Latest Electric Car News and Developments

7 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

"Insane Growth" is a scary proposition. Is there enough lithium in this galaxy to feed this frenzy ?

For one answer, recycling, look at my previous post on 5th May. There was another YouTube video[?] where it was reported that Tesla has committed to buy all of the Australian lithium production. Lithium could be mainly reserved for electric vehicles and other battery types used in other applications.

Watching YouTube for recent releases and viewed this following video. More corruption and government subsidy scandals are hindering CCP's stated goal of China becoming a major EV manufacturer. 2025 is mentioned as being a major turning point. Another case of wait and see what eventuates from China. 

I have been viewing a few more YouTube videos about electric cars more specifically related to the Australian market. One was an interview with a salesman with a MG dealership. Interesting that they encourage buyers to drive both the ICE and the EV versions. Most EV buyers have already done their research and being early adopters are paying a premium price. As previously reported, BYD will be progressively releasing 3 models into the Australian market from September 2021 to April 2022.

However, BYD currently has a limited car production capability which is being ramped up. This is where the joint venture with Toyota becomes relevant especially for the Toyota BZ4X EV which will be available in the USA mid 2022. However, no news about when this model will become available in Australia. Certainly got some pessimistic thoughts about Toyota's future EV sales after letting other car manufacturers gain an uncontested foothold in the Australian market. Guess that they may be relying too much upon existing brand loyalty and quality control. 

I actually like this car Ash. I wonder what kind of range it has.

I won't hold my breath though. Australia, being the Ar*e end of the earth, we're always the last to get anything if we're lucky and I would guess we won't see this car here anyway. If it were, expect to pay at least 90K for it, after currency conversion, gov't intervention and Stealer mark up. This will scare most of us off.

The non exploding blade battery design is a huge plus too.

5 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I actually like this car Ash. I wonder what kind of range it has.

I won't hold my breath though. Australia, being the Ar*e end of the earth, we're always the last to get anything if we're lucky and I would guess we won't see this car here anyway. If it were, expect to pay at least 90K for it, after currency conversion, gov't intervention and Stealer mark up. This will scare most of us off.

The non exploding blade battery design is a huge plus too.

It is interesting to look back at past posts and see how updated information has changed or confirmed. After having another view of this YouTube video, I would agree that you could expect to be paying more than $50K for the Toyota BZ4X EV especially if the current dealership model is used instead of online sales. If as reported in another video, the BYD Tang will be sold on a pre-order basis for approx. $35,000 AUD, then it is going to be quite a game changer. 

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

If as reported in another video, the BYD Tang will be sold on a pre-order basis for approx. $35,000 AUD, then it is going to be quite a game changer. 

That's a more reasonable price point for one not like the Toyota BZ4X EV which will be, by their account, U.S.$35-40K, which when converted to our market will be in the region of around AUS$80-90K. Way too much if you ask me.

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That's a more reasonable price point for one not like the Toyota BZ4X EV which will be, by their account, U.S.$35-40K, which when converted to our market will be in the region of around AUS$80-90K. Way too much if you ask me.

Precisely why at that price point the Toyota BZ4X EV will be released into the USA market and EU to meet stringent emission guidelines and to reduce the need for "carbon credits".

2022 is shaping up to be the Year of the EV invasion or onslaught into the Australian market assuming that BYD pricepoints for proposed models do happen. Having price parity with equivalent ICE vehicles is going to remove a major market barrier.

Actually seeing EVs on the roads and outperforming most ICE cars and even motorbikes is going to hasten the changeover rate. 

Interesting times ahead. I am sensing that the window of opportunity for hybrid vehicles and plug-in hybrid vehicles will be on the decline by 2025. 

I think I could handle the transition of petrol cars to EV but I shudder the thought when they start talking electric motorcycles.  Sorry to go off topic a bit here but that there is where I draw the line. Motorcycles need to have an engine that makes noise, have the compression braking and all the rest of the fun characteristics only an internal combustion engine can provide. Electric motorcycles will kill the motorcycling industry I reckon. I don't know anybody who would touch one regardless how fast they can make one. It's not only about straight line speed.

It's the crackle of the exhaust, The shrill engine notes you get as you carve up the twisties and the vibrations only a motor can provide. Electric will be very boring, soulless, and boring in my opinion. A motorcycle needs to make noise. I hope they don't go after motorbikes too.

Tony unfortunately I am guessing they will make the motorcycle manufacture's comply to the new rules, grrr same opinion as you the sound and feel of those who love the feel of the fresh winds while you ride and that engine note is awesome, I had a Honda 750/4 many many years ago but got sick of getting wet on the way to work and sadly sold it to a mate. I read today that NSW was introducing a no sales tax plan on EV's under a certain price but more details to come they said, so its a wait and see what will happen in NSW. The costs when first pushing the sales will really be interesting, so for me its keep the lady we have for years and see what is what later on, at least by then we will have a fair idea what is worth looking at and what is just plain rubbish.

KAA 

Following YouTube video has more recent news about BYD vehicles becoming available. It is a SUV crossover that will be sold for $35,000 AUD. I did go looking for specifications but no luck. Probably will have to wait until 1st July 2021 when their distributor Nexport opens their pre-order book.

Earlier today, I looked at the Australian vehicle sales statistics for May 2021. Toyota has 32% of the Australian market. Hyundai and KIA are gaining market share and MG is in the No.10 position for Brand. Certainly no time for Toyota Australia to be complacent.

BYD is going to be the new kid on the block and looks like they will have the production capability to establish a market presence. Initial 30,000 units of production looks like the 1st wave with more to follow.  I do wonder whether this will be the catalyst for marginal auto brands to exit the Australian market.

8 hours ago, KAA said:

grrr same opinion as you the sound and feel of those who love the feel of the fresh winds while you ride and that engine note is awesome, I had a Honda 750/4 many many years ago

At least you know what i'm talking about. I get it with cars, but bikes.... NO.. :nono:

8 hours ago, KAA said:

I read today that NSW was introducing a no sales tax plan on EV's under a certain price but more details to come they said, so its a wait and see what will happen in NSW.

You can never trust any Government to give anything away for free. You may get a sales tax exception now, but at some point down the track when you've been hook, lined and sinkered, they'll invent some stupid new tax and have a creative way to justify it. They must think we're all perpetual morons.

8 hours ago, KAA said:

The costs when first pushing the sales will really be interesting, so for me its keep the lady we have for years and see what is what later on, at least by then we will have a fair idea what is worth looking at and what is just plain rubbish.

Yes, I agree Robert. I hope the cars coming out of China won't be what we've used to for decades, synonymous with made in china rubbish. I guess if big brands collaborate, then the quality should be OK, but I won't believe until I see it and read the long term reviews rather that swallow the whole glossy brochure B.S. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, campbeam said:

Earlier today, I looked at the Australian vehicle sales statistics for May 2021. Toyota has 32% of the Australian market. Hyundai and KIA are gaining market share and MG is in the No.10 position for Brand. Certainly no time for Toyota Australia to be complacent.

I think Toyota are onto it. From the information seen, looks like they're rethinking their whole strategy. I have no doubt Toyota will dominate the EV market some day.

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I think Toyota are onto it. From the information seen, looks like they're rethinking their whole strategy. I have no doubt Toyota will dominate the EV market some day.

I think that Toyota is reluctantly adopting an EV strategy, playing catchup. Still lots of development happening in the battery world with expectation that battery storage costs will keep on falling. Toyota did announce a change of strategic direction to being into Mobility instead of just being focussed upon automobile production. I fully expect Toyota to survive and transition away from low profit margins sections of the market. Toyota's current competitive advantage of hybrid technology is being eroded by EV technologies. Have to wait and see whether Toyota can gain another competitive advantage with another technology.

I was almost not going to post the link to this YouTube video but silly to ignore facts or their EV biased interpretation by the presenter's emotive commentary.  I had a bit of a laugh about rabid Toyota fans in Australia. Yet to meet any or be aware of their existence compared to the well advertised Holder Ford rivallry and their hardcore fans.

Hard to ignore that EV sales have been doubling annually since 2010. Admittedly this was from a low start up point but momentum is growing.

Existing auto manufacturers will have a Sunk Cost bias. Hence the rhetoric.

Writing is on the wall if the predicted price parity of EVs with petrol and diesel does occur by 2023.  It was previously predicted to be by 2025 so plenty of developments have been happening to quicken the pace of change.

In recent posts, we have mentioned that Toyota is looking at having to realign their future strategies to ensure their survival.

Just viewed this YouTube video about how Toyota can pivot their strategies and utilise their current technological advantages.

Nice to hear one of my thoughts expressed that Toyota should flood the market with their hybrid vehicles.

Certainly makes sense to be forming collaborative joint ventures to gain access to proven technologies and side-step/avoid any patent infringements. Hope Toyota is listening, thinking and acting to survive.

I have no doubt that Toyota will do what it has to in order to not only transition to survive, but try and remain one of the largest manufacturers in the world too.

This new world of electric car is getting very complicated. The cars are becoming too complicated. It's all getting too much I think. We just want to drive our cars with the headache of all this technical wizardry and gadgetry. Sheesh, what a head F**6

Edited by Tony Prodigy

10 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

This new world of electric car is getting very complicated. The cars are becoming too complicated. It's all getting too much I think. We just want to drive our cars with the headache of all this technical wizardry and gadgetry.

Yes and no. Before it was mainly mechanical and electrical engineering. Now it is the rise of software engineering in vehicle manufacturing. Tesla is coming from the perspective of computing on wheels with software updates released via the internet whereas OEM manufacturers have a perspective of mechanical upgrades and software updates via the dealership. 

Vehicle assembly is being simplified to drive down production costs. Many parts being combined into one using a Giga press and other casting techniques. 

Munro and Associates has a series of YouTube videos where they teardown and compare electric vehicle components between different brands and models. Interesting to see the design and expected longevity of these components. 

Lot of learnings and room for improvement in the transition from an ICE designed model to a dedicated electric platform design.  

Finally noticed this YouTube video which acknowledges despite the headline that all electric vehicles have yet to make the Plug In Hybrid obsolete in the current market particularly for road trips. Price, range and charging times are still hurdles to be overcome particularly for day trips and interstate trips.

What this video did do was make me go and look at a lithium ion battery to replace the existing 12volt lead-acid battery. I think that it will be a future different battery technology that could potentially become a more viable alternative replacement. 

I have noticed some common elements in the EV platform designs from different brands/manufacturers. Toyota has previously released some specifications of their new dedicated platform for all-electric cars, called e-TNGA (from electric Toyota New Global Architecture) but has yet to release the full details.

Following YouTube video for full details of the 2022 Hyundai ((EV Platform E GMP) gives a good indication of what to generally expect when Toyota does finally reveal more specification details of their EV Platform. Apparently we can expect different drive systems RWD, FWD and AWD with different power output motors.

11 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Here's Scotty's take on electric cars.

Without a time machine or a magic ball to see the future, I am not going to disagree with his perspective.

In reply, I have attached the Technology Adoption Lifecycle. I am thinking that at the moment, the market is in THE CHASM but ready to break out into the EARLY MAJORITY phase in 2022 and be in the LATE MAJORITY phase in 2025. At the moment, there are car price increases and production constrainsts because of supply issues. Big question remains as to when price parity between EV and ICE vehicles can actually be achieced. Technology-Adoption-Life-Cycle-Crossing-the-Chasm.thumb_webp.ab14382425072130c47fef218389e6f5

I think this might be what's going on inside that Chasm you speak of Ash.

Got to Admit though, They have built one magnificent vehicle in this video. It oozes quality in every aspect. I won't spoil it for anyone. You'll have to watch the video :biggrin:

21 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I think this might be what's going on inside that Chasm you speak of Ash.

Got to Admit though, They have built one magnificent vehicle in this video. It oozes quality in every aspect. I won't spoil it for anyone. You'll have to watch the video :biggrin:

Definitely wothwhile watching the video. I had a few laughs.

Following video is more about what is going on in THE CHASM phase of the Technology Adoption Lifecycle. It is about bridging the gap between the EARLY MARKET and the MAINSTREAM MARKET.

Interesting to view these 10 electric vehicles from a design and technology perspective. I am certainly taken with the more aerodynamic fronts on some of these vehicles.