disappointingly my new $105,000 2021 Supra GTS has broken down at just 12 weeks of ownership

You know I sort of expected my new Toyota supra to run for a bit longer than 12 weeks before it became undriveable ?? Well I guess it is a BMW although not made by BMW but by a company called Magna Steyr in Graz Austria who build cars for BMW.

First problem was that while waiting to turn into a petrol station at Tin Can Bay the car lost all ability to select a drive mode so I sat there in pouring rain with my hazard lights on wondering  "what next". After about 5 minutes the drive selector came back to life. Then I could not lock the car by touching the door handle but only by using the key remote. Then next time I came to the car no instrument console lights and no heads up display. They both came back the next time I used the car. 

I wrote to the guy who was responsible for building my car (the Toyota Supra Production Manager at Magner Steyr in Austria but no response as yet) although in copying Toyota into my mail to Magna Steyr Toyota did come back to me quickly.

Next trip in the car will be to Hinterland Toyota at Robina to se if they can sort the problem out.

Apart from the fact that the car does not work I absolutely love the creature. What a driving experience and what a difference when I drive our other car, an Aurion Presara which has run for 12.5 years without breaking down, now that is Toyota quality.

Have any other Supra owners had problems with their cars ??

That is a little surprising to hear, but I guess it's always possible for issues to occur with so much tech crammed into these cars nowadays. Not what you'd expect from an expensive car though. I guess they may still have some teething problems. I'd be curious to hear what the issue was. Maybe there was moisture ingress into a plug somewhere ?? Give it few days to dry and I bet it will all work ok.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, damned BMW's. Anyway the car broke down again on me totally losing drive and then  the ability to get into the car, etc  !!

So back to the Dealership and 15 software downloads later and she seems to be running without problems. Mind what an absolutely brilliant car. Mind you in Ferrari Red I do find people, who do not recognise the Supra, thinking it is a Ferrari.

Fantastic performance driving with superb looks and yet more rare than a Lamborghini on the Gold Coast.

Interestingly my 285kw 2021 build GTS which I bought December 2020 was actually built by Magna Steyr, Graz, Austria for BMW in March 2020. The car was then imported to Australia in August 2020. So I have  a sort of BMW with a Toyota Body but built by Magna Steyr in Austria and not by BMW. What a mix.

• 3 weeks later...