Plastic burning smell.

RobJ

Hi all, I have been experiencing a smell like burning plastic. It happens only very occasionally, sometimes a few weeks apart and sometimes a couple of times a day.

When it happens, it only lasts a couple of minutes and then it is gone.....so strange!! I cannot see a pattern to the smell, except that it happens just after starting the car

and most times first time it is started in the morning. 

It has been happening for about 2 years now and the Toyota service centre where I go, does not know what it is.

I have looked extensively through the vehicle for burning electrical wiring but found nothing.

I don't think it is related to the wiring, but cannot find another reason.

Hopefully someone might have some advice or maybe someone has had the same problem.

Any help appreciated

Rob

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum.

I would have to say that if you're getting a plastic burning smell it could be attributable to something around the exhaust manifolds or your cooling system. It won't be wiring. 

You mention that it only happens for a few minutes when starting for the first time. Something around your exhaust is settling on the metal and is burning off more than likely. Can't say for sure what it is, but if you are able to get in there and have a good look around with a bright led light before you start it up to see if there is some kind of residue or possibly coolant or maybe even something plastic close enough to hot metal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Hi Tony,

I have finally found the culprit causing the plastic burning smell.

It was nothing to do with the vehicle itself, but was caused by the DC-DC charger mounted in the rear on the cargo barrier.

The input terminals had melted. I could not see them due to the charger being mounted low down near the floor.

Anyway, I assume one or both terminals maybe worked loose and had a high resistance connection, thus heating and consequently causing the burning plastic smell.

Problem solved, removed the terminals and hard wired straight onto the circuit board with an Anderson plug.

Found it purely by chance, noticed a piece of melted plastic on the floor under the charger!!!!

Regards

Rob

• Thanks 1