Cruise control setting problem.

Dave66

I've got a 2020 Edge and noticed that sometimes when you press the set button on the cruise control, that it sets the cruise speed to 1km faster than the speed displayed on the speedo.  For example the speedo shows 80, when you press the set button it shows 81 as the cruise control speed.  If you then use the "-" to change the setting to 80, the car will cruise at 79 instead. The same happens in adaptive mode if you set the speed based on the speed signs. The display shows 60,70,80 or 100, but the cruise control will only achieve 59,69,79 or 99 when cruising. Interestingly enough if you manage to set the cruise control to the match the speed shown on the speedo then it will hold at the displayed speed.

I think it has something to do with the throttle, if my foot was resting on the throttle, and applying a minimum force it would set correctly, if I was in a cruising mode, or had no pressure on the pedal, it would set it 1km higher. 

When I get a chance I'll put up a video of this.

Anyone seen this?  

Edited by Dave66
grammar

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum mate. I'm not sure why your cruise does what it does but in the bigger scheme of things, it's the last thing you need to worry about. Your speedo is set higher than the actual speed anyway so this issue you think you have is actually nothing to worry about. Even if your speedo reads 82 or 83 in an 80 zone, you can be assured that you are not speeding. Speedometers are mandated by law to read approximately 5 kM/HR higher than the actual travelling speed.

John Cadogan explains it well here

Edited by Tony Prodigy

• 2 weeks later...

This is not about the real speed. My point is that when I press the set button on the cruise it should set the cruise speed to the the speed shown, not add 1 KM to the speed. So if it shows 76 on the speedo and I press the set button, it should set the cruise to 76, not 77.

42 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

This is not about the real speed. My point is that when I press the set button on the cruise it should set the cruise speed to the the speed shown, not add 1 KM to the speed. So if it shows 76 on the speedo and I press the set button, it should set the cruise to 76, not 77.

Best go talk to your Toyota Dealer. Maybe they can hook up Techstream or other diagnostic tools to check the calibration.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 3:50 PM, Dave66 said:

I understood what you said. I would honestly say that this is a normal thing in Toyota's and I dare say, other makes and models. I highly doubt there is an issue. It either works or it doesn't. I'd also be interested to hear what the Toyota techs have to say. I think they'll echo my thoughts. 

In reality, 1km/hr over is really nothing to worry about as it is well within the range of the speedo error so it won't inadvertently have you breaking the speed limit.

I really wouldn't worry about it, but it is worth enquiring about. Let us know what they reckon. 

Took it to the dealer today for a check. Had them drive the car and see the problem. Waiting for them to get another RAV4 to see if this happens in other RAV's. Yep I know it's a minor issue, but it's a Toyota, and I just expect the Japanese to be exact.