2019 Camry deceleration

Derek Birch

Your vehicle does not have a turbo.

Slow deacceleration is due to the transmission remaining in the higher gear.

Slight tap of the brakes will encourage the transmission to drop into a lower gear. 

Thanks Ashley,

It goes so well I thought it had one!

Another question - with cruise on and approaching a slower vehicle, mine will slow often quite rapidly by braking automatically, however at highway speeds and running down hill, the transmission will suddenly downshift, often 2 gears causing sudden rpm increase to over 4000 without automatically braking.

Toyota say this is normal but I wonder. 

Can you comment?

Regards,

Derek

Unfortunately, you are going to have to make the effort and read the owners manual especially all those safety features related to automatic braking.

Your newer model Camry has improved cruise control so the transmission is downshifting to stay within the cruise control parameters.

On my 2006 Toyota Aurion in the same scenario, there is no downshifting. On one long downhill run, speed increased to 120kph before eventually coming back to the preset 100 kph. Therefore, my cruise control is not set and forget especially in radar zones.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Derek Birch said:

Another question - with cruise on and approaching a slower vehicle, mine will slow often quite rapidly by braking automatically, however at highway speeds and running down hill, the transmission will suddenly downshift, often 2 gears causing sudden rpm increase to over 4000 without automatically braking.

Yep. It is normal. Welcome to the world of modern cars. It's a form of hill descent assist if your vehicle is equipped with it. Sounds like it is.

Thank you both for your comments.

I understand the reasoning relating to autonomous braking when approaching a slower vehicle, but why change down instead of braking to avoid overspeeding?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Derek,on your steering wheel there is a distance from car in front button.Try using it on number 3 setting then when approaching slow car it won't slow so suddenly.A good read of the manual and trying things out will probably surprise you .