Cars You Should Not Buy

We learn, forget and have to relearn or remember. Following YouTube video from Scotty is quite interesting. I had forgotten about engine mounts getting damaged in an accident.

Big learning for me was to NEVER buy a flood/water damaged vehicle. I was not expecting issues to develop 3 years after the event.

10 hours ago, campbeam said:

We learn, forget and have to relearn or remember. Following YouTube video from Scotty is quite interesting. I had forgotten about engine mounts getting damaged in an accident.

Big learning for me was to NEVER buy a flood/water damaged vehicle. I was not expecting issues to develop 3 years after the event.

I love how Scotty, or Americans in general say that the Toyota Corolla is actually a Matrix. It's a Matrix because it was renamed specifically for the U.S. Market with a few changes to suit them. It is, and always has been a Toyota Corolla. It began life as a Corolla in 1966 and will continue to be a Corolla till the end of days.

As much as I love Scotty, he is also very well known for his click bait titles. He unashamedly admitted this too in one of his videos.

Ash, you mention water/flood damaged cars. Which car was it ? Some flood damaged cars could be ok if the water doesn't go up to the "boat line", then you can have all sorts of grief. You will practically have to strip most of the car back and go through every individual connector and clean thoroughly. Modern computer driven cars don't play nice if there is crud in the connections.

Remember when we drove our old school analogue cars with those crappy molex plugs ? As bad as they were, letting in oil, moisture, dirt and water, the engines would always start with a helping of WD40 lol. No computers to worry about then.

Modern CANBUS systems require high quality plugs and if you ever pulled one and inspected it's construction, there would be your answer. Although not water proof, definitely better than a molex in that the o ring type seals are designed to keep the pins moisture and dirt free otherwise the computer will have throw a wobbly 🤪

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Which car was it ? Some flood damaged cars could be ok if the water doesn't go up to the "boat line", then you can have all sorts of grief. You will practically have to strip most of the car back and go through every individual connector and clean thoroughly. Modern computer driven cars don't play nice if there is crud in the connections.

For the answer, you will have to view the video again and listen. Scotty just mentioned it once. He said that his customer informed him that he bought the flood damaged car and changed all of the fluids. Got issues 3 years later. Lot of time and effort to check and clean each connector so it would not have been done prior to auction.

I now remember hearing a story [many years ago] of <1 year old 4WD getting flooded then recovered. Interiors were stripped and cleaned before vehicle was sent to auction. Reported concern was more about future rust/corrosion.