Oil Level In Dipstick After 600 Km journey. Normal oil level change or not?

CouchPotato

Hi Everyone,

I have recently bought a used 2004 Toyota Camry Altise with 180,000 miles on it. Mechanically sound and no oil leaks at all. I have recently completed a 600 km journey today and have noted down my before and after oil level on my dipstick. Due to bad experience in the past with other vehicles concerning oil, i have some questions. I have attached two pictures of my before and after journey oil level in my dipstick. There has been some oil consumption, my question is if this level of oil consumption normal or if there is any problem with it?

Journey details:

Majorly 110 kmph on cruise model

• No oil leaks
  • No blue tint smoke
  • No oil burn smell

Any advise/opinions is highly appreciated! Cheers.

After Journey.HEIC Before Journey.HEIC

Oil consumption should be minimal and there is a developing problem.

Have a look at recent posts and you will find one with a YouTube video by The Car Nut that explains why Toyota engines burn oil and the preventative measure.

Immediately do an oil and filter change using a quality oil preferably full synthetic. 

Do regular oil and filter changes every 6 months or 5000 kms whichever comes first. 

Also use the recommended oil viscosity for your engine i.e. 5W-40 

Hi Mate, thank you for your response, I shall watch it. I will be doing a service today for my car and my mechanic recommended to use the 10w40 oil. Is it better than 5w40 or does it not matter? Also, from the pictures, do you reckon the engine is burning oil?

Cheers.

Refer to your owner's manual for the recommended oil viscosity. I also look at the Lube Guide recomendations e.g. Penrite, Nulon, Castrol etc for your specific vehicle. 

After looking at that video by The Car Nut, my overall preference would be full synthetic 5W-40 but 10W-40 should be a good choice for the hot summer months.

From your pictures, I think that the oil is dirty and ready to be changed plus the oil level is down a bit.

Your engine is using oil. 

On 1/27/2021 at 11:53 AM, campbeam said:

Refer to your owner's manual for the recommended oil viscosity. I also look at the Lube Guide recomendations e.g. Penrite, Nulon, Castrol etc for your specific vehicle. 

After looking at that video by The Car Nut, my overall preference would be full synthetic 5W-40 but 10W-40 should be a good choice for the hot summer months.

From your pictures, I think that the oil is dirty and ready to be changed plus the oil level is down a bit.

Your engine is using oil. 

I had to download a program to view those pics. Sheesh. Talk about going the long way around. Uploading JPEGs would've been easier.

The oil level was low on the before shot no ? Then a bit lower after.

I suspect that engine has had the oil changed according to the stupid log book service and the oil rings are gummed up as a result. I reckon it's got sludge issues.

Needs a few short interval oil changes with 5w-30 and see what happens. What do you reckon Ash ?

Edited by Tony Prodigy

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I had to download a program to view those pics. Sheesh. Talk about going the long way around. Uploading JPEGs would've been easier.

The oil level was low on the before shot no ? Then a bit lower after.

I suspect that engine has had the oil changed according to the stupid log book service and the oil rings are gummed up as a result. I reckon it's got sludge issues.

Needs a few short interval oil changes with 5w-30 and see what happens. What do you reckon Ash ?

Very much inclined to agree.

Not sure that CouchPotato is DIY so probably paying a mechanic to do the oil and filter change.

Cost effective option would be to check the oil level after 500 kms then top up to full mark on the dipstick with diesel, if applicable. I expect that only 200ml of diesel will be required,  Repeat every 500-1000 kms until oil becomes dark in colour and do another oil and filter change, Main thing will be not to overfill the engine.

9 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

HEICs are what iPhones spit out (I think after iOS11 or something) if you don't specifically go in to the camera app and set it to Most Compatible (JPEG, H.264) instead of High Efficiency (HEIC/HEVC etc).  I had the same problem with my company-issued work phone, sneaky bastards...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the format as Hiro said it’s an iPhone picture. I’ve done a full oil drain and replaced my oil with 10w-40 and a new oil filter. I will now monitor the change in oil and report back. Thanks for the advise. 

cheers

10 hours ago, CouchPotato said:

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the format as Hiro said it’s an iPhone picture. I’ve done a full oil drain and replaced my oil with 10w-40 and a new oil filter. I will now monitor the change in oil and report back. Thanks for the advise. 

cheers

You're most welcome Amal. I hope it's good news from here on.

All the best :thumbsup: