Security

Linda Stuart

I have a 2013 Kluger and an almost new electronic item was stolen from it just after Christmas. I reported it to the police and when they came around to   fingerprint it the officer muttered that this model is hard to break in to. Is this true. Oddly my car and the car next to it had the windscreen wiper arm extended out when we returned to the vehicle. Is the model easy or hard to break in to?

11 hours ago, Linda Stuart said:

I have a 2013 Kluger and an almost new electronic item was stolen from it just after Christmas. I reported it to the police and when they came around to   fingerprint it the officer muttered that this model is hard to break in to. Is this true. Oddly my car and the car next to it had the windscreen wiper arm extended out when we returned to the vehicle. Is the model easy or hard to break in to?

Hi Linda and firstly welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the theft from your vehicle. Are you sure that all four doors were locked ? Sometimes the central locking doesn't behave like it should and one door can stay open. Was there any signs of a forced entry ?

Typically, thieves will just wander through car parks and try opening car doors at random and sometimes they get lucky. Me personally, I wouldn't leave any valuables in my car, even my house keys when I plan to leave it parked for a prolonged period.

The more sophisticated thieves will duplicate your key fob with a capture device and clone a key fob of their own to then be able to gain entry and be able to drive it away. That's if you have the push start smart entry system of course. But I doubt anyone would go to the effort of doing that just to be able to open and pilfer stuff from the glove box. These were stupid kids who have had some practice with door lock mechanisms and know how to use a bit a wire down the window or they just had some dumb luck.

Dash cams are a pretty good deterrent if you park your vehicle in a sitting duck car park. I don't think car alarms work any more as nobody tends to take notice or be bothered to look. It's usually a quick entry, grab and walk away before nobody is any the wiser.

Don't hold your breath with the Police doing anything either. If it was a smart phone does it have the "find my device" option ?? This is pretty useful.

I wish you well Linda.

All the best :thumbsup:

Thank you. There were no signs of a break in and I feel positive that I locked the car, I just wondered if it you can still do the ‘old’ shove a bit of packaging tape down the window trick on a car with central locking. I used the ‘Find my’ app but it was already not recognisable. Thank you for your reply. 

There have been a few times when I have returned to my vehicle to find that I had left the drivers window totally down.

After locking the vehicle, I also try one of the door handles ro confirm that I have actually locked the vehicle, not unlocked it by mistake.