Blackvue Dashcam parking mode settings

nzzr6

Just wondering if anyone here is running Blackvue DR750X or DR900X? If so what parking mode settings do you use? In parking mode closing the car door is enough to trigger an event recording, even on half sensitivity... 

8 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

Just wondering if anyone here is running Blackvue DR750X or DR900X? If so what parking mode settings do you use? In parking mode closing the car door is enough to trigger an event recording, even on half sensitivity... 

I don't have a Blackvue, but I am hoping to get into one of these some time in the future and It's good to be able to hear the feedback. What you describe sounds frustrating and I wonder if Blackvue are aware of this and if so what would they be offering as a solution. I guessing you have the power magic hooked up too, hence the parking mode being enabled. But I have to agree, closing the door should not  trigger a recording event and I wonder if they could possibly introduce a "delay" option for such a situation to allow you to get out, shut the door, and not cause the recorder to start by simply closing the door. It's pretty dumb actually because closing the door will simulate someone bumping your car and trigger it. It should sense you switching off the ignition and the initiate a delay timer set by the individual and then go into parking mode after time has elapsed.

In saying all this, have you checked the settings options to see if there is such an option ?

Edited by Tony Prodigy
Typo

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I don't have a Blackvue, but I am hoping to get into one of these some time in the future and It's good to be able to hear the feedback. What you describe sounds frustrating and I wonder if Blackvue are aware of this and if so what would they be offering as a solution. I guessing you have the power magic hooked up too, hence the parking mode being enabled. But I have to agree, closing the door should trigger a recording event and I wonder if they could possibly introduce a "delay" option for such a situation to allow you to get out, shut the door, and not cause the recorder to start by simply closing the door. It's pretty dumb actually because closing the door will simulate someone bumping your car and trigger it. It should sense you switching off the ignition and the initiate a delay timer set by the individual and then go into parking mode after time has elapsed.

In saying all this, have you checked the settings options to see if there is such an option ?

Indeed, not a bad idea at all. There is a new firmware update so perhaps they might have, heres hoping... settings only allow the G sensor sensitivity to be adjusted along three axes, ive turned the side to side axis to about halfway. 

No power magic pro, the X series have voltage monitoring built in

I have the older DR650 on my Hachi (average unit & even more average software) & although older it's similar to the newer versions.

Parking Rec G Sensor: T-B= 90, L-R= 90, F-B= 90

Had to adjust to this cos even a truck driving past 20M away would trigger an event despite car in a carpark.

Hope it helps.

Which model do you have & how do you find it?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

I have the older DR650 on my Hachi (average unit & even more average software) & although older it's similar to the newer versions.

Parking Rec G Sensor: T-B= 90, L-R= 90, F-B= 90

Had to adjust to this cos even a truck driving past 20M away would trigger an event despite car in a carpark.

Hope it helps.

Which model do you have & how do you find it?

DR750X-2CH, love it. Upgraded from a Viofo A129 which gave me nothing but trouble and majorly interfered with my FM reception. Video quality is great and have no trouble making out license plates with the 60fps. Also the usual cloud functionality is good. Installation is pretty straightforward as well. They are expensive but its definitely a quality unit. Free shipping from Blackvue 🙂

Also helps that the 750X and 900X have voltage monitoring built in, don't need a power magic pro to keep it from flattening your battery

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

So when a recording event is triggered, does it just keep recording or does it stop after a given time. You'd hate for it to record useless data and fill the S.D card or does it record staright to cloud storage ?

7 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

Also helps that the 750X and 900X have voltage monitoring built in, don't need a power magic pro to keep it from flattening your battery

Just wondering where it gets its power from if the ignition is off or is it hardwired ? Do they come with a hardwire kit or something ?

These Blackvue camera systems have changed a lot since since they came out and I haven't kept up so I'm not really that familiar with these latest versions.

9 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Just wondering where it gets its power from if the ignition is off or is it hardwired ? Do they come with a hardwire kit or something ?

These Blackvue camera systems have changed a lot since since they came out and I haven't kept up so I'm not really that familiar with these latest versions.

Yep they come with a hardwire kit, parking mode power comes from the main vehicle battery and you can change the voltage/time settings from within the blackvue app. There is no separate "box" like say with the Viofo hardwire kit which you've then got to climb under the dash to adjust if you ever want to change the settings. You can also connect the X series cameras battery wire to a standalone battery (Cellink Neo etc) as well if you don't want to use the main vehicle battery for parking mode. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

So when a recording event is triggered, does it just keep recording or does it stop after a given time. You'd hate for it to record useless data and fill the S.D card or does it record staright to cloud storage ?

The cam will record anything to a pre-determined time setting, I have it set to 3 minutes. If motion triggered it will mark it as normal Park Mode recording, if detected by G sensor (a knock) then it will mark it as an "Event" so you can scan through & select only those to view if desired. After the set time has elapsed the cam stops recording & goes into standby mode waiting for the next detection, it always stays on though.

15 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

DR750X-2CH, love it. Upgraded from a Viofo A129 which gave me nothing but trouble and majorly interfered with my FM reception. Video quality is great and have no trouble making out license plates with the 60fps. Also the usual cloud functionality is good. Installation is pretty straightforward as well. They are expensive but its definitely a quality unit. Free shipping from Blackvue 🙂

Good to know that the current BlackView units don't screw your radio reception.

I must admit to using the older A119 V2 (MCV20R Camry) & current A119 V3 cams (GSV50R Aurion) and although they're a great budget cam with excellent video quality, the latest V3 does interfere with radio reception, in particular the DAB radio on my Aurion. Doesn't help that multiple antennas are all over the rear screen 😐 I wasted many hours trying to figure out the best solution for it cos I love the DAB radio, it worked in the end, but sounds like I could have avoided it all together by getting a more expensive unit.

Some moron tailgating everyone but himself on the Eastern Freeway few years back made me install a 750 2CH on one car and 750 1CH on the other. I got the 2CH one hardwired with Power Magic Pro to use the parking mode feature, but I had to give up on it after 1 year or so because the battery went flat twice, the reason turned out to be a dying alternator 🙂

Solid hardware, neither has missed a beat and they're still using the Samsung SD cards purchased initially. Had the 2CH one twice shutting itself down out of the blue, symptom of SD card writing failures. After formatting the card the problem went away. They recommend to format the card monthly or so.

Edited by AurionX2

4 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Good to know that the current BlackView units don't screw your radio reception.

I must admit to using the older A119 V2 (MCV20R Camry) & current A119 V3 cams (GSV50R Aurion) and although they're a great budget cam with excellent video quality, the latest V3 does interfere with radio reception, in particular the DAB radio on my Aurion. Doesn't help that multiple antennas are all over the rear screen 😐 I wasted many hours trying to figure out the best solution for it cos I love the DAB radio, it worked in the end, but sounds like I could have avoided it all together by getting a more expensive unit.

Yeah I think its to do with Blackvue using a coaxial cable for the rear cam rather than a traditional power/signal cable as Viofo does

4 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

@nzzr6  How about video quality at night with limited street lighting ? The 60fps sure makes a big difference.

i uploaded a clip from my drive home, i think up close detail is pretty good but its just fast moving objects where detail suffers a bit. But with that being said, I do believe the 1080p 60fps model has the edge over the 4K version in terms of low light detail

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AurionX2 said:

Some moron tailgating everyone but himself on the Eastern Freeway few years back

Moron trying to get in the backseat somehow 😜

I don't blame you for going the whole hog and installing dash cams. I think they are a vital tool in today's lunatic society. Nobody seems to have anymore patience. I hate driving some days. The arrogance and sense of self entitlement get right up my nose. Those types need to be dealt with in a special way...

I think I'll go with Blackvue when my time comes. I have been quietly considering them a while back and each time I think of pulling the trigger, they bring out a new and updated version. 

1 hour ago, nzzr6 said:

Yeah I think its to do with Blackvue using a coaxial cable for the rear cam rather than a traditional power/signal cable as Viofo does

i uploaded a clip from my drive home, i think up close detail is pretty good but its just fast moving objects where detail suffers a bit. But with that being said, I do believe the 1080p 60fps model has the edge over the 4K version in terms of low light detail

That's actually not a bad picture. Pretty clear for night time vision. It's just hard to read number plates from the headlight glare though. I think you'd have to turn off the headlights momentarily in order to capture a particular offender's plate, then switch them back on. Would this be accurate ?

You'd hate to think that after you've encountered an incident and when viewing the footage you couldn't derive anything useful.

Maybe I'm wrong. 

That's actually not a bad picture. Pretty clear for night time vision. It's just hard to read number plates from the headlight glare though. I think you'd have to turn off the headlights momentarily in order to capture a particular offender's plate, then switch them back on. Would this be accurate ?

You'd hate to think that after you've encountered an incident and when viewing the footage you couldn't derive anything useful.

Maybe I'm wrong. 

i would guess that playing around with the exposure/white balance in the camera settings might improve it a bit, but headlight glare is something all dashcams would struggle with to some degree id say. Fortunately I've not needed any night time footage yet, but... 

Thanks NZ ! It's far far smoother & more detailed than my old DR650 (time for a change), possibly even better than my 2K Viofo cams although I would need to compare back to back. Ideally it still needs to be better at night though to pick up plates & faces, I guess it'll get better with time & more $$ thrown at it by the manufacturers.

I was keen to get the 4K cams last year but thought it was too soon for 4K adoption, especially given the huge file sizes & the SD cards required & they get hot. I'm already using a 256GB card on my Viofo.

Reckon you're onto something there with regard to interference, the BV rear cams do use a coax cable as opposed to power for the cheap Viofo A119, even their 4K 2CH cams use a USB. Their newest A139 changes that.

ps: bright head lights !

Edited by ZZT86

I have no doubt the BV cams will get better with time and more $$$. What gets me is I feel like we're being drip fed and as these BV units are already very expensive, I feel they can offer a bit more than they already are in terms of the available tech advancements and functionality. Not complaining, just saying.

14 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

Reckon you're onto something there with regard to interference, the BV rear cams do use a coax cable as opposed to power for the cheap Viofo A119

You could shield the cable with tin foil right ? Not sure why they wouldn't provide a shielded cable in the first place if it's susceptible to interference.

11 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

I was keen to get the 4K cams last year but thought it was too soon for 4K adoption, especially given the huge file sizes & the SD cards required & they get hot. I'm already using a 256GB card on my Viofo.

I'm pretty sure you can record in H265 to combat the aggressive use of data allocation. I'd need to play with one and flick between H264 and H265 among other settings and see where the sweet spot is. I think it's hard. May take some getting used to.

^^ tried the foil, 3M Aluminium tape, electronic noise suppressor, even ferrite chokes - didn't work ! Had to move the cam away from the DAB antenna (rear screen), works fine now. Spent hours farting around 😬  I'm guessing coax =more $$ . . . 

Coax would have been easier 😉

ps: yep they're way too expensive for what they are now days.

1 hour ago, ZZT86 said:

tried the foil, 3M Aluminium tape, electronic noise suppressor, even ferrite chokes - didn't work ! Had to move the cam away from the DAB antenna (rear screen), works fine now. Spent hours farting around 😬  I'm guessing coax =more $$ . . . 

Good Grief. That's a lot of mucking around.. Even Ferrite Chokes ! Glad you got it sorted though.

So where's the DAB antenna exactly ? I'm guessing it's on the upper edge ?

2 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Thanks NZ ! It's far far smoother & more detailed than my old DR650 (time for a change), possibly even better than my 2K Viofo cams although I would need to compare back to back. Ideally it still needs to be better at night though to pick up plates & faces, I guess it'll get better with time & more $$ thrown at it by the manufacturers.

Reckon you're onto something there with regard to interference, the BV rear cams do use a coax cable as opposed to power for the cheap Viofo A119, even their 4K 2CH cams use a USB. Their newest A139 changes that.

ps: bright head lights !

BV has just released the DR750X Plus with supposedly an improved image sensor, could be worth checking out?

Yeah headlights are great, aussie Stedi LEDs 🙂

Edited by nzzr6

So where's the DAB antenna exactly ? I'm guessing it's on the upper edge ?

Looking at the rear screen, it's at top left corner, just a small section enough to make your day

1 hour ago, nzzr6 said:

BV has just released the DR750X Plus with supposedly an improved image sensor, could be worth checking out?

Yeah headlights are great, aussie Stedi LEDs 🙂

Yep I noticed the other day the DR750XPlus model & had a quick squiz, looks impressive but not the price @ $600 for 2CH kit. Better get when on special like EOFY 🤨

Ahh, that explains it, they're brilliant, pardon the pun 😆 My Aurion also has the stock LED's & I'm converted, still a Merc rocks up & suddenly it's almost daylight  . . .

• Like 1

Yeah I did notice 1-2 weeks before end of June that Autobarn, Repco & LineLink had decent sales, AB was best I think but didn't want to spend a $ that's why I kinda ignored it.

My Hachi hardly gets used so I'm not desperate, I'll consider next time. The Aurion has the Viofo's x 2 which are more than good enough atm.