Should i be offended if someone calls me a ricer?

Im a going to be on my P Plates soon and naturally, im not allowed to modify the performance aspect of my car until im off them however i can and want to modify my car aesthetically. I have a 2001 Celica SX and i constantly see the car being called a ricer and im not sure if i should be offended or not. I want my car to look cool and perform well when i can start performance mods. 

I've ordered a Genuine veilside front bumper and want to make the car look cool because i like the way body kits look but i still feel a bit hurt when someone says ill be a ricer or the car is a ricer car. Should i care what people think of my car?

If you have a stock standard Celica then I would not consider it a RICER. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ricer 

Add all of the body kit and this one looks like a RICER http://www.veilsidejpn.com/en/product/toyota/ff-gt_zzt231_celica_front_bumper.php 

What you should be concerned about is the amount of attention you will get from the Police. P plates make you enough of a target. Make your car look faster and you get more attention. Precisely why I leave my car stock standard on the outside.

Best $ upgrades are tyres, then brakes and suspension. 

• Like 1

Ive thought about the whole cop situation and so far my car is completely legal performance and ride height wise so I'm not too fussed if I get pulled over simply because of the looks of the car. A little disappointed body kits are considered ricer, ill probably still get a body kit since I'm in love with the way it looks. Is ricer really such a bad thing?

The car came with BC racing coilovers and im stoked with how they feel. I recently bought a nice set of tyres and some decently priced Repco brake pads so ill definitely look into a nice set of callipers when I get the chance. 

Edited by sutoriku

11 hours ago, sutoriku said:

Is ricer really such a bad thing

No man. Think of it more as a term of endearment because those who use that term, use it loosely. You're doing up a Japanese car for starters which in essence gives rise to it being called a Ricer. That term has been around since Moses wore short pants so don't feel too bad. It's when some go way over board and put ridiculous flares, spoilers etc and other tacky crap all over it is when you trigger the alarm bells lol.
This is really how the term ricer came about. To call a stock Japanese car a ricer is plain stupid really. Next time someone calls it a ricer, ask them to "please explain" 

If the car has been tastefully modified then I wouldn't call it a Ricer. It's just dumb and I wouldn't take any notice of it.

Just don't make it look like this and you'll be fine. 🤣🤣🤣

Ricer lol.jpg

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

What people say they will say no matter what you do to your car, some just wont like the fact it is Toyota, so stuff them I say it is yours and you do with it what you wish, Personally don't go overboard on the Mods, as it gets older you will never get back what it's worth with all of the mod's. as a few have said use your money more to keep it smooth, powerful, safe and legal. I went for stock look with tiny changes like grill and some badge removal, but money went inside for a top of the range head unit, as I love my music and wanted more modern Sat/Nav etc. I have had my day's of wanting power and speed and loved those cars, but now it is all about comfort fuel economy safety and reliability.

So don't worry about anyone calling it a Ricer, it is yours and Toyota make awesome cars

KAA