2017 RAV4 Head Unit replacement

garthkh

I have recently bought a used mid-year 2017 RAV4 GX 2WD.  I have a few of questions I'd like to bounce off you experts.

1. I see the navigation maps are out of date and in the searches I've made online it seems there is no continued free updates as the car is just out of its 3-year warranty. Is there a way of updating the maps for free?

2. I was hoping my Android phone could connect to the system and mirror my own nav maps (eg Google Maps and WAZE), but I don't think this can be done. The bluetooth works fine with the phone calls. Is there a way I can mirror to the system?

3. To use apps on my phone the manual says to install the Toyota Link app and register it, but on looking at the reviews I see all the reviews are terrible and don't recommend using it - even to errors occurring afterwards .  So I am scared to try and use it.

4. I see too that a number of owners have replaced the head unit in their RAV's with an aftermarket two din or the like that will take Android Auto or Apple Play. When I was searching for a 2015-2018 RAV I noticed that the navigation didn't come in all models and was, therefore, expecting to buy a new head unit that I could use with my Android phone. The installation of a new unit seems pretty simple from all the videos I've watched.  Should I replace this system?

So right now I'm thinking that I should upgrade the head unit with a system that will allow both Android, and possibly Apple, to access it. Even if I must mirror the navigation systems from the phone. At least the software will always be up to date.

I can't see what the version of my Entune system is - I think vers 2.