Front Parking Sensor on Camry SL 2020 dont work well

alexgc

Hi All first Toyota and first post,

Car: Camry SL Hybrid 2020

The front parking sensors don’t cover the immediate front of the car. There are only two sensors on the edge of front sides but sensors in the middle that I can see.

I tested it out and basically gently ran my front end into my Rav’s towbar in front (no damage thankfully) I was expecting a beep.
The sensor didn’t make a sound or display any obstructions. However when the is an obstruction close to the front corners then it beeps.

So I need a little experienced advice from the forum members.

• Is this just my car or is this for all 2018-2020 Camry’s with Parking sensors?
  • Does anyone have the same issue?
  • Can additional sensors be added to the current system? 
  • Should I just take it back to Toyota and get them to suss it out?

Many thanks Alx

Hi Alex, The main purpose of those "parking sensors" are primarily for a parking situation. The proximity of the sensor is such that it is designed to monitor your distance from any object to the left or right sides of the vehicle. Frontal situations are not included unfortunately. 
If you look at where the sensors are located they are basically trained at the corners only and will only detect objects in the specific region.

If it had 4 parking sensors, two corner, two front, then this would of course do what you're asking about. Not sure why Toyota do this either. Perhaps ask them on the next service.

My Aurion has the exact same design too. Two corner angulated sensors.

Hope that explains it for you.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Camry SL Parking Sensor.jpg

Aurion Parking Sensor.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, as you see these sensors are directional and only detect off centre to the vehicle. As Tony commented they are a parking aid but do not do the full frontal coverage you desire. I wonder if one could retro fit additional sensors, to the existing system, facing forward perhaps in the grille or above the existing ones on the flat bumper surface.  I have many travellers & sales reps coming to my business complaining of your same issue.

Have read somewhere in threads on here of some fitting a frontal camera, which would at least allow you to see anything that would impact the centre area of the bumper, so maybe that is worth exploring. I found like any car you do get used to distance and allowing for the bumper, but yes 4 sensors would have been a great help, but like anything what if's come into any design and living with a car always throws up things that could be improved.

KAA

• Like 1