Removing rear seat backrest

JB CBR

Hi I changed the front struts on my Aurion Touring 2011 yesterday without major hiccups 🙂

I am now in the middle of changing the rear struts. This needs the rear seat to be removed which is proving difficult. 

So far I have removed the back seat and the 4 bolts at the bottom of the back rest. However, the backrest seems to be attached at the top and no amount of pushing it up (assuming there are hooks at the back) works.  

Note: This particular backrest is not the reclining type, it is the one-piece type with an arm rest / cup holder in the middle which folds out. 

Can someone please advise on how to pry the backrest out?  Many thanks.

Thanks for responding so quickly. I have searched deeply on the internet and watched countless videos on YouTube including this one. The seat removal for the Aurion Touring seems not to be specifically covered anywhere in detail that is required.  I have looked up the corresponding US manual and it simply says remove the 4 bolts and remove the seat back! The ID of the car is Toyota Camry / Aurion - GSV40R-JETDKQ complectation - Auto parts (epc-data.com). I looked at the rear seat diagram at Rear seat & seat track for Toyota Camry / Aurion GSV40R - Auto parts (epc-data.com) but I cannot figure out how exactly the backrest is attached other than the four bolts at the bottom which I have already removed. Regards.

I didn't think Aurion would be any different to Camry hence my search for Camry related content. Unfortunately, due to the Aurion being a local model, there's bugger all content in regards to our humble Aurion.

If you're happy to wait, I have a factory workshop manual for the 40 series at home. I'm at work right now so It'll have to wait till I get home and look into it further unless someone else chimes in, in the meantime or you find something. Hang in there mate :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, JB CBR said:

I cannot figure out how exactly the backrest is attached other than the four bolts at the bottom which I have already removed. Regards.

After removing the 4 bolts, the back rest is now ready to be removed. There are 2 anchoring points at the top where the 2 metal loops slot into. It is a case of pushing up the backrest then struggling with the central seat belt to fully remove the backrest.

When refitting, the removal procedure is reversed. Fully extend the central seat belt first, then slide in the back rest.

6 hours ago, JB CBR said:

So far I have removed the back seat and the 4 bolts at the bottom of the back rest. However, the backrest seems to be attached at the top and no amount of pushing it up (assuming there are hooks at the back) works.  

OP reckons he's tried that Ash. It should be able to be lifted but for whatever reason it's not budging. The tops are located by a hook and loop system so there's nothing really technical about it. It may just need some gentle persuasion and a few curse words for good measure. 😄

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

OP reckons he's tried that Ash. It should be able to be lifted but for whatever reason it's not budging. The tops are located by a hook and loop system so there's nothing really technical about it. It may just need some gentle persuasion and a few curse words for good measure. 😄

You have reminded me. There is also the centre drop down section in the back rest. Open/drop it down and see if there are any retaining bolts. Look in the boot and you will see the opening where it comes through. Just disconnect the back rest from that boot interior piece.

22 hours ago, JB CBR said:

Thanks a lot. Will wait for further info. Thanks.

Here's everything you need to know about 40 Series Seats. Scroll down to page 48 and you should find what you need.

There are three seat types for the 40 series. Find which one you have that appears and your golden Mr Jag.

Seat.pdf

Tony and Ash Many thanks again for your kind help. My Aurion has a fixed type seat with the armrest w cup holder in the middle. The pdf is extremely useful. Interesting on p 83  (labelled SE-77) step 4 (b) states "Remove the 4 bolts and rear seat back assembly" without mention of any hooks 🙂. But the 3 hooks are clearly shown in a representation of the back of the back rest pad on page 81 (labelled SE-87)!  I will now try to apply targeted force (with swear words as suggested!). I will also check if the armrest insert is somehow obstructing the seat back as Ash has suggested. BTW in the meantime I have found a post on the US Camry forum www.toyotanation.com/threads/2009-camry-se-mod-and-fix-er-up-thread.1628970/#post-13812730 which details removal of this type of seat including a picture that shows 3 hooks holding the seat back. The post states seat removal is a pain... I think this is going to take a few days for me! My muscles are aching from the heavy lifting I have done yesterday without budging the seat one inch!  🙂  

8 hours ago, JB CBR said:

Tony and Ash Many thanks again for your kind help. My Aurion has a fixed type seat with the armrest w cup holder in the middle. The pdf is extremely useful. Interesting on p 83  (labelled SE-77) step 4 (b) states "Remove the 4 bolts and rear seat back assembly" without mention of any hooks 🙂. But the 3 hooks are clearly shown in a representation of the back of the back rest pad on page 81 (labelled SE-87)!  I will now try to apply targeted force (with swear words as suggested!). I will also check if the armrest insert is somehow obstructing the seat back as Ash has suggested. BTW in the meantime I have found a post on the US Camry forum www.toyotanation.com/threads/2009-camry-se-mod-and-fix-er-up-thread.1628970/#post-13812730 which details removal of this type of seat including a picture that shows 3 hooks holding the seat back. The post states seat removal is a pain... I think this is going to take a few days for me! My muscles are aching from the heavy lifting I have done yesterday without budging the seat one inch!  🙂  

All good mate. Happy to help. Hope it works out for you.

Cheers :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, JB CBR said:

I will also check if the armrest insert is somehow obstructing the seat back as Ash has suggested.

This morning, I checked the armrest insert and how the rear of this insert connects into the covering panel at the back of the boot. As I recall , I detached the the armrest insert from the boot back panel by working inside the boot. Once you have done that, then the seat back rest lifts out very easily.

After I refitted the rear seat, I left refitting that armrest insert to the boot panel for another day.  

I found that the back resists upward movement as it is wedged between the car side walls.  Therefore the solution is to press the top corners of the back inward (sideways away from the walls) while pushing the seat up. This way the seat back comes off relatively easily.  Removing the armrest insert before removing the back helps as well, as it makes the back less rigid while pressing in. Its all good now, thanks all for your assistance.