New member Suzy with 1988 Tarago in Victoria

Suzy Keys

Hi Suzy and welcome to the forum !

It's rare we get to see pics on a first post so well done. I love being able to share images of anything of interest and it's great you did.

Looks like you've got it all covered there in your recreational vehicle. Good to see you out and enjoying life during these difficult times.

I remember when those Tarago's came out, i think it was '83 when the first of these surfaced. It was a nice shape for the day and has aged pretty well considering. Just don't go too fast around corners as they are notorious for tipping, not that you'd drive like that anyway. Just saying.

How long have you had this one ?

The factory alloys look nice too.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum Suzy, Thanks for the Pic's, she looks a great Tarago still so well done, my wife and I had an 86 and loved it. Please keep safe when out and about right now and wishing you and your loved ones a safe and enjoyable Christmas

KAA

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2020 at 9:35 PM, KAA said:

Welcome to the forum Suzy, Thanks for the Pic's, she looks a great Tarago still so well done, my wife and I had an 86 and loved it. Please keep safe when out and about right now and wishing you and your loved ones a safe and enjoyable Christmas

KAA

On 12/18/2020 at 8:03 PM, Tony Prodigy said:

It's rare we get to see pics on a first post so well done. I love being able to share images of anything of interest and it's great you did.

Looks like you've got it all covered there in your recreational vehicle. Good to see you out and enjoying life during these difficult times.

I remember when those Tarago's came out, i think it was '83 when the first of these surfaced. It was a nice shape for the day and has aged pretty well considering. Just don't go too fast around corners as they are notorious for tipping, not that you'd drive like that anyway. Just saying.

Hi Tony, I had a slide going round a corner a few days ago. I've had it since 2014 and spent a lot on it since.  It recently had a new alternator put in by Motorserve in Canberra and new radiator by Toyota Cooma. Now it needs an aircon compressor.  So far I haven't been able to find one. Any ideas 💡? I'm in Melbourne at the moment. 

It does have lovely lines and I especially like the sliding skylite and automatic transmission. 

Thanks

Suzy

Hey Suzy. Not sure where you'd be able to find a compressor, but I would start with asking a local mechanic who deals with A/C. I'm pretty sure your car has had the retro fit done at some point in it's life and it is also possible the compressor may not be the original either. The mechanic will need to look at the compressor nameplate and cross reference one for you. It is possible a later gen compressor may fit.

Originally the Aircon systems ran on R12 refrigerant and then in 1992 it was mandated world wide for the switch to R134a because it had zero ozone depletion potential, so cars after 1994 had R134a and all pre 1994 cars either had the retro fit done or they went without air conditioning if the system happened to fail. Remember when they discovered the hole on our Ozone layer ?? That was the start of this radical overhaul in which refrigerants were being used. It also crossed over into the HVAC industry. R12 had an Ozone depletion potential of 1.0, which was pretty substantial in the scheme of things. Imagine the many millions of cars around the world with this stuff in them and at some point in their life would've been vented to atmosphere. Not good for the environment.

I'm sure you should be able to get another compressor or they may even be able to recondition the existing one. The latter may be a stretch as we have become a throw away society and the art of fixing things is slowly disappearing unfortunately, but it's worth asking.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :thumbsup:

On 12/18/2020 at 9:35 PM, KAA said:

KAA

Hi Tony, I had a slide going round a corner a few days ago. I've had it since 2014 and spent a lot on it since.  It recently had a new alternator put in by Motorserve in Canberra and new radiator by Toyota Cooma. Now it needs an aircon compressor.  So far I haven't been able to find one. Any ideas 💡? I'm in Melbourne at the moment. 

It does have lovely lines and I especially like the sliding skylite and automatic transmission. 

Thanks

Suzy

Thanks Tony,

I took it to Greensborough Ultratune twice recently and $900 later I have no air con. They said there is a hole in the compressor and they couldn't find another one either from after market or wreckers. They said there was nothing written on it when I asked and they had put it all back. I was furious with them.  They told me to go find the part and they would put it in. It's using 134 gas so must have had the exchange.

I don't know much about these things so my cousin Tony who does, says it must be out there somewhere. 

Cheers

Suzy

5 hours ago, Suzy Keys said:

Thanks Tony,

I took it to Greensborough Ultratune twice recently and $900 later I have no air con. They said there is a hole in the compressor and they couldn't find another one either from after market or wreckers. They said there was nothing written on it when I asked and they had put it all back. I was furious with them.  They told me to go find the part and they would put it in. It's using 134 gas so must have had the exchange.

I don't know much about these things so my cousin Tony who does, says it must be out there somewhere. 

Cheers

Suzy

So what you're saying is that it was working before you took it to ultratune ??

If so, then they are responsible for it. I don't understand what they mean by it has a "hole". If refrigerant has leaked out, it's possible that the o ring seals need inspecting. They can do a pressure test for this. The compressor is just a pump with a clutch. It either works or doesn't. 

See if you can get a second opinion 

I agree with Tony's comments that if it was working before work was done they are responsible for the fixing of it! if it wasn't working then I would suggest looking online for the compressor, there are aircon places that recondition compressors, the HOLE in it as Tony said is probably something as simple as o rings which can be replaced. It sounds to me that they are not telling you the whole story about what the issue is. I am pretty sure there are wreckers online who will do a Australia wide search for good second hand parts to sort what you need. Do as Tony suggested and get the compressor pressure tested that will give you the complete information, and as far as not having a name on it if it is an original part from Toyota there are only a few compressors that they used and an aftermarket one will still do the job of keeping you cool on our hot days

Keep Well and Keep us up to date Suzy

KAA