Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Greetings people 

so after making a ticking sound for weeks the Speedo along with ODO on my 2000 corolla AE112 decided to stop . The needle has been shaky since I had it . Now I’ve also noticed the car won’t go to 4th gear (could it be related with the speedo issues ?)

any advices where I should start to look at TIA

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Marco, 

Was the ticking noise from the dash cluster or from outside the car, presumably the transmission ? Sounds like you have a cable driven mechanical speedo and it's possible the gears may have stripped and deposited themselves somewhere inside the transmission. That is, if the ticking sound was at the trans.

If you are able to locate the speedo cable to where it attaches to the gearbox, there should be a 10mm bolt holding the clamp for it. Undo it and try and pull the cable out to inspect the gear wheel. If it's missing a few teeth, then that would be the speedo issue. Not sure if this could have had an effect on the 4th gear not engaging, but it's a start.

Have you ever changed the gearbox oil ? If not, maybe this would be a good opportunity to if you are handy. Drain the fluid and see if there is anything in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Hi Marco, 

Was the ticking noise from the dash cluster or from outside the car, presumably the transmission ? Sounds like you have a cable driven mechanical speedo and it's possible the gears may have stripped and deposited themselves somewhere inside the transmission. That is, if the ticking sound was at the trans.

If you are able to locate the speedo cable to where it attaches to the gearbox, there should be a 10mm bolt holding the clamp for it. Undo it and try and pull the cable out to inspect the gear wheel. If it's missing a few teeth, then that would be the speedo issue. Not sure if this could have had an effect on the 4th gear not engaging, but it's a start.

Have you ever changed the gearbox oil ? If not, maybe this would be a good opportunity to if you are handy. Drain the fluid and see if there is anything in it.

Hi Tony

I would say the noise came from the dash. 

You reckon would it have something to do with tranny speed sensor? Because tranny had the problem the same day the speedo break down. I changed the tranny oil not long ago. And strangely the check engine light is NOT on .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange one Marco. I had a little time to dig into this a bit further and I don't believe the cable runs to the cluster mechanically. There is a speed sensor at the trans which converts the rotation into an electrical signal and then via the electrical plug that cable/wiring goes to a socket in to the back of the dash cluster.

If yours has the mechanical/ speed sensor arrangement, it is possible the plastic drive gear may have broken inside the trans and has lodged itself somewhere.

Watch this video and see if it compares to what you have. To remove the speed sensor is pretty easy. Just undo the 10mm bolt and it will slide straight out. You can then inspect the teeth on the sensor and possibly be able to peer down the hole for the other gear. Grab a bright LED light and take a look.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Strange one Marco. I had a little time to dig into this a bit further and I don't believe the cable runs to the cluster mechanically. There is a speed sensor at the trans which converts the rotation into an electrical signal and then via the electrical plug that cable/wiring goes to a socket in to the back of the dash cluster.

If yours has the mechanical/ speed sensor arrangement, it is possible the plastic drive gear may have broken inside the trans and has lodged itself somewhere.

Watch this video and see if it compares to what you have. To remove the speed sensor is pretty easy. Just undo the 10mm bolt and it will slide straight out. You can then inspect the teeth on the sensor and possibly be able to peer down the hole for the other gear. Grab a bright LED light and take a look.

 

Hi Tony

I just pulled out the speed sensor and dash cluster. The speed sensor on our Aussie spec Corolla AE112 , however, is a pure mechanical part that connects directly to the dash with no electric parts at all. I found out the reason for my speedo stop working is that speedo cable jumped out of the socket on dash cluster. I put it back in and took it for a drive, however as soon as speed pick up to 50km/h the speedo is busted and jumping up and down and shaking again.

I also checked speed sensor ,there is no teeth missing, just a little bit stripped on the edge ,as its a 20 years old plastic gear .

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Marco233 said:

Hi Tony

I just pulled out the speed sensor and dash cluster. The speed sensor on our Aussie spec Corolla AE112 , however, is a pure mechanical part that connects directly to the dash with no electric parts at all. I found out the reason for my speedo stop working is that speedo cable jumped out of the socket on dash cluster. I put it back in and took it for a drive, however as soon as speed pick up to 50km/h the speedo is busted and jumping up and down and shaking again.

I also checked speed sensor ,there is no teeth missing, just a little bit stripped on the edge ,as its a 20 years old plastic gear .

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I did think that there was a possibility of it being a full mechanical, but then got thinking it's a 2000 model and electronics had been creeping in at this point and figured it could have an electrical plug from which the signal is delivered to the speedo via the mechanical/speed sensor device. I don't have a Corolla as such but most other models are pretty similar in nature.
So were you able to see why the cable popped out ? You think someone's been fiddling back there ? I wonder if someone had tried to wind the kays back and fumbled their way through it and inadvertently messed up the calibration of the dial. 

It's also possible the cable could be damaged internally causing the erratic speedo or the speedo has an issue. I suppose you could pick up another cluster pretty cheaply no ?

Those are the two scenarios I'd explore. It's good that you're handy and could attempt the work. Most would find it too daunting. I guess it's the only way to learn hey ?

 

Edited by Tony Prodigy
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I did think that there was a possibility of it being a full mechanical, but then got thinking it's a 2000 model and electronics had been creeping in at this point and figured it could have an electrical plug from which the signal is delivered to the speedo via the mechanical/speed sensor device. I don't have a Corolla as such but most other models are pretty similar in nature.
So were you able to see why the cable popped out ? You think someone's been fiddling back there ? I wonder if someone had tried to wind the kays back and fumbled their way through it and inadvertently messed up the calibration of the dial. 

It's also possible the cable could be damaged internally causing the erratic speedo or the speedo has an issue. I suppose you could pick up another cluster pretty cheaply no ?

Those are the two scenarios I'd explore. It's good that you're handy and could attempt the work. Most would find it too daunting. I guess it's the only way to learn hey ?

 

Yep hoping my local wreckers have some for parts soon . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I did think that there was a possibility of it being a full mechanical, but then got thinking it's a 2000 model and electronics had been creeping in at this point and figured it could have an electrical plug from which the signal is delivered to the speedo via the mechanical/speed sensor device. I don't have a Corolla as such but most other models are pretty similar in nature.
So were you able to see why the cable popped out ? You think someone's been fiddling back there ? I wonder if someone had tried to wind the kays back and fumbled their way through it and inadvertently messed up the calibration of the dial. 

It's also possible the cable could be damaged internally causing the erratic speedo or the speedo has an issue. I suppose you could pick up another cluster pretty cheaply no ?

Those are the two scenarios I'd explore. It's good that you're handy and could attempt the work. Most would find it too daunting. I guess it's the only way to learn hey ?

 

Aussie spec 2000-2002 would be similar to those 1990-1995 ones in the US. No OBD connection and lots of things still using 80s technology.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marco233 said:

 

Aussie spec 2000-2002 would be similar to those 1990-1995 ones in the US. No OBD connection and lots of things still using 80s technology.

It's funny how far behind we are in terms of tech, but I think the gap is closing now. Back then it was shocking. I believe your Corolla and other Toyota variants of that era do have what looks like an OBD port but it's not OBD II compliant. I think it's a proprietary Toyota system and Toyota have the machines for these if I'm correct. It wasn't until 2006 when it was mandated across the board. Why did it take so long though ? The U.S had OBD II protocol in place in the mid 90s !

So I have no idea how you guys can read your codes unless you take it to the stealership. We had a similar question posted in the Avalon section regarding this very thing. Some guys have purchased OBD II readers and they don't work not realising what they actually have isn't OBD II despite it looking the same and the device fitting the socket ! 

Anyway, I hope you get your speedo sorted. Keep us posted Marco. 

Have a nice day :thumbsup:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Toyota Owners Club AU © 2020 | This Website has no association with Toyota (AU) or Toyota Motor Corporation. | Cookies | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership