High pitch whine

Vader

Hi guys, new here & I just picked up a 2nd hand “08 AT-X. I’ve noticed when accelerating, especially hard accelerating, that there seems to be a sort of high pitch whine. Is this a normal noise?

3 hours ago, Vader said:

Hi guys, new here & I just picked up a 2nd hand “08 AT-X. I’ve noticed when accelerating, especially hard accelerating, that there seems to be a sort of high pitch whine. Is this a normal noise?

Only noise that I have noticed when accelerating hard is the engine intake.

How complete is the service history of your AT-X and how many kms on the odometer? Has the Automatic Transmission Fluid been changed? Regular oil and filter changes using a quality engine oil, preferably a full synthetic is essential.  

3 hours ago, Vader said:

Too many variables to make one definitive response to be honest. A whine could be transmission, power steering pump, dry idler pullies, alternator bearings, wheel bearings etc. 

Does the whine only occur while driving or can you reproduce the sound when revving the engine up from stand still ?

Could possibly be the sound of a failing alternator (as you increase the revs it puts more load on the alt). How many kms ?

On 5/3/2021 at 10:46 AM, Vader said:

I wondered this for ages until someone pointed out to me that it's the intake on these cars. They said it gets louder when you add a pod filter instead.

Either that or you accidently bought a TRD with a smaller supercharger belt. hahaha. But check little things, are there non-toyota wheels on the back, that might be rubbing? (happened to me when I bought my Oreo. Last owner put some massive bogan wheels on, and they were so wide that when accelerating, the weight shift to the back caused them to rub and chafe inside the guard. When I eventually bought genuine Toyota Aurion ones it took that away and made the ride much more pleasant.