White smoke

Hi all,

I have a 2012 build Nov 2011 Toyota Aurion atx I have been have some issues with lately we have had it regularly serviced but missed a service by 2000k.  Whenever we do long trips of over 200k and it sits over night the next day when started it puffs out White smoke from exhaust with a strong oil smell.  I have checked the dip stick and oil levels fine.  Coolant level fine and don't seem to be having any water coming from the exhaust.  I am concerned as to what it is as I have taken it to Toyota and to another mechanic and both have said it's probably just some excess sludge being pushed out.  Oil filters and fuels filter changed and.pc valves checked.  There are times when we go to accelerate on high way and it puffs White smoke briefly and then is fine again.  This seldom happens but does happen.  Any ideas please assistance and advice would be much appreciated.  I am not a huge car person just seeking advice and ideas on what it could be as it's our main family car. 

If it's a head gasket does anyone know what the average cost on an Aurion is to get it replaced.

Edited by 2012toyora_aurion

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum mate.

Let me start by saying, Oh boy, I think your car has either had a long history of late oil changes or you have been following the stupid book service which calls for oil changes every 15K !!! 

If you say you have also gone over this by an extra 2K, you are certainly asking for trouble. The 2GR-FE has many tight tolerances and other systems within the engine which rely on good clean oil. Sludge will make it go down hill pretty quick. This subject has been covered here extensively and we usually do our oil service between 8 and 10K tops.

Some who have had to go through the desludging process have had to endure 2k-5k oil service intervals, with diesel added for extra desludging. 

I would bet you have a sludgy engine and there is an excess amount coming back through your PCV. I would do an oil change asap, with engine flush, then do subsequent oil changes every 5K until it is desludged.

Thank you luckily wife works right near Toyota booking in tomorrow get in as soon as we can and thanks for.yohr advise.  We were going by the manual majority of its life fairly firmly so we will be making sure its every 4-5000 K like you have said.  I love the car as a car to drive and really don't want to sell as it's such a nice to drive.  

4 minutes ago, 2012toyora_aurion said:

Thank you luckily wife works right near Toyota booking in tomorrow get in as soon as we can and thanks for.yohr advise.  We were going by the manual majority of its life fairly firmly so we will be making sure its every 4-5000 K like you have said.  I love the car as a car to drive and really don't want to sell as it's such a nice to drive.  

No problem. If you get Toyota to do it, be careful what oil they use. Insist on Fully Synthetic oil 5W-30. I have been using Nulon and my engine still looks brand new inside even after nearly 130K on the ODO.

Penrite also make an excellent 5W-30 too.

Have a read of this.

Underlying cause for the white smoke is an accumulation of oil sludge in the baffles of the valve cover. The engine oil can no longer drain as quickly past these baffles. What then happens is that oil vapour is sucked via the PCV valve and then condenses in the intake. When you start up the next morning, the engine blows white smoke.

In your case, the immediate solution is to change to a shorter oil change interval of 4-5K kms and to definitely use Full Synthetic 5W-30 engine oil to assist to desludge the engine.

Have a read in your manual abour severe driving conditions and changed service intervals.

Something else that you should consider is having the automatic transmission fluid changed soon. You should notice an improvement in the gear shifts.