalled said:

Have you checked any fuel related items like the fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors etc?

Are there any modifications done to the car also? If you've done any, did you notice the issue after they were added?

I haven't modded the car. I haven't checked the fueling components. Next step is to change the coil packs. Thanks for the response.

1 hour ago, kevman77 said:

I haven't modded the car. I haven't checked the fueling components. Next step is to change the coil packs. Thanks for the response.

Not a problem. I have seen coil packs get cracks in them, hopefully it's something as simple as that which solves your issue.

23 hours ago, Squalled said:

Not a problem. I have seen coil packs get cracks in them, hopefully it's something as simple as that which solves your issue.

I hope that solves the issue. Parts here are really expensive though.

5 hours ago, kevman77 said:

I hope that solves the issue. Parts here are really expensive though.

Very good reason to thoroughly diagnose a problem for the underlying cause instead of just throwing parts and lots of $$$.

Time to get out a good magnifying glass to look for possible cracks in the coil pack, as suggested and/or do a diagnostic test.

In other vehicles, when there has been a coil pack issue, a Check Engine Light has appeared. A good idea to also do an OBD II scan looking for an stored error codes.

Something else to look for is vacuum leaks so check the hoses and their connections.

4 hours ago, campbeam said:

Very good reason to thoroughly diagnose a problem for the underlying cause instead of just throwing parts and lots of $$$.

Time to get out a good magnifying glass to look for possible cracks in the coil pack, as suggested and/or do a diagnostic test.

In other vehicles, when there has been a coil pack issue, a Check Engine Light has appeared. A good idea to also do an OBD II scan looking for an stored error codes.

Something else to look for is vacuum leaks so check the hoses and their connections.

Thanks for the advice. Car, in km, is at 280k so the coils might be weak by now I think.