I'm New

bob007

Hi guys,

I've just joined and I'm glad I found this forum.  I have a 2019 Camry Ascent Petrol that I purchased new (January 2020) and is now one year old.  This is my first Camry and what an excellent car it is, as I've had Corollas for many years...Toyota certainly make great cars.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forum Michael. You made a wise choice purchasing a Camry. I'm sure it will give you years of trouble free motoring. Just out of interest, what oil service interval does your service book call for ?? Do you have the V6 ?

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Hello and welcome to the forum Michael. You made a wise choice purchasing a Camry. I'm sure it will give you years of trouble free motoring. Just out of interest, what oil service interval does your service book call for ?? Do you have the V6 ?

Hi Tony,

Oil change at 12mths/15000km...what ever comes first of cause but as I do short trips I always have the oil changed every 6mths and will with this car.  In 12mths I've only done just over 6000km.    It's a 4cyl 2.5L which is all I need, I get 11.3L per 100km according to the car.

Toyota says 7.6L per 100km, I don't see how I could get that maybe it's the short trips because I'm not a lead foot.   My last car was a 2001 Toyota Corolla 1.8L, I had it for 18yrs without any trouble.

1 hour ago, bob007 said:

Hi Tony,

Oil change at 12mths/15000km...what ever comes first of cause but as I do short trips I always have the oil changed every 6mths and will with this car.  In 12mths I've only done just over 6000km.    It's a 4cyl 2.5L which is all I need, I get 11.3L per 100km according to the car.

Toyota says 7.6L per 100km, I don't see how I could get that maybe it's the short trips because I'm not a lead foot.   My last car was a 2001 Toyota Corolla 1.8L, I had it for 18yrs without any trouble.

You are doing the right thing with oil changes every 6 months. Keep doing this and the engine will not give you any trouble with oil consumption due to the oil rings getting clogged up.

With short trips, oil is hardly getting up to operating temperature to get rid of contaminants e.g moisture build up etc. Not surprising that your fuel consumption is not the best since you are only doing short trips. Nothing like a road trip to get better fuel consumption figures.

Welcome to the forum Michael, will be happy to hear of your experience with you newish Camry, many brilliant minds on here will always assist in any way with any questions. I am sure the fuel numbers Toyota give is for longer commutes but as many on here are not lead foot drivers or have been stuck to short local trips for the last year the numbers your getting are pretty accurate, I know in our Aurion Presara we get around 11.5 - 12.3 per 100K

Keep safe and Enjoy the forum mate

KAA

Thanks guys for the warm welcome, I don't take any notice of fuel consumption quoted by Toyota.  It doesn't seem like I'm using much more petrol than I did with my old Corolla.  Short trips don't hurt because I've been doing the same with my old car for many years but I never missed a service.  :smile:

6 hours ago, bob007 said:

Oil change at 12mths/15000km

I thought so. That is engine suicide right there.

I always have the oil changed every 6mths and will with this car

Exactly what I was hoping. It would be good to take it out on the highway occasionally to burn off some of that carbon build up. Constant short trips will do that.

Toyota says 7.6L per 100km

That usually is the claim for average highway kms not around town. Stop start traffic and short trips will yield 11-12L per 100 km. Give it a boot full occasionally, it won't hurt to clear the cobwebs.

14 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Exactly what I was hoping. It would be good to take it out on the highway occasionally to burn off some of that carbon build up. Constant short trips will do that.

That usually is the claim for average highway kms not around town. Stop start traffic and short trips will yield 11-12L per 100 km. Give it a boot full occasionally, it won't hurt to clear the cobwebs.

Once I had done 2000km I went on the M4 at 110k per hour for 30mins up and back but I've only done this twice, should do it more.  :biggrin:

• Like 2