Electric Car Subsidies Incentives to hasten adoption or let the market decide

ABC News had a segment this morning about this topic. Do you think that a wait and see approach is best for the Australian market?

Personally, I am very much opposed to the idea of a Govt. purchase rebate. This may be an acceptable policy in those countries which have an Auto Manufacturing Industry to support the transition to electric vehicle manufacturing for the future survival against Chinese Electric Vehicle Manufacturers.

I do support the idea of Govt. fleets becoming electric thus becoming a potential source of cheap used electric passenger vehicles in future years. 

I do like the availability of plug-in hybrid vehicles as a means of bridging the gap until the charging network infrastructure has beome more extensive and electric cars cheaper.

I am also anticipating the arrival in Australia of affordable quality electric vehicles sourced from China within the next 5 years.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/866630/electric-car-subsidies-how-australia-compares-to-the-rest-of-the-world/

I shudder the thought any time the Govt start meddling in our affairs. It never ends. 

The take up of electric vehicles is inevitable as it is being rammed down our throats as will the other alternative of Hydrogen power. I don't disagree with either, but I am tired of Govt interference in our lives. I say let the market decide.

Remember when we had a car manufacturing industry ? Do you also remember the Govt imposed a luxury vehicle tax on imported luxury cars in order to protect our local market ?  Even though we don't have a car manufacturing market to protect anymore, they are still imposing the tax at 33%. This is ludicrous and you can forgive us for being cycnical of the Govt.

I rather liked this recent article which I thought was quite a balanced perspective.

If the end game is reducing emissions then access to higher quality [low sulphur] fuel should be made available in Australia much sooner. 

https://www.caradvice.com.au/943756/hybrid-cars-get-green-light-to-earn-super-credits-to-offset-emissions-of-utes-and-4wds-in-australia/