Dingo Lady

First Toyota and cannot believe how bad the Dealership service is.  Prado still under warranty and just hate taking vehicle for service as the Dealership is all froth and bubbles and no substance, from the day I drove my vehicle out of the showroom only to realize it was unroadworthy..  I had an ARB bull bar and extra battery fitted prior to delivery, but no one told me the extra 120 kg on the front of the vehicle would require heavy duty shock absorbers.   When I picked up my vehicle after the last service it would not start, just made a loud squealing noise.  Seems no one primed the fuel pump after changing the fuel filter.   I have also had problems with poor reception on the radio on the AM band on an area between Ararat and Ballarat.  Have been driving that road for more than 40 years and never had a problem before, and the Dealership tells me it is a black spot.  Yet my friends can all get good reception in the area.  Has anyone else had a problem with AM reception in the Prado?   Please help.

First of all welcome to the forum Julie, there is nothing worse than horrible service with a dealership, is there another one close by you could go too, even if it requires a bit more of a drive? if that isn't possible then I feel it is time to write down everything you have had to go through since owning the vehicle, make sure to leave out personal feeling just list all the issues. Then I would INSIST on a meeting with the owner of the dealership, and let the owner know exactly what has been happening too you. The recourse for you if they throw their hands up and say basically too bad is the media to let all know what has been going on, and then finding a reputable mechanic to do your services. My father always taught me to stand up for what you believe to be right, if no-one complains then nothing ever changes so start at the top and if wrong accept and admit it. Yes there are black spot but that is really rare now-days , and having driven that stretch of road several times I can not recall bad radio reception but then I may have been on FM or had other music playing so others may be able to help out on that matter, but could be an antenna issue not grounded well or bad connection to the radio. I am sure others will throw in some of their own knowledge to help in any way they can as a lot of great minds on here Julie

Keep us updated as to how things progress

KAA

Welcome to the Forum.

Certainly an oversight to change the fuel filter and not check to see that the engine starts.

As for the radio reception, agree with KAA Robert to check the antenna connections. Suggest checking that the antenna can be fully extended and is not broken.

Edited by campbeam
correct name

Hi Julie and welcome to the forum. My sympathies go out to you for the shoddy dealer service you've experienced. Although I never use them, I know there are good dealers out there who do appreciate their customers and then there are those Lackeys that you got. Looks like they don't want your business. I'd be putting a rocket up the management and be ready to name and shame them so others are forewarned. 

This is the exact reason why dealerships get a bad name and this notion that if you take your car to the dealer, your car gets serviced correctly and are advised in the same manner can be a false economy. You even have the privilege of over paying for the crappy service too. Well, what do you know ??

I also love the theory of a radio black spot. I nearly fell of my chair laughing ! How would they be able to quantify that ? A good comparison would be to have an identical vehicle with the same radio drive through the same patch of road to verify this and then ask them how much bull dust they'd like to eat lol...

I can't say for sure what could be causing your reception issue, but I'd be checking all the usual connections. Sometimes the factory do get it wrong on the production line, with the time constraints placed on individuals, and connectors are sometimes not plugged in all the way. Try re seating the plugs and see. The radio could also have a dodgy receiver. It's difficult to say at this time.

All the best Julie :thumbsup:

Thanks so much guys.  I will be phoning the Principal Dealer on Monday.  I have kept contemporaneous notes and have already written, but received no reply.  I think it is now time to phone the Boss.  Thanks again.  Julie

14 hours ago, Dingo Lady said:

Thanks so much guys.  I will be phoning the Principal Dealer on Monday.  I have kept contemporaneous notes and have already written, but received no reply.  I think it is now time to phone the Boss.  Thanks again.  Julie

Give them hell Julie. We're with you on this one :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Dingo Lady said:

Documentation, documentation, documentation.

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Stick to your guns and let the facts do their work.  A great motivator for taking action is being disrespected or treated as a fool. Perhaps mention to the Boss how does he like to be treated personally and the actions of his dealership reflects upon himself. Perhaps challenge him to prove that he is the Boss and in charge to get things fixed i.e. radio and/or antenna.

16 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

For sure Julie, we are with you in any way we can be, as Tony and Ashley stated, stick to the points and facts, try not to get overheated with the boss just make sure he knows everything, also say you tried other means first before going to him directly but got nothing in return but BS

Let us know how things progress

But as my dad always said never be afraid to go to the top, they started out low like us mere mortals, but sometimes they forget it

KAA