Rattling seat backs

Greetings

I have a 2016 Corolla, few months ago I started to hear rattling noise from the 2 front seats (seems like their backs is not fixed well enough) especially when I drive in unpaved road it drives me nuts!

Has anyone experienced similar problem?

Response is highly appreciated

Thanks

23 minutes ago, Ahmed Bilasy said:

Greetings

I have a 2016 Corolla, few months ago I started to hear rattling noise from the 2 front seats (seems like their backs is not fixed well enough) especially when I drive in unpaved road it drives me nuts!

Has anyone experienced similar problem?

Response is highly appreciated

Thanks

Hi Ahmed and welcome to the forum. 

I'd remove the seats and carefully inspect for whatever might be loose and go from there. Disconnect your car battery first so you don't trigger the Airbag light. Otherwise you'll have to get that code cleared.

Thanks for your reply Tony,

I forgot to mention that upon returning to the dealer during service, they said it is just normal wear and tear and the only solution is to change the seats!!!😳

but I don’t think removing the seats could help, the seat back only needs to be well fixed, any advice how to do that?

thanks again 

6 minutes ago, Ahmed Bilasy said:

I forgot to mention that upon returning to the dealer during service, they said it is just normal wear and tear and the only solution is to change the seats!!!

I don't think I agree with that statement. The car is only 4 years old and I've never heard that one before. I wonder if any other Corolla owners here have had a similar issue with their seats.. 

8 minutes ago, Ahmed Bilasy said:

but I don’t think removing the seats could help, the seat back only needs to be well fixed, any advice how to do that?

Maybe remove just one seat and investigate it a little more. At least when you have it out, you will have more room to get a closer look. There could be something that could be done, unfortunately it's very difficult to diagnose the issue online without seeing or hearing the problem. I know the seat back can have some play in the hinges, but excessive play is ridiculous for a fairly new car. I would also rate the build quality as pretty good being a Corolla. Something doesn't seem right.

53 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I don't think I agree with that statement. The car is only 4 years old and I've never heard that one before. I wonder if any other Corolla owners here have had a similar issue with their seats.. 

Maybe remove just one seat and investigate it a little more. At least when you have it out, you will have more room to get a closer look. There could be something that could be done, unfortunately it's very difficult to diagnose the issue online without seeing or hearing the problem. I know the seat back can have some play in the hinges, but excessive play is ridiculous for a fairly new car. I would also rate the build quality as pretty good being a Corolla. Something doesn't seem right.

Exactly, that’s why it drives me crazy and don’t know exactly what to do, but anyway thanks for your help Tony

32 minutes ago, Ahmed Bilasy said:

Exactly, that’s why it drives me crazy and don’t know exactly what to do, but anyway thanks for your help Tony

I suspect you're not handy with tools ? If you're not able to or have the means to do it, just ask a friend perhaps or take it to someone else. I think Toyota would be a bad choice because their labour rate is expensive and they can spend 2 hrs on it and not fix the problem and still charge you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I suspect you're not handy with tools ? If you're not able to or have the means to do it, just ask a friend perhaps or take it to someone else. I think Toyota would be a bad choice because their labour rate is expensive and they can spend 2 hrs on it and not fix the problem and still charge you.

No I am not 😀, sure Toyota is a bad choice for that. Thanks

15 minutes ago, Ahmed Bilasy said:

No I am not 😀, sure Toyota is a bad choice for that. Thanks

Happy to help Ahmed. If you lived near me I'd try and help but unfortunately you're all the way over in S.A. 

If you have a socket set or some spanners, it is a pretty simple job. Disconnect the ground cable on the battery, wrap the lead with a cloth and then all you do is undo 4 bolts under the seat. There are two on each track. I think it's 14mm. Once they are out, lean the seat back to locate the seat sensor plug, disconnect this the fold the seat forward and lift it out. The seat pivot may just need some dry lube or something or if it's the plastic shell that fixes to the back, then a spray with CRC Dry Glide. It contain PTFE and will not run or leave a greasy residue. It will lubricate any plastic on plastic nuisance noises.

Here's a good opportunity to get handy with your car, learn something new and save money. DIY isn't so bad once you get used to it. Most of us here are DIY types of guys, and yet most of us live very far apart so we aren't able to help with hands on, only yap about it here 😁

20210407_122724.jpg