Full tank distance

40 minutes ago, bens1x said:

70 litres the Aurion holds I'm planning a interstate trip to Queensland from Melbourne 

How far would a full tank get me 

Distance is going to be very much dependent upon your leadfoot and the condition of your vehicle. Before COVID-19, I was doing an annual round trip from Brisbane to Wagga Wagga. One year fuel economy was 7.84 Litres per 100 kms. Next year it was 8.39 Litres per 100 kms.

Assuming an average fuel economy of 8 Litres per 100 kms, theoretical travelling distance would be 875 kms.

Ideally, you should be refuelling well before the 1/4 Full mark. In planning a road trip, I have an idea where and when I will be having rest stops [2-3 hours] and refuelling stops [usually based upon an Internet search of fuel prices]. On one trip I had to do a 200km detour due to an accident that closed the highway. Certainly not something that I had prepared for but I had the fuel in the tank to get to my day's destination.

Overall objective is to arrive safely at your destination.

• Like 1

Same advise as Ashley, all depends on road conditions and how you drive, when my wife and I did a road trip a few years back too Melbourne and back here to NSW we got an average of about 8lt per 100Klm and did drive very much on the limit. so I would plan well ahead and allow the stops for rest and refuelling in major areas, also will depend if your travelling the coastal way or inland 

Hope you do get to leave and it is a safe and enjoyable road trip mate

• Thanks 1

Don't forget to check and adjust tyre pressures. Rolling resistance can affect economy if tyres are under inflated and causes premature tyre wear too.

If you drive sensibly, to the road conditions, have some mechanical sympathy, you will get the best mileage the engine can offer.

Also, don't carry unnecessary weight in the car if you can avoid it. Every bit helps I guess.

• Like 1

Well I guess I will be comfortable sitting on 100 110km I don't use cruise control much do these things being used come into play.

2 hours ago, bens1x said:

I don't use cruise control much do these things being used come into play.

It's only good for those really long straights, but normally I never use it. It doesn't finesse the throttle all that good when there are up and down hill sections. It will worsen your economy actually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On my regular trips to Sydney from Toowoomba, I use cruise control almost exclusively for the whole trip..for the highway/ freeway driving I find it gives me much better economy, than if I try to keep my foot steady for hours at a time.. but as has been said, on hilly sections the economy will suffer if cruise is used..

My 2 cents worth..

Cheers..

Bigmike

3 hours ago, bens1x said:

Well I guess I will be comfortable sitting on 100 110km I don't use cruise control much do these things being used come into play.

Similar to Bigmike62, I mostly use cruise control for highway cruising. Depending upon the hill incline, there may be no noticeable gear change and increased engine revs. Other times, you notice gear downshifts and engine rpm change from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm.

For reasonably different inclines, I have learnt to increase pressure on the accelerator and this can delay or even avoid the gearshift. 

• Like 2