Low Fuel Warning Light Flashing

Tasha

Hi everyone,

I have a 2014 Landcruiser 200 that was recently serviced by Toyota. Today the low fuel light (not the warning light with the dots underneath, the normal light that comes on when the tank is nearly empty) came on and started blinking. There is 1/4 tank of fuel left according to the gauge, which is about right as I know how far I've driven since I filled up.

I'm in Broken Hill at the moment, and Toyota here have said that they can't even look at the car until Tuesday...but I''m trying to get my young children and I to Adelaide by Monday. Toyota here in Broken Hill (and a few other places I have called) have all said they can't give me any idea what this warning means or whether it is safe to drive the car. I've phoned every mechanic in town and nobody can look at it until next week.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? The manual says it indicates a malfunction in the fuel system...but doesn't elaborate.

I would appreciate any information you might have about this issue.

Thank you.
Tasha

IMG_1233.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Hi Tasha,

did you find out what the problem was?

I have exactly the same problem but NO-ONE seems to have any idea what the problem is!!!

I‘be been to 5 different Toyota dealerships any get a different answer from each… sometimes only to find out later that the answer they have given me refers to a Prado.

most frustrating 

paulH

if it saying fuel tank system....would it be suggesting the fuel pump ??? also possibly the fuel sender float could be stuck...dont quote me on it 

Edited by Jamie Edwards

9 hours ago, Jamie Edwards said:

if it saying fuel tank system....would it be suggesting the fuel pump ??? also possibly the fuel sender float could be stuck...dont quote me on it 

I highly doubt it's the fuel pump. if the car starts and runs then the fuel pump is fine. 

The issue here is a false indication, which has me believing that the fuel sender is not detecting the correct level of fuel. I suspect the resistances have drifted hence the bad reading.

I am surprised that Toyota so called "technicians" have no idea. They have access to the best learning material and it seems none can be bothered to dig a little deeper on the issue. We need the Car Care Nut to figure this out I think..

As for Tasha, I don't think we'll be hearing from her any time soon. I suspect she's another one hit wonder... 

• 1 month later...

I have a very similar problem now. Flashing fuel indicator light and just under a quarter tank of fuel. Just been to the Toyota dealership in Rockhampton. Too busy to have a proper look at it saying they “may have to drop the tanks” (dual tank diesel LC200 2014). Left the dealership and added approx 100lit of fuel to the tank. Light no longer flashing or on. Will keep an eye on it and let the forum know how this eventually plays out.

Cheers

Andy

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Joining the chat as I too have recently had this problem occur.

2008 GXL model, 245,500 km.  One tank with one filler pipe.  Sticker on inside of fuel flap:  Diesel Capacity 138L incl. Sub Tank.

In July filled up and drove 704km before refuelling with 100 litres of diesel.  Vehicle sat for 5 days as it often does and then we made the return trip.   Made it approximately 500km before flashing fuel light illuminated.  Normally it's a constant light  and as I still had about a quarter tank left (as per gauge) I kept driving.  

I made it another 150km before I "ran out of fuel".  Now for 650km, I should have only used about 95 litres.  Another car travelling with us made a quick run to the service station and filled a 20 L jerry can and we were mobile again.  I filled up at the service station adding another 93 litres.

Talking to people I have been told there is a main tank and an auxiliary (sub) tank and both have a fuel pump.  My unconfirmed theory is the sub tank fuel pump is either not pumping the fuel continuously or not efficiently.  Either way I believe I have to remove the tank and test/replace the fuel pump.

Joining the Chat as well I to have this problem for over 12 Months now!!

2017 GXL Landcruiser 120,000. 1 x 146 Litre Tank. 

Toyota have said they need to drop the tanks and investigate???????? $500 approx before parts

Cant tell me what the problem is which is concerning.......

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have the issue as well. Also dropped into Broken Hill Toyota. They confirmed with my VIN that my vehicle has only a single tank and hence no transfer pump. Behaviour is same as others experience. Of note I find sometimes there is a lot of gurgling when filling and fuel comes out of the small side pipe just inside the filler. Tank then appears full but if you drive around a bit it will then take another 30L or so. I have found a reference to the system which indicates there is a lift pump and a high pressure pump. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.service-engine.com.ua/webroot/pdf/TOYOTA%20LAND%20CRUISER%20(200%20SERIES).pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjyzrmD38uBAxUka2wGHcnICtUQFnoECEgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw10YFUjvRnVSsQE0pvI8PFC.

But I don't think the problem is related to the above as all operates normally. 

Could it be related to some problem with any EVAP or breather system ?

Doug Hayward. 2012 model.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2015 Sahara that had the exact same problem as described and it ended up being a very blocked breather external of the fuel tanks( as they have two tanks a legacy of the old 100 series which didn’t have this problem as it had two filler ports in the fuel cap area.) I have a a good ex Toyota mechanic that dismantled the blocked breather and finally got it unblocked which was caused by this vehicle being driven over very muddy roads and never being cleaned under body up above inside the tailshaft tunnel

I can send you a photo of the unit you need to get taken out and cleaned out plus the lines.

If you want more info you can call me on 0408 767 680

Neil from Tocumwal NSW ( on the Murray River)