Fuel Filter Replacement 40 Series Aurion

campbeam

My 2006 Aurion ATX now has 225,675 kms on the odometer. It could be somewhat overdue for a fuel filter replacement.

I do not know whether the fuel filter was replaced before 165,000 kms when I bought the vehicle. 

Ryco Z646 or equivalent is a direct fitment for the 40 Series Aurion. 

I have previously watched a number of YouTube videos. Removing the bottom cushion of the rear seat was relatively easy. Prying off the cover was also easy but that black adhesive is messy. I used 2 small screwdrivers, 1 to push on the retaining clip of the electrical connector and the other one to pry it up. As per the YouTube videos, I started the engine which only ran for a minute before dying and this reduced the system pressure. I then fully removed the yellow plastic retaining clip and the hose came off quite easily.

I used a large round magnet [instead of a parts tray] to keep track of the small 8mm ring retaining bolts. 

It was quite easy to manouvre out the fuel filter and pump assembly.

Hard part was disassembling the various components to get down to just the fuel filter body. Multiple small screwdrivers and/or pick tools will be needed to unclip various parts.

Hardest challenge was removing the sender unit which I found out has 2 parts. Upper part can be removed by pushing upwards. Base component is removed by pushing downwards so that the underneath tabs move into a small rectangular area then it releases and can be pried loose. 

Fuel pump is removed by pushing downwards. An upper o-ring is what holds the pump in position. I tried to spray clean the fuel pump strainer sock but no noticeable difference. Fortunately, I had previous bought some on eBay which were a smaller size but did fit. This is the type of strainer sock with a straight hole for the retaining clip.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32788433064.html 

Round metal item located at the bottom of the fuel filter body is also held in position with an o-ring. Just needs a bit of leverage to come loose. 

It would be nice to say that everything worked the first time. However, not the case. Big learning is to check that you have no parts left on your work area. I had forgotten to reclip a bottom retaining cover under the fuel pump and which also retains that abovementioned round metal item which I had to fish out of the fuel tank. 

Fortunately, everything is working and engine is able to idle and accelerate nicely.

Something that I noticed the next day is that the engine is now idling lower by about 100 rpm. The fuel sender unit is working showing fuel level at the expected half level. Next test will be to refuel the car and check the indicated fuel level. 

Overall, this is a task which can be done in 2-3 hours. With a lot better preparation, you should be able to reduce that to 1-2 hours. 

I will post some pictures later and possibly some links to worthwhile YouTube videos.

It is a very fiddly job as you may remember my debacle when trying to do mine a while back. Unclipping and reclipping at together can be a bit daunting but it's amazing how strong the plastic is and its ability to flex. I could swear I was going to break mine :laugh:

I took a whole heap of photos during each stage of disassembly so my forgetful brain doesn't miss anything. In the end I ended up having to do it twice because the numbnuts selling the fuel filter kit for 50 series supplied the wrong part. It was designed for the ASV50 Camry NOT the GSV50 Aurion. You 40 series owners are lucky in that there is an abundant supply of alternative fuel filter kits, but for the 50 series it's either Toyota Stealership or Coopers. I believe Coopers (Wesfil) have the sole manufacturing rights for this particular make of vehicle. 

I several stocked up plenty on fuel filters as the price was too good to ignore. I have seen one other seller selling them for twice what I paid so I think I got a pretty good deal. Might wait a little longer before tackling this again. Car seems to be running just fine on the original filter.

Thanks for the post Ash :thumbsup:

On 12/30/2020 at 10:34 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

Might wait a little longer before tackling this again. Car seems to be running just fine on the original filter.

Based upon various internet posts, appears that the in-tank filters on Toyotas are supposedly lifetime and are mainly replaced when the fuel pump needs to be replaced.

Only if there is a problem with the engine performance would you need to replace the fuel filter. 

https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/fuel-filter-needs-replacing/ 

In my case, I noticed a difference on a 2018 road trip when doing hard acceleration compared to the 2017 road trip. There was also some hesitation so have replaced spark plugs, coil packs and fuel injector cleaner.

Aurion is now accelerating very nicely after replacing the fuel filter and the fuel pump strainer sock. 

I am thinking from a preventative maintenance perspective that it is more important to clean/replace the fuel pump strainer sock thus extending the lifetime of the fuel pump.

10 hours ago, campbeam said:

I am thinking from a preventative maintenance perspective that it is more important to clean/replace the fuel pump strainer sock thus extending the lifetime of the fuel pump.

What's you're source for filter socks Ash ?

I tried searching Ebay and no joy.

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

What's you're source for filter socks Ash ?

I tried searching Ebay and no joy.

I sourced filter socks from eBay a few years ago. 

Not sure if this part from AutoBarn will fit.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/sp166679 

Attached photos show how discoloured the filter has become. 

I just held the used strainer sock up close to a light bulb and the light was fully blocked. Very different for a new strainer sock.1474379191_fuelpumpstrainersock.thumb.jpg.81d3b82a16f5c6c18254c6a299d58ce4.jpg   1315519313_fuelfilter.thumb.jpg.cebe1a031e013571f247231b58001865.jpg

• Thanks 1

Cool , thanks Ash.

It is amazing how the assembly discolours over time. It starts off life as a bright white plastic piece and then slowly turns a pale shade of brown. It has to be made of some very special plastic though for it to be able to withstand living in petrol for the time it does.

I'll try and see if I can find socks and keep as spare. Never know with those things, the collars have a tendency to break.

Also on the cleaning aspect, I think I used carb cleaner on mine when I had it apart. Cleaned up nicely. 

Also on the cleaning aspect, I think I used carb cleaner on mine when I had it apart. Cleaned up nicely. 

I used Bendix Brake and Parts Cleaner and no obvious change. Therefore, I changed the pre-filter sock. The other thing that I noticed during the disassembly was that any fuel coming out was clean and there were no dirt particles etc. 

I'll try and see if I can find socks and keep as spare. Never know with those things, the collars have a tendency to break.

That explains why there is wire re-reinforcement around the collar as well as maintaining a snug fit to the fuel pump. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32788433064.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.2fd4736axxEGqA

• Like 1