Back to the Future Hilux

HueyLewis

Hi gang - have just joined as Im trying to find out if the model of Hilux from the original Back to the Future movie was ever released here in Australia. Does anyone here know? It was a 1985 Toyota Xtra Cab SR5.

I'd love to look into building a replica, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to source that exact model in Australia, or whether I might find something close enough, or whether I'll have to find that exact model in the States and have it shipped over.

Any knowledge would be appreciated - Thanks!

https___hypebeast.com_image_2020_04_toyota-pickup-back-to-the-future-11.jpg

Edited by HueyLewis

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/crestmead/cars-vans-utes/1985-extra-cab-4x4-hilux/1265445354

Not sure if the petrol model was available but I've seen them in diesel form. At least the body shell is available right ? The rest you can put together yourself.

I'm also a huge BTTF fan so I get it. I have many collectable pieces I've purchased over the years. The 80's were the best years !

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I bought new and still have a 1984 model which I believe was the year. It has a 3y petrol engine. Many however later fitted much more powerful engines because the 3y had trouble removing the skin off the top of custard. Its saving grace is that it keeps going and going, so I've kept mine although I put a "new" lead free second hand one in during the 1990's. (But kept the old one as it was still going well'  just making a bit of tappet noise)

This vehicle model was largely responsible for the Hilux "unbreakable" image and I can attest to that claim which is why I still have it. Mine is original with 250ks just clocked. I have used it continuously on my farm but not much in recent years. Intended full restoration but work and time caught up with me. We are now both retired to town and I'm wondering what to do with it but don't really want to lose it as its been so much of my life. But sensible suggestions would be appreciated

On 1/26/2021 at 3:36 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/crestmead/cars-vans-utes/1985-extra-cab-4x4-hilux/1265445354

Not sure if the petrol model was available but I've seen them in diesel form. At least the body shell is available right ? The rest you can put together yourself.

I'm also a huge BTTF fan so I get it. I have many collectable pieces I've purchased over the years. The 80's were the best years !

i miss the cartoons 

13 hours ago, Robert SL said:

I bought new and still have a 1984 model which I believe was the year. It has a 3y petrol engine. Many however later fitted much more powerful engines because the 3y had trouble removing the skin off the top of custard. Its saving grace is that it keeps going and going, so I've kept mine although I put a "new" lead free second hand one in during the 1990's. (But kept the old one as it was still going well'  just making a bit of tappet noise)

This vehicle model was largely responsible for the Hilux "unbreakable" image and I can attest to that claim which is why I still have it. Mine is original with 250ks just clocked. I have used it continuously on my farm but not much in recent years. Intended full restoration but work and time caught up with me. We are now both retired to town and I'm wondering what to do with it but don't really want to lose it as its been so much of my life. But sensible suggestions would be appreciated

Hi Robert.

I totally understand where you're coming from and I take my hat off to you for not only having purchased it new  all them years ago but managed to keep it all these years later. It's rare to find Hilux from that Era let alone a one owner vehicle. Very cool indeed. 

Not sure what condition it's in, but if it's still in good shape overall, then perhaps just give it a full detail and just keep it. Then at some later stage in your life, If you have nobody in the family to pass it onto, then consider selling it. I am sure an enthusiast would really appreciate it.