Sportivo - Tyre Recommendations

Just checking what tyres you guys recommend for the stivo these days.

I’ve always been running on Bridgestone Potenza 195/55R16 RE003 for the past 5+ years.

12 hours ago, layzie said:

Just checking what tyres you guys recommend for the stivo these days.

I’ve always been running on Bridgestone Potenza 195/55R16 RE003 for the past 5+ years.

Are you running the stock rims? Personally I ran 205/50 Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on my 16" rims for a few years and they were waaaaay better than the RE002s I had before. Wet and dry, there was endless grip with them. Only downside was I felt it accelerated a little slower than the RE002 only because I went with 50 profile where as the 002's were 45 profile.

Most guys these days tend to run 205/50 which IMO looks perfect on 16s, 45 profile looks a little small but the acceleration is much nicer. I personally don't rate RE003's that high after having Pilot Sport 4's. I re-call seeing RE004's and possibly new Pilot Sports are arriving in Aus some time this year so might be worth waiting for reviews on those tyres to come out since RE003s and PS4s are an older design.

If you need new tyres now, I'd high recommend Michelin PS4's. They're a bit pricey but well worth it.

11 minutes ago, Squalled said:

If you need new tyres now, I'd high recommend Michelin PS4's. They're a bit pricey but well worth it.

Yep, I'm running on stock rims. Cool thanks for the suggestion on the 205/50s. Will be needing new tyres now but I'll check out the Michelin PS4s.

Yeah will be interested to see reviews on the new RE004s when they come out.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up getting the Michelin PS4s on the 205/50s a few weeks ago and can definitely tell they grip much more than the Bridgestones.

What tyre pressure did you have them on? The place that fitted them suggested they should be 34psi.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:58 PM, layzie said:

I ended up getting the Michelin PS4s on the 205/50s a few weeks ago and can definitely tell they grip much more than the Bridgestones.

What tyre pressure did you have them on? The place that fitted them suggested they should be 34psi.

Ah great choice mate. From memory I ran them anywhere between around 36-38 psi, can't really re-call too much as I had a puncture repair done and they filled them with nitrogen which I didn't want -_- 

3 hours ago, Squalled said:

Ah great choice mate. From memory I ran them anywhere between around 36-38 psi, can't really re-call too much as I had a puncture repair done and they filled them with nitrogen which I didn't want -_- 

I have to agree. The Michelin PS4 are a cut above the rest. I will most likely switch to these from the Primacy when it's time. I'm trying to milk as much life out of my current set as they aren't wearing evenly. I have to keep switching them around lol.. 

They're still safe, don't worry. I wouldn't compromise otherwise. Good thing about Michelins is that they have excellent wear characteristics. Just have to keep an eye on the alignment (which I didn't do) to try and keep them wearing unevenly as mine have done.