Extra power

Bens101x

I tried the Y-pipe modification when I had my '09 Aurion (see below) as well as an intake ($120ish from Amazon US), but in all honesty, could barely tell the difference (in contrast to what others were saying). Sounded great though, and others have shown dyno gains from the Y-pipe.

The only real way for noticeable gains is to go for a turbo/supercharger setup - might as well buy the TRD Aurion at that point. Not really the right chassis to put more power through imo. 

Edited by donnot

On 6/15/2021 at 2:24 PM, Bens101x said:

Does anyone have any experience with adding extra kilowatts to there Aurion if so tell me about it 

The short answer for me would be no, but I will say this though. The 2GR-FE does have potential, but you will spend way too much money chasing small gains.

It really is diminishing returns. Many here will attest to this. The more power you make, the more stress you place on the drivetrain and you'll have no end of grief after this. The Aurion isn't really a performance car being a front wheel drive. The engineers who designed it, have strategically matched components for maximum everyday usage. When you start tinkering with the formula, you could end up with a Jekyll and Hyde situation.

If it were a rear wheel drive, then different story. You'll find thousands of high performance variants, like Falcon and Commodore.

I think 200Kw is more than enough to get you into trouble.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
Typo
  • Like 2

Agree with recent posts. I am quite happy knowing that there is reliable 200KW engine under the bonnet. Bit of envy for the Aurion TRD but hard to justify [to my Bank Account] the price for those extra KWs.

I have been keeping an eye on the KIA Stinger more as a benchmarking exercise. Writing is on the wall for it to be discontinued in favour of the EV6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA7d1FmW0ZI

I have also been looking at the RAV4 Prime on YouTube which has yet to be made available in Australia. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49DTZgKzaaM 

In the meantime, I am enjoying driving my Aurion and saving my $$$ for a future electric car that will be able to outperform a V8.

Totally agree with Ashley and Tony and others, I would not waste good hard earned money on very small increases, The TRD was Toyota's answer to those who wanted more performance over a great reliable vehicle. I have read many threads on here for those who wanted the extra KW's and all would pay loads of money for a little gain. I love the power I have, the great response and the smooth change in gearing. So I agree Ben don't place too much out of pocket for very little gain, use it to keep the beast serviced well and enjoy the comfort of a great car.

KAA

I've asked myself the same question since I got my Aurion years ago...and I always end my thought on the same two things.

1. It's FWD. The power you can gain from a 2GR-FE engine with the limited space under the Aurion's bonnet is pretty difficult to manage. Atop that the chassis isn't built for it. But the most triggering thing to me, is that no matter how hard you push the 2GR and chassis, it's still a FWD car and that power is great while you have traction...but it's hard to put it down on launch and it's gonna' be even more difficult to put it down around a corner without going straight into a wall. Also with the weight of an Aurion, it won't be too kind going around sharper corners. Thiccccc girl got roll.

2. It's automatic. Sure the tiptronic/sports mode is a blast and always gives you an edge for holding those revs with more control...but it's still not a manual car. Let's be honest...stick shifts are life for car enthusiasts. I'm excited that my project car is a manual. I still haven't seen any references or proof of anyone successfully doing a manual conversion on an Aurion (which would also include moving the foot parking brake).

Though it'd be wicked to see an unleashed Aurion. If someone spent the infinite amount of time, money and skill to do a super unlocked Aurion, you'd have to take a step back and see what would make the car wicked.

RWD/AWD (I'd prefer RWD for drifting because why not), Manual gearbox, and a supercharger or turbo, because if you're going through the effort you wouldn't leave it NA. Not to mention you'd have to flash the ECU to cancel out the O2 sensors on the header cats.

It'd be a whole rework of the entire car, and while (I think) it'd be sexier than a Chaser*, it'd be so over-engineered you'd end up having to strip all the interior, have panel gaps, probably lose air con for bonnet space, you'll have the Aurion community up in arms for ruining a good car. I do think it'd be an awesome thing to see.

(*everyone loves a white chaser)

One other thing to note, if I was to ever use an Aurion (AT-X) as a track car (because I love Aurions), I'd just weight shed it and remove all sound deadening, put wider tyres on, coilovers, strut bars and put BRIDE seats in.

• Like 2

I think you summed it up very well there Matt. They don't like to go around corners fast as you mentioned being pretty heavy up front. You definitely would need to stiffen her up. My decision to buy an Aurion was because we had a baby and my wife's Corolla at the time didn't offer the safety levels the Aurion's did and I wasn't comfortable transporting my precious in it. The Aurion ticked all the boxes for us. My wife drives it mainly as I have a company vehicle and it just gives me peace of mind. The last thing I would do is "do it up" so to speak. I think it's perfect the way it is.

I get my kicks from my other car, BMW M3, which Isn't driven all that much, but when I do it always puts a big grin on my face. 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 3:44 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

I think you summed it up very well there Matt. They don't like to go around corners fast as you mentioned being pretty heavy up front. You definitely would need to stiffen her up. My decision to buy an Aurion was because we had a baby and my wife's Corolla at the time didn't offer the safety levels the Aurion's did and I wasn't comfortable transporting my precious in it. The Aurion ticked all the boxes for us. My wife drives it mainly as I have a company vehicle and it just gives me peace of mind. The last thing I would do is "do it up" so to speak. I think it's perfect the way it is.

I get my kicks from my other car, BMW M3, which Isn't driven all that much, but when I do it always puts a big grin on my face. 

Thanks. Yeah the Aurion is a nice and safe car. I bought it for reliability and a bit of speed (before I got into cars as a hobby).

Looking back I should've gotten the WRX I was looking at, but at the same time, I love my Aurion and I really love the reliability of it. Oil, fuel, air, and she's good to go. Glad I got to drive one for work before buying mine too.

But I think OP, such as myself, can't afford to have a backup fun-car, such as a BMW. 😁 So I see why they're looking into putting some more performance into the Aurio. Hehe.

@Bens101x Have you had a look at any other options with the Aurion? I'm afraid that even a Cold Air Intake or any Pod Filter setup hasn't proven to be effective on any 2GR-FE engine at all. There was recently a heap of testing posted about someone trying to push more HP out of their 2GR with one. After heaps of testing they went back to the stock intake.

I'm still curious as to doing up an Aurion track car, using an ATX. Wider asf wheels, coilovers, rear strut bar, weight shedding...what do you think @Tony Prodigy? My project car is an old Volvo 360 GLT, but in the future, I'd love to get my hands on an SX6 Sportivo or even a TRD for a daily (most likely the Sportivo), and then that'd free up my AT-X for a track car. already got no 3rd cat. 😂

7 hours ago, Twixter said:

But I think OP, such as myself, can't afford to have a backup fun-car, such as a BMW. 😁

I bought mine 13 years ago and before I got married. Ah, those were the days, single and free and plenty of disposable income :laugh:
I couldn't afford one now as family life takes priority over toys. But luckily I still have it to enjoy and wifey doesn't bug me about it.

7 hours ago, Twixter said:

Have you had a look at any other options with the Aurion? I'm afraid that even a Cold Air Intake or any Pod Filter setup hasn't proven to be effective on any 2GR-FE engine at all. There was recently a heap of testing posted about someone trying to push more HP out of their 2GR with one. After heaps of testing they went back to the stock intake.

I think this wouldn't be much of a performance gain on its own without going the whole hog. Every little upgrade will complement each other. If you plan to make a track car out of your ATX, then you'd need to tackle every aspect of it as you mentioned. It can get expensive though.

On 6/19/2021 at 7:26 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

I bought mine 13 years ago and before I got married. Ah, those were the days, single and free and plenty of disposable income :laugh:
I couldn't afford one now as family life takes priority over toys. But luckily I still have it to enjoy and wifey doesn't bug me about it.

I think this wouldn't be much of a performance gain on its own without going the whole hog. Every little upgrade will complement each other. If you plan to make a track car out of your ATX, then you'd need to tackle every aspect of it as you mentioned. It can get expensive though.

"you'd need to tackle every aspect of it as you mentioned. It can get expensive though."

But come on...how sick would it be to see an Aurio fly past Commos and Falcons at Lakeside or QLDRaceway? I know they do it stock ( 😂 ) but it'd be a sobering sight to see a track-specific Aurion hooking around a track. I think if you're just doing that, the weight-reduction, wider wheels, coilovers and strut bars should be all you'd need, right? Maybe a set of racing discs just as a precaution. I don't think you'd be able to 'tune' a NA Aurion to make any more power anyway.

I was actually surprised off my Aurions power 200 kilowatts is great, I previously had a 2016 HSV that had 400 kilowatts stock, one thing also is that power you get up around 80 100kms 

22 minutes ago, Twixter said:

"you'd need to tackle every aspect of it as you mentioned. It can get expensive though."

But come on...how sick would it be to see an Aurio fly past Commos and Falcons at Lakeside or QLDRaceway? I know they do it stock ( 😂 ) but it'd be a sobering sight to see a track-specific Aurion hooking around a track. I think if you're just doing that, the weight-reduction, wider wheels, coilovers and strut bars should be all you'd need, right? Maybe a set of racing discs just as a precaution. I don't think you'd be able to 'tune' a NA Aurion to make any more power anyway.

I agree. I'd love to see many Aurions take it to falcons and Commodores. I just don't know how they would get all that power down being front wheel drive. it will need a special diff.

17 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I agree. I'd love to see many Aurions take it to falcons and Commodores. I just don't know how they would get all that power down being front wheel drive. it will need a special diff.

*cries in FWD*

17 hours ago, Bens101x said:

I was actually surprised off my Aurions power 200 kilowatts is great, I previously had a 2016 HSV that had 400 kilowatts stock, one thing also is that power you get up around 80 100kms 

Well...welcome to the good side. 😂

I had to post this advertisement a 2011 Toyota Aurion Sportivo just over 100.000kms and his asking almost a massive $17,000 as you all would know this has same engine as the Touring model and the Camry range 

Now it's in good shape without seeing the engine well a few months ago I bought a Toyota Aurion Touring model 2009 with full service history never missed a service and was owned by a older couple in their 70s who looked after it and it has only 120.000kms on the speedo I paid $10.000

I've uploaded it down bottom now question is this guy asking to much or did I get the deal off my life.

Ben 

Screenshot_20210623-232850_Carsales.jpg

Screenshot_20210603-024419_Photos.jpg

Sure looks neat. I actually like the Sportivo ZR6 look, but I think his asking price is a little ambitious. It's a 10 year old car, despite the kays.

Admittedly, the market has been weird lately. People are paying stupid prices for cars that they shouldn't. Go figure.