My New Oil Funnel

Tony Prodigy

Hey guys, This little device caught my eye some time back and had been trying to justify getting it and I finally decided, why not. What I like about it is the fact that it screws into the oil filler neck of your engine, which holds it in place and has a rubber seal to stop leakage. I've lost count how many times I've tried to fill my car with oil and bump the funnel and it tips to the side and sometimes getting messy. Enough of that.

It was reasonably priced and nicely made too. Quality is excellent and it came well packaged in very decent box. Got it on Amazon prime. Been finding some great deal on Amazon prime lately. I tend to swing between Ebay and Amazon to compare on pricing and shipping and it seems that Amazon is almost always outdoing Ebay. Happy Days !

I don't mind paying for proper tools that will help make my job of servicing more cleanly, efficiently and easier. More to come :biggrin::thumbsup:

20210407_170135.jpg

20210407_170240.jpg

20210407_170324.jpg

20210407_170700.jpg

20210407_170512.jpg

20210407_170525.jpg

20210407_170537.jpg

20210407_170616.jpg

20210407_170647.jpg

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Squalled said:

This is something I've needed for a while that's for sure.

Definitely going to invest in one of these before my next service!

Just make sure it suits your engine. Not sure if the Corolla engine has a common thread/hole size. The listing should mention what vehicle it specifically suits.

Nice to know that this type of product exists.

Being a contrarian, I am now inspired to be thinking of a low cost workaround.

So far, I have been making do with this one and have had the occasional oil spill on the Aurion when the funnel moves.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-funnel-big-mouth/291160.html

5 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Just make sure it suits your engine. Not sure if the Corolla engine has a common thread/hole size. The listing should mention what vehicle it specifically suits.

With a few exceptions there are basically only two different Toyota oil filler caps - screw or bayonet

10 hours ago, campbeam said:

Nice to know that this type of product exists.

Being a contrarian, I am now inspired to be thinking of a low cost workaround.

So far, I have been making do with this one and have had the occasional oil spill on the Aurion when the funnel moves.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-funnel-big-mouth/291160.html

Yes Ashley, I wouldn't disagree with you. I have always improvised in the past and as I get older, I guess, I've developed a love for nicer things and appreciate how good quality parts/tools are made. Being OCD (shock Horror :jawdrop:) and having good equipment makes the experience more pleasurable without the occasional hiccups and frustrations that can go with servicing a car. I like to work as tidy and organised as possible and limit frustration, so having the right gear certainly gives you that edge. One thing that I always dreamed of having was a car hoist. Wouldn't that be something ! Maybe some day If I ever get to build my dream garage/mancave.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hiro said:

With a few exceptions there are basically only two different Toyota oil filler caps - screw or bayonet

So are the threaded versions all the same hole size/thread size ? This is what I'm unsure about. 

Camry 4cyl Vs Aurion V6 Vs Avalon V6 Vs Corolla etc..

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Yes Ashley, I wouldn't disagree with you. I have always improvised in the past and as I get older, I guess, I've developed a love for nicer things and appreciate how good quality parts/tools are made. Being OCD (shock Horror :jawdrop:) and having good equipment makes the experience more pleasurable without the occasional hiccups and frustrations that can go with servicing a car. I like to work as tidy and organised as possible and limit frustration, so having the right gear certainly gives you that edge. One thing that I always dreamed of having was a car hoist. Wouldn't that be something ! Maybe some day If I ever get to build my dream garage/mancave.

I can see that it is a quality product. I like to improvise and save $$$. If my idea works, I will post a photo.

I have also got a car hoist in my dreams and certainly looked at a few on eBay. A dream garage /mancave is in the retirement plans.

13 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

So are the threaded versions all the same hole size/thread size ? This is what I'm unsure about. 

Camry 4cyl Vs Aurion V6 Vs Avalon V6 Vs Corolla etc..

My experience is yes, all screw-type Toyota oil filler caps are the same size (there may be one or two exceptions out there, but for instance TRD only ever listed 2 different oil filler caps - one screw, one bayonet, and then a third unique one for the 86 since it's a Subie engine)

As always Tony gets the click to buy finger very twitchy LOL looks awesome Tony and something added to my wish list for sure.

Thanks for the great images Tony they are appreciated

KAA

• Thanks 1

I revisited my previous improvisation of using a Nulon brake fluid bottle.

Thread is different but you are able to thread it into the oil filler hole. I was thinking that I would have to cut a notch or 2 in the threaded section for an easier fit but it was not necessary.  

oil funnel.jpg

• Like 1

NIce improv Ash. :thumbup1:

Do the threads match by any chance ? Looks like a good fit.

Also noticed your engine cover  is different to the 50 series in that mine doesn't have the extra badging "DUAL VVT-i" 
My OCD also tells me that the cover has been treated a little hastily evidenced by the grazing on the corners. I know you wouldn't have done this because you love your car, but I'll put money that it was some lackey at a garage or some rough back yarder. Why anyone would work this way baffles me. How hard is it to pop it off and place it ? Does it need to be grazed like that ? This is why I shudder the thought of taking my cars to any mechanic shop. [Rant over:laugh:]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Do the threads match by any chance ? Looks like a good fit.

Thread is slightly different. After screwing it in a few times, it becomes easier as the profile of the thread becomes a bit lower.

Definitely a good tight fit.

It gets a pass mark as an improvisation. Only cost is a bit of effort to cut out the bottom of the bottle. However, it could be expensive if you slip and cut yourself. 

Yes, the grazing on the corners of the cover is evident. Maybe next time that I am at wreckers, I will ask about swapping the engine cover. 

I love it when Tony has a rant 🤣🤣 but in this case I agree, it isn't that tough to remove the cover to do any work and safely replace it, I fortunately have a great mechanic who knows how much we love and treat our car and does the same when in his capable hands.

Yes a great improvisation of the nulon bottle, a handy trick I will remember for next oil drop which is due in about 1 months time.

Keep Well

KAA

On 4/8/2021 at 6:50 PM, Hiro said:

Here's the bayonet version. Just saw it and thought of what you said.

https://www.amazon.com.au/ARES-56023-Compatible-Spill-Free-Applications/dp/B07VZR729G/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d_7?pd_rd_w=muqXG&pf_rd_p=c47e427c-8630-47af-be61-6abe8fda1474&pf_rd_r=V6GMZ7H2ZRX944FRADR3&pd_rd_r=f92f7158-7e2d-4ae7-bf80-d22b285e1c9a&pd_rd_wg=6xK4g&pd_rd_i=B07VZR729G&psc=1

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yet another tool I've been dying to get but because of corona & laziness . . . . . how much coin Tony & where from ? I've bookmarked eBay. Another is from AST which I have for my old MCV20R Camry but it has the bayonet cap - absolute magic 😍

6 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Yet another tool I've been dying to get but because of corona & laziness . . . . . how much coin Tony & where from ? I've bookmarked eBay. Another is from AST which I have for my old MCV20R Camry but it has the bayonet cap - absolute magic 😍

I'll p.m you. There is also a bayonet version too, no problem.