Central Locking Issue

My 2008 Aurion touring has developed a strange problem with the central locking. I had noticed over a period of weeks that on most occasions the doors would not unlock when the unlock button was pressed on the remote. The battery in the remote tested OK but I replaced it with a new one anyway. That didn't fix the problem so I dug out the spare remote and installed a new battery but the problem persisted. I should mention that there is no problem locking the doors or opening the boot with both remotes. 

Today I accidentally discovered that both remotes will unlock the doors most of the time when I am 10-15m away from the car. When I am right next to the car, the doors fail to unlock 99% of the time. It seems the opposite of what would be expected. 

All feedback and suggestions greatly appreciated. 

Hi Garry, When you say that you're right next to the car and it fails to open, is this everywhere or just a specific location ?

I have had a similar issue on a previous D-Max and my present Colorado work vehicles whereby when I am parked along the one way street parallel to the train station, my cars would fail to lock via remote and no matter what angle I tried, nothing. I had to insert the key and manually lock the doors. 

I would think that all modern cars use the same or similar type of keyless entry, albeit with different frequencies of course and I believe there can be some kind of interference which is blocking the signal. I don't think you have a problem with the system itself to be honest. If it opens from 15m away and you have new batteries, then it would be safe to assume that it's fine. 

Another thing you can try is check and clean the receiver. If I remember correctly, it is positioned behind the rear bumper. You can also check the connections. If these check out, then I'd just put it down to interference of some kind. Hard to say what it is but we are being bombarded with EMF radiation which is probably what's causing it.

There are plenty of EMF related videos on youtube.

Thanks so much for your reply Tony. 

That's interesting, you say that the receiver may be behind the rear bumper. When I stand 10-15m behind the car, the doors unlock with the remote. 

I just assumed that the receiver was in the dashboard or engine bay, so I normally point the remote in that direction when I stand next to the driver's door. 

I'll have a look at cleaning the receiver and do some research on EMF. 

Thanks again. 

Your welcome. I have a copy of the Factory Aurion Workshop manual on CD at home (I'm at work at the moment). When I get home I'll take another look and confirm receiver location. I am pretty sure from memory that it's in the same spot as the 50 series. I can't see why they relocate it either. I think they put it on the outer side of the rear beaver panel behind the bumper so it doesn't get any interference from the multitude of electronic gadgetry in the engine bay and interior.

You really don't need to point and shoot so to speak. If you are within the given radius, it will work, even if it's it your pocket while pressing the button.

I'll post up more accurate info later.

Cheers :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Very interesting 🤔

As a matter of fact I had a Viofo A119 V3 fitted about 12 months ago. It has a hardwired kit installed for parking mode so is always on standby. 

13 minutes ago, Jacaranda said:

Very interesting 🤔

As a matter of fact I had a Viofo A119 V3 fitted about 12 months ago. It has a hardwired kit installed for parking mode so is always on standby. 

I had a Viofo dashcam fitted as well, it was the A129 model with front/rear camera. I replaced with a Blackvue DR750X-2CH and now no issues at all. My FM reception issues also sorted themselves out. Maybe it was just a faulty cable, don't know. 

You could try unplugging the camera so theres no power to it, see if you still have problems then 🙂

5 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

Its a long shot but do you have a dashcam fitted? Mine used to cause all sorts of issues with keyless entry similar to this. 

That's very interesting too. But I can say that I have had issues with a press button keyfob in my 2017 D-Max and had no dash cam in that. Some kind of dead zone wasn't enabling the signal for some reason. It wasn't all the time, only at specific locations and one of those was Station St Blacktown.

6 minutes ago, nzzr6 said:

. I replaced with a Blackvue DR750X-2CH and now no issues at all. My FM reception issues also sorted themselves out.

I'm considering going down the Blackvue route too. The 900 looks promising. Does the DR750 have 4K ? (HEVC compression)

7 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That's very interesting too. But I can say that I have had issues with a press button keyfob in my 2017 D-Max and had no dash cam in that. Some kind of dead zone wasn't enabling the signal for some reason. It wasn't all the time, only at specific locations and one of those was Station St Blacktown.

I'm considering going down the Blackvue route too. The 900 looks promising. Does the DR750 have 4K ? (HEVC compression)

Yeah I'm not sure what it was. I got a replacement rear camera cable, replacement front camera module and the issues persisted. 

Nah, the DR750 is 1080p only, but it is 60fps unlike the DR900. For being able to make out detail in fast moving footage (i.e. a number plate of a car passing you in the opposite direction) the 750 holds the upper edge. the DR900 is 4K 30fps I believe, so it trumps the 750 in terms of overall video quality but isn't 60fps so it sort of loses an edge when it comes to trying to make out detail in fast moving footage. I do believe the 750 is slightly better in terms of night time quality as well. One thing to note though is if you want built in voltage monitoring you need to get the X series, otherwise you'll have to get a Power magic pro or similar to do that part for you :). Theres also LTE versions of those cams (I believe Australia is on the list of supported countries) if you want, so you can use the cloud features wherever you are, even if you aren't with your car. 

Could go on and on, they are expensive, but I do think its a very good package for what you get.  

4 minutes ago, nzzr6 said:

the DR750 is 1080p only, but it is 60fps unlike the DR900. For being able to make out detail in fast moving footage (i.e. a number plate of a car passing you in the opposite direction) the 750 holds the upper edge. the DR900 is 4K 30fps I believe, so it trumps the 750 in terms of overall video quality but isn't 60fps so it sort of loses an edge when it comes to trying to make out detail in fast moving footage.

That's interesting. I'm not up to speed on the specs as yet but I do like quality products. I have had a cheapo dash cam and it was rubbish and have since stopped using it. If I am to get a Blackvue I will go the whole hog and install both front and rear and have the power back up so it can record when parked.

7 minutes ago, nzzr6 said:

One thing to note though is if you want built in voltage monitoring you need to get the X series, otherwise you'll have to get a Power magic pro or similar to do that part for you

This is what I don't understand too much about. Have to do a bit more research. Thanks for the heads up. I like the faster fps as it's the finer detail one really relies on when you really need it. Big objects are a given and almost all cameras will show these well but the finer detail including night vision are two very different beasts. I'll read up some more when I get a chance.

14 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That's interesting. I'm not up to speed on the specs as yet but I do like quality products. I have had a cheapo dash cam and it was rubbish and have since stopped using it. If I am to get a Blackvue I will go the whole hog and install both front and rear and have the power back up so it can record when parked.

This is what I don't understand too much about. Have to do a bit more research. Thanks for the heads up. I like the faster fps as it's the finer detail one really relies on when you really need it. Big objects are a given and almost all cameras will show these well but the finer detail including night vision are two very different beasts. I'll read up some more when I get a chance.

No worries, feel free to PM if you want, Done a few of these now 👍

• Thanks 1