1999 LN166 gear oil questions

Big_Mike

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I'm Mike from Southampton, Ontario, Canada. I have a 1999 LN166 Hilux with the 3L 2.8D Non-turbo diesel engine. I want to change the oil in the front and rear differentials, the tranny and the transfer case. Would 80W-90 work for the diffs? The tranny?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, for some reason Haynes Australia won't send the manual for my model. I would have to purchase the pdf. I'm kinda old school and like having the actual book. Is there a market place in this forum?

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by Big_Mike
added more info.

6 hours ago, Big_Mike said:

I'm new to this forum. I'm Mike from Southampton, Ontario, Canada.

G'day Big Mike and welcome to the forum. You're the second Big Mike we have here. Nice to have you on board. I wouldn't have clue personally about what weight of oil is required for your specific vehicle, but if you take a look in your user manual, there should be some info in there about what you need. I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations and like myself, I read many different forums to see what others are using. You'd be amazed at the variations in information you get out there. I have a manual BMW E36 M3 and would you believe it, being a manual box, it doesn't use gear oil, but rather ATF oil. This one in fact was the one recommended for my Getrag gearbox.

Ashley has mentioned the Penrite oils, but I don't know if they are available there to be honest. Maybe you can let us know.

If you don't then I'd take a look at the Castrol range. I use their gear oil for the diff in my M3 and it's supreme stuff.

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

This Lube Guide for Penrite will give you the recommended oils for your vehicle.

Do they sell Penrite oils in Canada Ash ?

Edited by Tony Prodigy

6 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Do they sell Penrite oils in Canada Ash ?

No idea so I went searching and found this retail locator https://penriteoil.com.au/locator?start=Retail

Seeing that you mentioned Castrol, here are the links to the Australian Castrol Lube Guides.

https://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/

https://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/home/oil-selector.html?customerType=retail

Thank you everyone. I will do my homework. They don't sell Penrith oils here. I didn't get an owners manual with the truck, so I am looking for one of those as well.

I checked the Penrite website and my year and model is not listed. So I will check several different models that are close to mine and then cross reference with similar products available in Canada.

Thanks guys. Thanks for the resources. I think I'm going to use 80w90 GL-5 for the diffs and transfer case and 75w90 GL-4 for the tranny.

I can't believe the price difference! I can buy 5L of 80w90 for a couple of dollars more the 946ml of 75w90. But its cheaper than replacing the transmission.

23 minutes ago, Big_Mike said:

I can't believe the price difference! I can buy 5L of 80w90 for a couple of dollars more the 946ml of 75w90. But its cheaper than replacing the transmission.

That is ridiculous actually. I'd get the 5lt and do more frequent changes or just share with friends who have similar vehicular requirements 

10 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That is ridiculous actually. I'd get the 5lt and do more frequent changes or just share with friends who have similar vehicular requirements 

I guess the special additive is Unicorn Tears. 

• Haha 1