Future for 86 models.

Steve gee

How many times did you take your 86 out for a ride  in past year?

My shed find 2012 GT at 5000 original km has now 15000 km with under 1000 k in past year.

I still have half can of the Toyota Zero oil given to me after last oil change in 2020.

I am now using the annual yearly service times as I am way out of step with the km tear offs, which should be 150000 and is just 15000.

And Toyota have done the 10000 and 15000 three times lol.

There are a heaps of 86s for sale over $20000 which is encouraging but unsure if they are selling.

Mines a keeper for future gens based on its resale price, regardless of history.

I did get an offer of the $40000 GR Yaris but changeover price was $28000 only $12000 for the 86.

So like my GT4 and GT Corona and 1600S which are all keepers and collectors I am considering donating them all  to a motor museum along with the 86GT as representatives of Toyota PVs.

The guy who sold me the GT at 4000 km was Wes Nalders mechanic, the dealer who sold me the AMI purple Corona GT in 1976 which has done 240000 km and still perking along.

So I guess I am classified as an old fart owner of 45 years, trouble is too old to keep the 86 gt for 45 years but just inagine if someone turns up in 2065 with an 86 gt?

When I bought the 1967 corona s from act rego ysa073 a couple of years back for $2500 could not but reflect on the first 1600s bought in ACT when I was 21 in 1969  rego ybw114.

Little did I know YSA073 would wait for me for for 50 years.

Cheers thanks for reading.

Edited by Steve gee
typo
  • Like 1

Australian launch of the 2022 model is expected later in late 2021. 

https://www.caradvice.com.au/940538/2022-toyota-gr-86-officially-revealed-australian-launch-confirmed/

Sales will determine future availability. 

22 hours ago, Steve gee said:

just imagine if someone turns up in 2065 with an 86 gt?

I guess that it would be the same as someone turning up today in a 1975 2 door sports sedan.  It might even be an oddity if flying cars are the norm in 2065. 

I've been crowing about selling mine for years since I now have a dodgy back & drive an Aurion for a daily, but Hachi is still in the garage 😕 And despite it being a harder car to get in & out of especially in that tight garage, I still find Hachis seats superior compared to the Aurions & a comfy car after I've settled in to her.

Mines done 1600kms in just over 12 months which is bugger all really. Corona lockdown played a big part in that.

New Hachi is barely any different to the current other than a stiffer body & a few extra kW's, boring/uglier nose/tail design & it's heavier too ! What's also very interesting is the much "stickier rubber" that was supposedly deliberately missing in the current car for some drift action 😉

GR Yaris is a nice car but a lot of coin for what is essentially a tin-can with wheels, even if it is quick in a str8 line. I find the Aurion a rocket in itself & really don't need any faster tbh.

• Like 1

Nice name.  I drove mine to car club via a daddy short cut up the zig zag near Coleraine and down the Nareen back road.  All I can say is I arrived with a smile on my face and as I rumbled up the carclub guys came out to see what had just rocked up. Mine had 16 inch wheels with Yokos and wonder why Toyota never learned when they ditched the idea of importing my Corona GT back in 74 cos it was so slippery in the rear end back then. And that was only 150 hp.  

I find the 250 or so adequate to easily lose your licence these days so I bought and fitted gts wheels and brakes which makes an enormous difference. The michies stick better than the yokos.  Just clocked up 16000 km yesterday time to take it in for its 6 year service 

Yeah yaris will drop just like the STi  subies. 

Edited by Steve gee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

GR Yaris is a nice car but a lot of coin for what is essentially a tin-can with wheels, even if it is quick in a str8 line. I find the Aurion a rocket in itself & really don't need any faster tbh.

My initial enthusiasm for the GR Yaris has waned after an internet article reminded me that recent modern engines with small displacement, high compression ratios and turbocharging are not going to last. Maybe it will be an exception but the motoring public has their ways of rinding any shortcomings.

A lot to be said for the longevity of older Toyota models.

4 hours ago, campbeam said:

internet article reminded me that recent modern engines with small displacement, high compression ratios and turbocharging are not going to last.

It is true no doubt as these engines will be driven hard too. Anything with a super charger or turbo will eventually have reliability issues. One just has to accept this as part of the joy of ownership.