Auto remap

Cruzered

Hi all, just a quick question. Can the auto transmission be remapped? I f@#kin hate how it goes into S4 everytime you move the shifter from auto mode to manual mode. I want it to stay in whatever gear it's in when I move it from auto to manual not S4 every f$%kin time. Any one in Wollongong do this this type of remap?  Cheers 

You will need to read up on the Toyota Sportsmatic transmission and how it operates.

When selecting sportsmatic mode, S4 is by default the highest gear that the transmission will select unless you select [up or down] to a higher or lower maximum gear. With S4, the transmission will automatically select the appropriate 1,2,3 or 4 gear for the driving conditions. If you select S6, then gears 1-6 are available to be automatically selected.

Most of the time, I just leave the transmission in D [drive]. However when going downhill a steep winding mountain range, I have used sportsmatic mode with a lower gear selected to save using the brakes too much. Probably better to be using and wearing the brake pads instead but you have to consider potential for brake fade depending upon the driving conditions.

Hi campbean, yes I have read the manual, I still don't agree with it. My scenario that happened to me was driving back of bourke doing 140 kms and went to get something out if glovebox accidentally move shifter from auto to manual. What do you think happened after that? Me up against the windscreen compression locked engine and desperately trying to shift back to auto mode to control the vehicle. Toyota can stick the f#$kin spass box programming up their ****s. Sixth gear doesn't engage until 120ks whats the f#$kin piont of that? 110kms Max in oz

3 hours ago, Cruzered said:

My scenario that happened to me was driving back of bourke doing 140 kms and went to get something out if glovebox accidentally move shifter from auto to manual. What do you think happened after that? Me up against the windscreen compression locked engine and desperately trying to shift back to auto mode to control the vehicle. Toyota can stick the f#$kin spass box programming up their ****s. Sixth gear doesn't engage until 120ks whats the f#$kin piont of that? 110kms Max in oz

Your scenario is that you were speeding then driving distracted [without due care and attention]. You were lucky. Now you want to blame the vehicle. 

Quite possibly you have a fast and furious driving style and the transmission program has "learnt" not to engage 6th gear until 120 kph.  

On 4/28/2021 at 10:28 PM, campbeam said:

Quite possibly you have a fast and furious driving style

Probably a little more furious I reckon. Ol' mate needs to slow down first of all, not only for his own safety but for the safety of others too. I recently attended a driver safety seminar and it would actually shock you how easy it is to die on the roads and take others with you. Some of the stories the presenter shared would make you cry. A lot of people have no bloody clue how dangerous a car is if operated badly and your chances of dying increase the faster you drive. 

Don't take my word for it. I advise everyone to attend at least one driver safety seminar in their life and believe me, it will change your attitude quick smart.

Have you also seen the demerit/fine schedule in NSW lately ??

Have a read of this and tell me if this doesn't slow you down despite the warnings.

demerits-speeding.pdf

Hi all, regardless of my own stupidity in relation to speed, you are  all not getting the question in relation to the gearbox and how it is mapped. So if I'm 100 percent focus on the road and my son accidentally  moves the shifter to manual mode doing legal speeds 110ks. Do you think it's right to go into S4? No other manufacturers do this why the **** does toyota do? It is totally **** useless and when the lease is up I will be glad to **** this piece of **** of my hands. Cheers

2 hours ago, Cruzered said:

Do you think it's right to go into S4?

I think that this question really needs to be answered by a Hilux owner.

Personally I have no issue with S4 being the default setting but I have a different vehicle with a different transmission and ratio settings.

While you are waiting for the lease to expire, this will give you plenty of time to research the market and find a vehicle that you actually like and will meet your needs.

I could suggest a Ford Ranger but I would not be surprised if you end up having to replace the transmission during the warranty period.