Is this too many kms for a petrol hilux

Callum h

Hi I am looking at buying a second hand 2010 Toyota hilux sr5 3.0 v6 it has 300,000 kms on the clock and is listed at 12,500 but negotiable. This would be my first car and I know not much about hiluxs. Is this too many kms for a petrol engine hilux of that price?

If it has a service history and has been well maintained, it should be fine. Toyota have a great reputation for reliability, but in saying that, good maintenance is very important for any engine's longevity. Pull the oil fill cap and check if there is any sludge build up. If it does, this will indicate a sloppy oil service regime. Sludge is bad for any modern engine and can be costly to reverse.

Overall, the Hilux's from that era are pretty bullet proof. I had an SR version V6 and it was a tank. Powerful engine too. Love the V6.

Good luck and I hope you get a good vehicle. Be sure to haggle the price too.

5 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

If it has a service history and has been well maintained, it should be fine. Toyota have a great reputation for reliability, but in saying that, good maintenance is very important for any engine's longevity. Pull the oil fill cap and check if there is any sludge build up. If it does, this will indicate a sloppy oil service regime. Sludge is bad for any modern engine and can be costly to reverse.

Overall, the Hilux's from that era are pretty bullet proof. I had an SR version V6 and it was a tank. Powerful engine too. Love the V6.

Good luck and I hope you get a good vehicle. Be sure to haggle the price too.

Cheers for the response. This would be my first car, meaning I don’t know a whole lot. Is their much of a difference between the 3.0 litre and the 4.0 litre? 

I have the 2011 V6 Hilux which I bought in Nov 2016 with 74,000 klm's on it and have just now hit 171,000 klm's, including four effortless return trips between Adelaide, Kalgoorlie and Perth.

The one thing to consider, with petrol prices currently on a huge rise at present, is that while the V6 is definitely a very gutsy engine, it can also be a bit thirsty if pushed too hard with around town usage being about 21 - 22 mpg.. (I still talk in mpg)...up to my best being just 26 - 27 mpg at a comfortable and constant cruising speed of 95-105 kph across the Eyre Highway.

I religiously keep up my regular 6 month or 10,000 K service schedule and there has been no mechanical issues whatsoever, ......nor do I expect any issues in to the future,...in fact it really does still drive and feel like a new car, with one of the most smoothest automatic gearboxes I have EVER driven,.....and I've been driving for 62 years.

If you can get past the fuel consumption cost, you'll have a very good and near bulletproof ute.

Cheers ......Lance S.

Edited by brickpaver
fuel average