Latest Electric Car News and Developments

It pays to be informed and to be able to critically analyse and assess emerging technological advances. I just came across this very recently released YouTube video. I also had a good laugh about the ending comments about asking 15 year olds what they want. Some needs are timeless.  😁 

Interesting stuff Ash. It's almost like what we saw in Back to The Future II lol. Well, it's getting that way. Hopefully they can invent a time machine too so I can go back in time and steal the Greys Sports Almanac. :laugh:

On a more serious note, I find it pretty fascinating how fast the tech is evolving. Ten years ago we were all kinda laughing about it and now it's getting serious. There will upsides and downsides of course, but I guess the smart engineers and marketing boffins will hopefully make this transition as painless as possible.

I have a couple of concerns too. I, like Sandy there, don't agree with the battery swap thing either. Fiddling constantly with electrical/electronics will have a detrimental long term effect. Good idea in theory though. If they can make a bullet proof connector then this could be a feasible solution for certain people and their needs.

Another thing I disagree with is the "no paint, no chrome" idea and having the plastic impregnated with the colour. How boring is that ??? Come on.
Keeping a car clean, shiny, minty is all part of the pleasure of ownership and if they are going to turn cars into ice cream containers, then I'd say, no thanks.

I had a little chuckle about the 15 year old's idea of what a car should be too. It has to be fast, with two doors and no back seat to impress their girlfriend. What ? no back seat ??? :biggrin:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

how fast the tech is evolving. Ten years ago we were all kinda laughing about it and now it's getting serious.

Dreaming is turning into reality. Development is becoming production. Latest issue is to now sort out the required supply chain. Electric cars are now being seen to be taken seriously by the established ICE vehicle manufacturers. Their survival depends upon it; adapt for survival or perish.

Interesting point about the connector and swapping the battery. Perhaps battery swapping is an interim step strategy for that Chinese brand appropriate for their market.

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

the "no paint, no chrome" idea and having the plastic impregnated with the colour.

Good manufacturing solution to drive down production costs. I am sure that there will be plenty of after market suppliers to step in and customise vehicles.

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I had a little chuckle about the 15 year old's idea of what a car should be too. It has to be fast

Have to agree with some of their thinking because I do not want a slow vehicle especially on the highway.

• Like 1

NO BACK SEATS???? well the poor kids of tomorrow will find a way to enjoy the learning curve of "you know what" without a back seat, but damn they were fun days of my first car a old mini cooper. mind you She Who Must Be Obeyed says she was way more flexible then as was I 😉😉😉

KAA

• Haha 2

Just viewed this recent YouTube video. It confirmed my suspicions/thinking of why and how Tesla was able to establish in China. Handing over 100% of their technical documentation should have given a boost to the local Chine EV Auto Industry. Looks like Tesla was becoming too successful and threatening vested interests in the CCP. Future Rise or Fall of Tesla in China is something else to watch.

I viewed a YouTube video about BYD in which Toyota was mentioned about being a "licensed" user of their electric vehicle platform. 

Now just viewed this following YouTube video. Looks like Toyota is making a lot of strategic survival partnerships foe EV manufacture. For Tesla, it looks like a potential foothold into the Japanese auto market to increase production volume and achieve further economies of scale to reduce production costs. 

Wow. I never imagined this would be. That's actually a master stroke by Tesla, hitching its wagon to Toyota's horses. This would alleviate many of the known complexities and hopefully streamline the entire manufacturing/delivery of the product. They can also learn about quality control too, something they've been lacking for a long time. The Japs are masters at making cars and I would have more confidence in the product knowing it came from one of their plants.

I came across this video and it really opens your mind to the complexities and the perpetuation of a new kind of pollution. While the climate alarmists sound the siren on C02, they forget how dirty the process of mining and refining lithium is. Why aren't they crying about this too ? The statement being made is "How Green is you Electric Car" ? When they want to base the future on Lithium batteries, watch the video and see what you think.

Me personally, I think Hydrogen would be the way to go as an alternative to fossil fuel because I can see us paying a heavy price for the pollution to come from lithium mining. The almighty dollar will rule, as always, while the rich keep poisoning our planet. Recklessness will have its consequences.

Watch this.

After looking at this video, I have a better appreciation of the sustainability of recycling and why it will be so essential in future years for the supply chain. 

I have now viewed this video a few times. Puts a lot of current developments into perspective. 

Excellent videos Ash. I am a huge fan of recycling. The E-waste coming off of all the battery powered devices should prompt the responsible handling of these valuable resources to be able to take the burden off mining as such. Mining will and have to exist obviously, but we should not be reckless about it either. We've had too much risky behaviour from the Nuclear sector in the past and we really cannot afford to add another one to the mix.

I'm sure they'll come up with improved solutions as we go forward and it will be exciting to see how they will handle the ever growing demand for lithium ion batteries. It's going to be huge, even after we're gone, the future generations will have a huge responsibility on their hands. 

It would be a great opportunity for the Australian Govt to get involved in these recycling programs here too and restart the manufacturing industry they killed off.

We need our independence back as we move into uncertain times..

Edited by Tony Prodigy
On 5/4/2021 at 3:57 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

Wow. I never imagined this would be. That's actually a master stroke by Tesla, hitching its wagon to Toyota's horses. This would alleviate many of the known complexities and hopefully streamline the entire manufacturing/delivery of the product. They can also learn about quality control too, something they've been lacking for a long time. The Japs are masters at making cars and I would have more confidence in the product knowing it came from one of their plants.

I have been thinking about the synergy benefits for Tesla and Toyota. Tesla excells with software and adopting new manufacturing processes while Toyota excells in producing a quality reliable product. Following video gives some insights that Tesla is having upon Ford EV. 

Looks like lithium iron phosphate batteries have great potential for use in standard EV with a range of 250-300 miles and to lower the cost for these vehicles. Still a case of potential being turned into reality for a lower priced EV to hasten the adoption rate of EVs. Something else to watch for in the next year or so.