Tyre Recommendations

TommyM

So, ladies & gentlemen... few months update.

I've been monitoring my tyre life, but unfortunately i have to report the current continental tyres on my Avalon are wearing pretty averagely. There's nothing wrong with my alignment, etc - but the grip is negligible.

Now the factory rim size off memory is

16x6 JJ with (off memory) 45° offset

205/60/R16 were factory fitted 

I upgraded to 215/55/R16

Slightly lower profile, speedo accuracy is negligible (1.48% out)

Where as i want to correct that, now i can technically JUST fit a 225/55/R16 and get more grip, and also the speedo correction will basically be -0.23 (essentially dead accurate)

Because even the continental's i have at the moment struggle for grip if i really push the Avalon from a stand still in some situations, i just guess she was made on a good day, it has no issue getting out of it's way. Also braking isn't as good which shocks me.

Can anyone reccomend branded/respected brands with great grip over what i have, even so a 225 should boost grip substantially over a 205. I could get 205/55's in Michelin Pilot Sport 4's but personally i wana try have more rubber on the road if possible. I know the PS4's are excellent regardless of the size

Sizes i'm after preferably 225/55/R16 or 215/55/R16

Last resort is a 205/55/R16 Pilot Sport 4 unless i get more grip from the alternates. 

Edited by TommyM

I am mainly interested in Touring tyres with excellent wet weather performance. It is why I have the latest generation of the Michelin Primacy tyres on my shortlist. They are available in the sizes that you are wanting.

You could look at the Bridgestone Potenza and there is a current 4 for 3 promotion.

If you are after a top quality performance tyre then you should seriously consider the Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

I am mainly interested in Touring tyres with excellent wet weather performance. It is why I have the latest generation of the Michelin Primacy tyres on my shortlist. They are available in the sizes that you are wanting.

You could look at the Bridgestone Potenza and there is a current 4 for 3 promotion.

If you are after a top quality performance tyre then you should seriously consider the Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

Only thing is PS4's aren't available in my size unfortunately.

I'm sticking away from conti's knowing how poorly they wear, i could go Pirelli P7 Cinturato's but again, they're disappointing.

I've seen really positive results first hand from the new Yokohama BluEarth AE51 GT's, they're a really decent tyre. Vastly improved over the AE50's, especially in tread design, wet grip, etc.

Michelin Primacy 4's i've also seen good reviews on.

I already run Pilot Sport 4's on my Calais (235/45/R17), they're super sticky. Great comfort, grip especially, etc.

I prefer quality brands. I'd never touch a Bridgestone, they lack in key areas 😂😂

I contemplated Conti UC6's but seeing they're made in China, i'll pass... especially the "premium" for Continental.

My main shortlist was

(Availability in 215/55/R16 or with a squeeze for more grip even though putting a 225 on a 16x6 rim isn't common, but it's still safe)

Yokohama BluEarth AE51 GT

*(215/55/R16 97 W)

(225/55/R16 99 W)

Michelin Primacy 4

*(215/55/R16 97 W) 

(225/55/R16 99 W) 

Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2

*(215/55/R16 97 W)

(225/55/R16 95 W)

I've used these before & they're a solid tyre if i'm honest. Very dependable in the wet, even in cars with more hp/torque than my Avalon.

All have similar load ratings so choosing can be difficult 😂

So after speaking to my guys at Tyrepower (owner & next best fitter), a contact i acquired when i was with Mercedes. I told them my strict criteria. And after my near close call today, the conti's are going. They don't have adequate slits to allow water to escape so they're going ASAP (all 5 wheels)

Yokohama BluEarth GT's AE51 are the number one recommended. For the best all round firm GT tyre.

And to confirm on a 16x6, 225 is the absolute widest you can go safely. 

Usually 215 is recommended. 

But hey, keep the ideas rolling 😁

Edited by TommyM

1 hour ago, TommyM said:

But hey, keep the ideas rolling 😁

Most likely because I am price sensitive 😁, I noticed that 215/60/16 size tyres were cheaper than 215/55/16 or 225/55/16 tyres.

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

Most likely because I am price sensitive 😁, I noticed that 215/60/16 size tyres were cheaper than 215/55/16 or 225/55/16 tyres.

I want a tyre i can have spirited driving with, hence the lower profile. It's actually funny because i could swear 205/60's were more expensive than 215/55's 😂

3 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

I'm a long time fan of Yokies but not tried them in years. Isn't the BluEarth an Eco tyre ?

The AE50 was more a mild GT & eco 

But they weren't a true eco tyre if that makes sense ?. Where the AE51 is aimed more at GT, handling, wet & dry stopping improvements, tread was redesigned for better water removal, grip, whilst being comfortable but not as soft compared to a Primacy 4. The latest 51's are worth a run.

Stiffer sidewalls too, thus improving handling somewhat. 

I think the eco range is Yokohama BluEarth ES 

BluEarth A AE50 

New* BluEarth GT AE51

Still sold as seperate tyres but Yokohama have come a very long way recently. They've basically expanded the BluEarth range.

Pics below you can see the clear tread improvements (water, slits, etc)

20201209_003908.jpg

20201209_003841.jpg