Headlight projector issues 2007-2011

acv40r_2008

Hi guys, always had issues with how badly the projector lights are, ive tried 2-3 different sets of LED and HID, all still bad, ended up forking out for pair of Stedi LED lights at $140, made marginal difference over oem lights and the other bulbs tried.

At close up they look great, but the lights dont even push out very far, scary to drive at night cause how bad they are! My old camry 1996 had better lights. 

Even worse when other cars are around, the other cars headlights cast a shadow.

Headlights have very little frosting on them, still very clear, i suspect its a badly design projector or bad projector housing.

Any ideas on how to make them better? Or am i stuck with how badly and dangerous they are?

• 9 months later...

Sorry to necro this thread but what is the conventional wisdom on highlight bulb upgrades? I've read that LED arent great with projector lights but im still tempted to try. Anybody have first hand experience with upgrades, any recommendations?

Cheers

It has been a while since I reading about upgrading to LED headlight bulbs. I more recall mention being made about the different type of headlight housing i.e. reflector vs projector. 

Personally, I have been using H11 LED plug n play design bulbs in my Aurion for a few years. I started with bulbs sourced from eBay. Certainly equivalent or better than high performance halogen bulbs but some bulbs only lasted a few months instead of years. 

Finally gave up buying based upon price and bought H11 LED bulbs from STEDI which I can highly recommend. Unfortunately, they are currently out of stock according to their website. 

As an alternative, perhaps consider these Philips bulbs even though they are more expensive. 

https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/philips-ultinon-pro9000-led-h11-twin  

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the insight, There was some from Supercheap I was looking at but il have a browse on Powerbulbs too to compare. Nice to know they are essentially plug & play.

EDIT: In your opinion is it also worth upgrading the HB3 high beams?

Edited by Baxter190388

Just to update, I looked into the STEDI bulbs as you recommended. I caught the H11's in stock and ordered them, swiftly out of stock again so hopefully they will turn up. I ordered the H11 projector bulbs, HB3 copperheads for highbeam and the H11 foglight replacement bulbs. Only bulbs that dont have replacements now are the reverse lights i believe.

Thanks again

• Thanks 1

Yes, the bulbs should turn up within a week or so. 

Certainly expecting that you will be pleased with the end results.

Please let the Forum know your opinion as to whether it was worth the outlay. 

• Like 1