Power steering leaks

Tom1

Hello everyone

I have a 2006 4x4 and although not too serious have developed slight weeping from the power steering rack which does seem to be increasing going by the garage floor. 

I’m in Perth and can’t find any where on Google that supplies these units locally, only over east with quite a large variation in price ($250-900)

Can someone please advise if there are seal kits for them or do I need to purchase a complete new assembly?
Is there a specific after market brand to look out for or steer clear of as the price variation seems quite extreme

Thanks for any input and advice

Regards Tom 

Hi Tony

Thanks for the welcome and reply.

I haven’t contacted Toyota as my mechanic recommend a complete unit replacement. Is it too hard or unreliable to replace seals only, is that why he recommended new unit maybe?

Thanks again

Regards Tom 

To be honest, I've never had to do one but I'd do a bit of research to see if it is something a DIYer can do. If the rack can be removed relatively easy, then I'd guess the rest would be fairly straight forward if you are mechanically inclined. Just need to do some research and prep essential tools and parts. Some people are just happy to have it swapped out with a reconditioned part. I would put money there are hundreds of Youtube videos on the subject. God Bless the internet !!

My Aurion is electric assist so I'll never need to worry about this, but I have a BMW M3 with a hydro assisted steering rack which may or may not give the opportunity to do if the time came. I would like to give it a crack myself. You can only stuff it up once right ? If you do, go and buy a reconditioned one and simply install it. See how you go.

Thanks Tony

Rung Toyota and they only sell a seal kit for the power steering pump and not the rack itself.

So im hoping someone can expand on my initial query re replacement racks and where I can buy over here

Thanks again for your input

Regards Tom 

4 minutes ago, Tom1 said:

Thanks Tony

Rung Toyota and they only sell a seal kit for the power steering pump and not the rack itself.

So im hoping someone can expand on my initial query re replacement racks and where I can buy over here

Thanks again for your input

Regards Tom 

No problem. Maybe google some steering shops in your area. I'm sure there should be a few around that can help.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help. 

• Thanks 1