Best spot to jack up car for oil change?

jhcamry

Hey guys

I have a 2010 Toyota camry altise, trolley jack and 2 stands

Just wondering, where is the best spot to jack up a car  using a trolley jack and then put on stands so i can go under the car to do an engine oil change?

My brother showed me where to jack the car up with a trolley jack in my previous car but he passed away and i dont own the previous car anymore

I am competent in changing the engine oil and engine oil filter, i just need some help identifying the best place to jack up the car with a trolley jack

Thanks 

Edited by jhcamry

• 2 weeks later...

Goddamn, the way scotty drops the car onto that jack stand and drops it on the ground...

In that video he uses the floor jack with the pinch welds, while you can do this, doing it regularly will bend those welds unless you have the rubber adapter that allows for the pinch weld to sit in a slot, or an old hockey puck sliced out for that pinch weld. Better to jack it up using the front and rear crossmembers, assuming they're not rusted through. Center of each crossmember may have a visible bump/lump as seen in the video - this is a great jacking point. Then place jack stands somewhere under the frame rails.

Front crossmember is in front of the front wheels and has a small bump in the middle.

11 hours ago, Ed. said:

Goddamn, the way scotty drops the car onto that jack stand and drops it on the ground...

In that video he uses the floor jack with the pinch welds, while you can do this, doing it regularly will bend those welds unless you have the rubber adapter that allows for the pinch weld to sit in a slot, or an old hockey puck sliced out for that pinch weld. Better to jack it up using the front and rear crossmembers, assuming they're not rusted through. Center of each crossmember may have a visible bump/lump as seen in the video - this is a great jacking point. Then place jack stands somewhere under the frame rails.

Front crossmember is in front of the front wheels and has a small bump in the middle.

Haha, yeah. I've noticed that about Scotty. He's rough as guts but a brilliant mechanic.

The only downside with jacking up from the cross members, and it's no biggy, is that you'll need a decent sized trolley jack to be able to reach in, especially on the back. I have more fun trying to jack the rear up than the front with my bohemoth back breaker trolley jack. If you have one of the more modern twin piston jacks it would be ideal as they jack up a lot faster than the older single piston type. Forget the small trolley jack on the rear member. 

I never jack the car from the sill if I can help it, but for jacking up the car from the sill, I would also recommend the jack pad adapter for jack and stands.  I purchased a couple of different types a while back myself.

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg