Serpentine Belt and Belt Dressing

Tony Prodigy

I'm slowly putting together an inventory of spare parts as most of you would be aware of so I'm not faced with the possibility of an inconvenient breakdown and not having parts on hand. 

I purchased a serpentine belt just the other day and I must say that I'm very happy with the quality of manufacture of the Dayco product. It was a toss up between Gates and Dayco. I decided to go with the latter.

Another interesting thing is the debate about whether to use a belt dressing or not. I think there is an argument as to what not  to use on rubber and that would be anything solvent based, of course. Those of you who know me, advocate the use of 303 Aerospace on anything rubber and as such I will soak my new belt in this stuff to keep it nice and pliable and as this video suggests, make it last longer than the given amount. 

Serpentine belts are made with EPDM so are quite long lasting in their own right, but with the addition of the 303 I think it will complement it nicely to reduce both degradation and potential for belt squeaks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM_rubber

20210203_165734.jpg

20210203_165745.jpg

20210203_170017.jpg

20210203_170031.jpg

• Like 1

As always TY Tony for the Pic's and the knowledge, I will look forward to the information when it is fitted as I am due to have mine done in about 3 months

Keep Safe

KAA 

6 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

There made to do up 150,000kms outta the box. 

Mine is approaching 130k and it's still original and honestly still looks excellent. I'm just a bit OCD as some of you know haha..

I'd be interested to see how long it does actually last but I'd hate for it to snap during a trip somewhere.

Anyway, if the car stops, I'm only a phone call away..

Looks like the 40 Series Aurion 2006-2011 use the 7PK2090 length belt. I would anticipate this is because the power steering pump is driven by the serpentine belt instead of being electric.

11 hours ago, campbeam said:

Looks like the 40 Series Aurion 2006-2011 use the 7PK2090 length belt. I would anticipate this is because the power steering pump is driven by the serpentine belt instead of being electric.

Yep that's correct Ashley. Owners of 40 and 50 series need to check part fitments very carefully even though they share the same 2GR-FE base. There are plenty of subtle differences.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 9:55 PM, campbeam said:

7PK2875 for TRDs, manual says to change this every 90,000 kms

• Like 1

Attached diagram was invaluable when refitting the serpentine belt during replacement of the water pump.

A useful tip was to mark the outside of the existing belt so it would go on the same way. I could not find my crayon markers that I had specifically bought at Bunnings so ended up using some toothpaste. Just have to be thinking at times and use what is readily available and not going to cause any issues.  😀😀

Serpentine Belt Diagram on 2GR-FE Engine.docx

• Thanks 1

Excellent advise Ash to mark the belt, bet it also adds some nice fresh smell to the belt and a shine supreme LOL

Thanks for the Diagram as well mate

KAA

• Haha 1