Phantom noise in a Toyota Prado 1998

KrystalB

Hi everyone I have a Toyota prado 1998 model. I have owned for a year and primarily tow with it. In September last year it started making a random clunking sound, this happens in no particular circumstances. For example i have heard it as I am accelerating up hills, driving on straight flat roads even in idle lights. Its definitely not linked to turning, speeding up or slowing down, breaking etc. I am fairly sure its coming from under the drivers side but I can't be 100% certain. The car is mechanically sound, I just got it back from the mechanic today who can't find anything wrong with it. Has anyone had any issues like this? Or have any ideas what it could be? I am at my wits end.

Hi Krystal and welcome to the forum.

Noises and clunks can be tricky to find and it's more trial and error when trying to locate the source. It's very difficult to diagnose without being in the car and experiencing the sound. Even at idle you say. 

What I would do, and that's just me, is run the vehicle, make sure it's in park with the handbrake firmly on, and have someone look underneath to feel and look around and hope the clunk reveals itself. It's obviously something that is induced when the engine is running so having it up on a hoist with the engine off (as the mechanic may have done) may be fruitless. Just a thought.

I hope you figure it out. Let us know how you go.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Hi Tony, thanks for the suggestion my mechanic is going to look at it again next week so I will suggest that to him because I feel like I wouldn't even know what to look for myself. Its definitely very frustrating.