Front Passenger Power Window Not Working

campbeam

Problem that I encountered yesterday is that the front passenger window was down and would not go up. Neither button on the passenger door or the master switch panel worked to raise the window. Ended up parking and locking the car with the window still down. Later, when I unlocked the car and opened the driver's door, I noticed that the passenger window fully raise by itself. Later attempts to use either button would not lower the window. 

I have just done a Google search and found a few YouTube videos similar to this one. 

I performed the suggested sequences of holding the buttons in the Up position and Down position firstly on the Master Switch then on the Door Switch but no change. Repeated the sequence and also changed the sequences around. I was getting mixed results with the window going either down or not up with one switch. The other switch might work to raise or lower window or nothing. I kept persevering.

Finally, I ended up using the Master Switch only and turning the ignition On and Off. From memory, the window would partially lower then stop. Turn ignition Off then On. Window would then lower some more. Repeated until the window was fully lowered. Turn ignition On and Up button raised the window. Turn ignition Off then On. Master Switch button then able to lower and raise window. Locked car.

I came back later, unlocked vehicle and checked that the Door Switch also lowers and raises the window. 

Hope this is of some assistance if you encounter a similar issue when a specific window is not working. 

WOW that is damn freaky Ash, you would think an intermittent fault would be either up or down, have never had an issue with window switches in our Presara besides the mandatory recall for the master switch grease thing. Hope it now stays resolved and TY for the video it is handy just in case.

Keep us up to date if it reoccurs.

Keep Safe Mate

KAA

11 hours ago, campbeam said:

Ended up parking and locking the car with the window still down. Later, when I unlocked the car and opened the driver's door, I noticed that the passenger window fully raise by itself.

Strange situation for sure Ash. Did you work on the car before this happened, something electrically related ?
I think, with these cars and other modern cars is that if you leave any or all the windows down, lock the car, the onboard system sees this and after an elapsed time it will perform the routine security feature and close all the windows for you. There's a position sensor on each window and this is what enables the computer to perform its checks and programme accordingly. On a hot day recently, when at work, I thought to open all the windows on my Colorado so it doesn't turn into a pressure cooker and walked away. (Car is safe at work)
I then came back a short time later to get something from the back and noticed all the windows had shut. Damn, I thought !! These modern cars are too bloody smart. Can't even keep a single window cracked open to let the hot air out. 

At least you know you don't have a faulty window motor or snags in the regulator. Modern power window motors are quite robust compared to the older generation of cars from the 70s and 80s.. Nowadays it's more likely to be system related. Funny how things change..

It looks like you had a slight glitch in the system and what you did was able to cure it. You have to love YouTube in times like this, but as demonstrated one man's solution won't always be another man's cure. Glad to see you got it sorted regardless. I haven't come across anything like that before that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Did you work on the car before this happened, something electrically related ?
I think, with these cars and other modern cars is that if you leave any or all the windows down, lock the car, the onboard system sees this and after an elapsed time it will perform the routine security feature and close all the windows for you.

We have had troubles with this passenger window before of not going up. Usually resolved using the master switch and sometimes after turning the ignition Off then On.

Door switch is a bit loose so I prefer to use the master switch rather than the girlfriend using the door switch.

As further background, when driving I usually have the driver window fully closed, front passenger window halfway down and rear windows slightly open. When parking, front passenger window and rear windows are left down about 1-2 cms.

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

It looks like you had a slight glitch in the system and what you did was able to cure it. You have to love YouTube in times like this, but as demonstrated one man's solution won't always be another man's cure. Glad to see you got it sorted regardless. I haven't come across anything like that before that's for sure.

There had to have been a glitch in the system. We did not notice it at the time but the window must have gone down when I started the car. Girlfriend was on her phone and later mentioned when we were driving that the window was open and she had not used the door switch. That was the start of the window not going up using either button while driving or when parked. This time YouTube did start me in the right direction with a technique to reset the buttons. Otherwise, I would have been unnecessarily dismantling doors and replacing switches.

The silver lining is that I can now use this technique on a Mazda which has the same issue of one window not working. I had replaced the master door switch after looking at a few YouTube videos. Ended up not being the solution. I had been thinking that it was a possible broken wiring and was going to leave it as is.  

It may be a good idea to just pull the door card off the passenger side and inspect all the wiring section including the connectors. If the door switch doesn't feel right, then maybe this is what's causing the system to play up. Is it possible the grease had hardened off and the contacts are playing silly buggers ?

If possible, dismantle the switch and give it a refresh with new dielectric grease on the contacts. That will ensure no moisture or corrosion can set in.

Sometimes working the switch over and over several times can clean the contacts to a degree, but unless you use some kind of contact cleaner or pull it apart to clean and lubricate, you can be be certain it will stay reliable enough.

These cars are starting to show their age now and despite an almost impeccable reliability history, some gremlins will start creeping in from time to time and even for myself having a 2012 car, am waiting for that day too.