2000 Corolla AE112 rear brake pads

Hi Guys

i try and do my own maintenance on my low km corolla , but im stuck with the rear brake pads.

i noticed that theres only 1 bolt on the rears as oppose to the front which have 2 and are easily removed. i am now stuck in how to remove the rear caliper to replace the brake pads.

any chance someone has a link or advice? ive tried to look for information but none can relate to the 2000 version

any information would be greatly appreciated

When doing brake pads on a floating caliper you should only undo 1 bolt anyway (the lower bolt), and just swing the caliper up out of the way (the top pin/sleeve can just slide out).  Much easier to reset the piston and slide over the new pads if you keep the caliper still partly attached rather than completely unbolting it.

44 minutes ago, Hiro said:

When doing brake pads on a floating caliper you should only undo 1 bolt anyway (the lower bolt), and just swing the caliper up out of the way (the top pin/sleeve can just slide out).  Much easier to reset the piston and slide over the new pads if you keep the caliper still partly attached rather than completely unbolting it.

Thanks for this! im just confused about the top pin/sleeve bit to remove as ive removed the lower bolt and am unable to swing the caliper up? Noob sorry

14 hours ago, pelebellz said:

Thanks for this! im just confused about the top pin/sleeve bit to remove as ive removed the lower bolt and am unable to swing the caliper up? Noob sorry

No need to remove anything up top, the top pin will act as the pivot point (might be a little bit sticky if they're old).  Also make sure the handbrake isn't on at the same time, as these cars use the rear caliper for the handbrake and not a separate internal drum.

5 hours ago, Hiro said:

No need to remove anything up top, the top pin will act as the pivot point (might be a little bit sticky if they're old).  Also make sure the handbrake isn't on at the same time, as these cars use the rear caliper for the handbrake and not a separate internal drum.

Thank you! Done! awesome!

First time is always the hardest, you constantly doubt everything you're doing and usually make the wrong decisions when it comes to the best way to attack things, but it is all a learning process and you pick it up very quickly.

First time I did brake pads it took me probably an hour on the first caliper, but only 15 minutes on the second.  Now, I can do them in my sleep.

The only way to learn is to have a go yourself. Do some research and dive in. Brakes aren't all that difficult once you've done it a couple of times. They are all much of a muchness really. Similar way to remove calipers and similar way to push pistons back. Some cars have the wind back pistons which require a special rewind kit, but it's all pretty simple.

Ian (Hiro) has you covered Pele. Let us know how you go.

On 6/4/2021 at 6:09 PM, Tony Prodigy said:

The only way to learn is to have a go yourself. Do some research and dive in. Brakes aren't all that difficult once you've done it a couple of times. They are all much of a muchness really. Similar way to remove calipers and similar way to push pistons back. Some cars have the wind back pistons which require a special rewind kit, but it's all pretty simple.

Ian (Hiro) has you covered Pele. Let us know how you go.

Thanks guys for the information. i was getting a bit worried because i was used to just doing the front brake pads and encountered something different with the rear ones. i started to panic when there was only one bolt and i didnt know how to remove the caliper until i read hiro's comment about making sure the handbrake was up. i also purchased the toolpro brake piston wind back tool to help me push the caliper back in which was my first time doing.

i appreciate the information given in here. saved me $100s and given me knowledge about doing things on my own . Thanks again guys