Is this quote a ripoff?

Trier

The 2002 Camry has been making scraping noises for a while, and there's red dust on one wheel rim. So I'm assuming I have a serious brake problem.

I took it to a local place, (won't name them yet), and I told them to check all four wheels and look at the condition of the brakes. I expect they'll all need new pads; haven't been done in years. Used to change them myself, but frankly it's just too much hard work for me now. I said that If it turned out to be necessary, they could machine the rotors when they replace the pads. Guy said something about getting IBS rotors. Then he quoted $339 for the front, and $384 for the rear. From what I've read elsewhere, this seems like a very high quote.

Anybody have an opinion on this? Advice will be much appreciated. Car is due to be done next week.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Trier said:

Then he quoted $339 for the front, and $384 for the rear. From what I've read elsewhere, this seems like a very high quote.

Hi Reg, I feel your pain. As simple as replacing pads and rotors sound, there is a bit of physicality to it and some level of production.

I'm assuming the prices for each front and back would include new rotors/pads/labour ?

If so, then it's not an unreasonable amount, but if you have a dig around on Ebay for the relevant parts and see where it lands. Ask them how much their labour rate is too. If there are no underlying issues, the job can be done in a couple of hours at a shop.

I would also assume that the job will include a full fluid flush too, which I highly recommend if your brakes haven't been tended to for years. The fluid should be flushed at least every two years otherwise your brake system will deteriorate quickly not to mention the safety aspect.

Here's what I found that might interest you.

Fronts

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Front-Bendix-Brake-Pads-and-Disc-Rotors-Set-for-Toyota-CAMRY-ACV36R-MCV36R-02-06/263428417168?hash=item3d558ea690:g:cTYAAOSwTmJatSkS

Rears

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rear-Brake-Pads-and-269mm-Disc-Rotors-for-Toyota-CAMRY-2-4L-ACV36R-3-0-2002-06/264707792380?epid=11005824726&hash=item3da1d05dfc:g:HzgAAOSwDQden7a6

I wish you all the best mate :thumbsup:

Thanks, Tony, that's very interesting. In those links, I note that the rear kit is cheaper than the front. Whereas he's quoted me ~ $50 more for the rears. When I suggested that some of the rotors might need machining, he said, "We'll probably get IBS", so I assume he meant they wouldn't bother with machining, and instead just get new rotors. At the prices quoted at those links, it probably would be cheaper just to get new ones.. I think I need to go have another chat with them and sort it out. Also I'll ask about the fluid flushing.

Thanks a lot for the tips. Tony. Much appreciated. ☺️

You're most welcome Reg.

Typically the rears will be a bit cheaper because the discs and pads are physically smaller hence the price difference. I'd avoid machining the discs, only if you have to but new discs are way better and safer. Pedal feel will be better and will keep cooler.

Never heard of IBS, but any of those brands on Ebay are fine. DBA are another good brand. I have those on my Aurion and are just as good as OEM.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :thumbsup: