2009 Kluger Grande GSU45R tailgate

Hello,

My 2009 Kluger Grande GSU45R powered tailgate was functioning with no issues (opening & closing) in the past few years. A month ago I tried to close the tailgate but it beeped, started closing and jumped right back, the behaviour is like the system detects a resistance of some kind. I have no issue when the door is shut and I open the powered tailgate, it opens all the way up, the issue is only when I try to close it.

I took off the gas struts and got them tested by a professional and the reading came out good, meaning that the issue is not from the gas struts.

I tried to hold the close button (found some instructions on Google) to try and reset the system but it didn't work.

Has anyone experienced such an issue and if so, how did you get it fixed?

Thanks in advance

Gil

Edited by Gil
On 5/4/2021 at 10:37 AM, Gil said:

I have a 2011 Kluger and had very similar issues as you a few years back. The tailgate worked fine, started playing up and eventually stopped working. The good news was it was fixed by Toyota by replacing the motor that raises the the tailgate and the struts for safe measure and it's been working fine since. Luckily it was covered by extended warranty. The bad news is if you have to pay for this fix, Toyota will charge $3200. To me, it sounds like the motor is has reached the end of it's life span and will only get worse.

On 5/4/2021 at 10:37 AM, Gil said:

Hello,

My 2009 Kluger Grande GSU45R powered tailgate was functioning with no issues (opening & closing) in the past few years. A month ago I tried to close the tailgate but it beeped, started closing and jumped right back, the behaviour is like the system detects a resistance of some kind. I have no issue when the door is shut and I open the powered tailgate, it opens all the way up, the issue is only when I try to close it.

I took off the gas struts and got them tested by a professional and the reading came out good, meaning that the issue is not from the gas struts.

I tried to hold the close button (found some instructions on Google) to try and reset the system but it didn't work.

Has anyone experienced such an issue and if so, how did you get it fixed?

Thanks in advance

Gil

Thanks for sharing.

I took the car to an auto electrician who diagnosed the same as you mentioned, motor fault and mentioned that 2nd hand parts are not available and going to Toyota will cost north of $3k.

I am not going to invest and will shut the door the old fashion way :-).

6 hours ago, Gil said:

Thanks for sharing.

I took the car to an auto electrician who diagnosed the same as you mentioned, motor fault and mentioned that 2nd hand parts are not available and going to Toyota will cost north of $3k.

I am not going to invest and will shut the door the old fashion way :-).

3K for a tailgate motor job is absolutely ludicrous. They fill these cars with all this junk and expect us to cough up an absurd amount when it fails prematurely ?

Tell 'em they're dreamin' :laugh:

Maybe worth trying some local wreckers and seeing if you could buy a second hand tailgate motor. If you could score a used motor for a few hundred, it's a lot reasonable than a few thousand. 

7 hours ago, Kombi17 said:

Maybe worth trying some local wreckers and seeing if you could buy a second hand tailgate motor. If you could score a used motor for a few hundred, it's a lot reasonable than a few thousand. 

I totally agree. How hard can it be ?

Agree, wreckers are always an option, unfortunately I had a mishap in the past where I took the extra mile to find a part and salvage it only to find that it died out 3 months later...

Bottom line, Its a calculated risk that one needs to take.

2 hours ago, Gil said:

Agree, wreckers are always an option, unfortunately I had a mishap in the past where I took the extra mile to find a part and salvage it only to find that it died out 3 months later...

Bottom line, Its a calculated risk that one needs to take.

I wonder how much just the motor would cost new from Toyota. Surely not 3k as mentioned. I would've thought this would include labour and potentially some programming. Even so I cannot see how they could justify that amount. It's just an actuator motor.

23 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I wonder how much just the motor would cost new from Toyota. Surely not 3k as mentioned. I would've thought this would include labour and potentially some programming. Even so I cannot see how they could justify that amount. It's just an actuator motor.

I think it was around 2k for the motor, a few hundred for struts and the rest on labour. If I didn't have warranty, I wouldn't have bothered.  I checked the receipt and it didn't show the cost of just the motor. 

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_2009_Highlander/Tailgate-Pull-Down-Motor/69353984/8500709005.html shows it as 1500usd which is about 1900aud..