Possible exhausts and headers for ZRE182R (2017 Corolla Ascent Sport Hatchback E180) and noise limits in NSW

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to the modding scene, however I was trying to find headers for the ZRE182R model, which uses the 2ZR-FE engine, and am genuinely struggling to find headers that specifically mention compatibility with the ZRE182R.

I was also interested in changing my exhaust and, once again, am quite stumped on my search for exhausts specific to the ZRE182R or anyone saying that they have tried so and so part and it works on their ZRE182R. There was a previous post nearly 7 years ago regarding E180 which I believe is close, if not the same, but due to it being a much older model, I'm looking for some help here. It can be found here and here.

I also had a look online and found this axle-back exhaust for the 2017 Corolla XSE and was wondering if it would fit the same too.

Lastly, I'd like a little more information on the vehicle noise limit in NSW for an automatic ZRE182R. Some places say its 90db, some say that according to ADR83/00, its 83db. With a lot of conflicting information, I'd like a bit more clarification please.

Edited by Silly Goose

3 hours ago, Silly Goose said:

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to the modding scene, however I was trying to find headers for the ZRE182R model, which uses the 2ZR-FE engine, and am genuinely struggling to find headers that specifically mention compatibility with the ZRE182R.

I was also interested in changing my exhaust and, once again, am quite stumped on my search for exhausts specific to the ZRE182R or anyone saying that they have tried so and so part and it works on their ZRE182R. There was a previous post nearly 7 years ago regarding E180 which I believe is close, if not the same, but due to it being a much older model, I'm looking for some help here. It can be found here and here.

The TRD axle-back exhaust formerly owned by Rattle Rattleson now lives on my wife's 2018 ZRE182 Ascent Sport hatch.  It bolts on 100% no problems, however the tip does sit a little lower than the stock tip so it looks a little out of place.  The sound improvement is more a quality vs quantity thing, it is barely louder than stock at idle and around town especially when cold but is more noticeable up top or if the exhaust has gotten nice and hot after a long spirited drive.

3 hours ago, Silly Goose said:

I also had a look online and found this axle-back exhaust for the 2017 Corolla XSE and was wondering if it would fit the same too.

I would assume that any exhaust for the American 11th-gen Corolla would not fit, for two reasons

1) The sedan (as are Australia-market sedans) are technically a different chassis to the hatch - E170 vs E180.  The pipe routing and muffler design is also different between E170 and E180, with the Aus-spec E180 having a cigar-shaped tubular rear muffler and the E170 (US and Aus) sedan having a conventional oval muffler.

2) Exhausts for the US-spec hatch (Scion/Corolla iM) are completely different as they ran an IRS setup compared to the Aus-spec torsion beam, so the pipe routing is completely different

US-spec sedan exhausts may fit Aus-spec sedans, but not the hatch.

1 hour ago, Hiro said:

The TRD axle-back exhaust formerly owned by Rattle Rattleson now lives on my wife's 2018 ZRE182 Ascent Sport hatch.  It bolts on 100% no problems, however the tip does sit a little lower than the stock tip so it looks a little out of place.  The sound improvement is more a quality vs quantity thing, it is barely louder than stock at idle and around town especially when cold but is more noticeable up top or if the exhaust has gotten nice and hot after a long spirited drive.

I would assume that any exhaust for the American 11th-gen Corolla would not fit, for two reasons

1) The sedan (as are Australia-market sedans) are technically a different chassis to the hatch - E170 vs E180.  The pipe routing and muffler design is also different between E170 and E180, with the Aus-spec E180 having a cigar-shaped tubular rear muffler and the E170 (US and Aus) sedan having a conventional oval muffler.

2) Exhausts for the US-spec hatch (Scion/Corolla iM) are completely different as they ran an IRS setup compared to the Aus-spec torsion beam, so the pipe routing is completely different

US-spec sedan exhausts may fit Aus-spec sedans, but not the hatch.

Thank you for your reply! You're saving me a bunch here!

Can I ask,

Would there be a difference in the ZRE182R and the ZRE182? I may have to contact Rattle Rattleson for more information for where he got it, how he got the exhaust and extra info so do you have any way to contact him? Is it just through DM here? May I DM you directly? And do you have any pictures of how it looks on the car, how it sounds and if you did anything more with it? This is my first possible breakthrough so thank you! To my understanding though, the 2018 Ascent Sport Hatchback has 2 different designs when I look it up online. One looks like my 2017 one and the other looks like a newer design so I'm still quite confused

22 hours ago, campbeam said:

This is where you need to find posts by @Squalled about exhaust modifications for his Corolla Sportivo.

Sadly I haven't got much information on the newer ZRE chassis. I would expect there would some aftermarket headers for them but they'll be a pain to find where as with the Sportivo there's literally 5 options that we can choose from.

In terms of an exhaust system, I'd honestly go for a custom system. I mean the bolt on systems are awesome and you do it yourself at home if you have the knowledge and tools but a custom one can be done at anytime and by a professional too. I mean for a ZRE chassis, I reckon a 2.25" catback with a decent sized resonator and a good rear muffler will work a treat. You could always opt for a custom made header but this will end up costing a fair bit of coin to get a shop to do it unless you happen to find an aftermarket set and they can use that particular design and re-make it here.

As far as I knew, 90dB was the limit for exhaust noise for newer model cars but it could've likely changed. Older model cars can have up to 95dB.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:47 PM, Silly Goose said:

Would there be a difference in the ZRE182R and the ZRE182?

The 'R' just means right-hand drive.

I may have to contact Rattle Rattleson for more information for where he got it, how he got the exhaust and extra info so do you have any way to contact him? Is it just through DM here? May I DM you directly? And do you have any pictures of how it looks on the car, how it sounds and if you did anything more with it? This is my first possible breakthrough so thank you![/quote]

See the Members Ride link in my signature for photos, I don't have a video .  From memory he bought it from Garage 88 in Sydney but no idea if they can still get them.  To be honest, it's not worth what the probable retail value is brand new compared to just going to an exhaust shop and getting a Lukey or Magnaflow installed (and its main value apart from the badge is that it bolts on to a stock standard system).  I got it second-hand (obviously) so much more cost-effective.

To my understanding though, the 2018 Ascent Sport Hatchback has 2 different designs when I look it up online. One looks like my 2017 one and the other looks like a newer design so I'm still quite confused

What you're seeing is the changeover from the 11th generation Corolla (ZRE182 hassis code, 2ZR-FE engine) to the 12th generation (MZEA12 chassis code, M20A-FKS engine), which happened mid-late 2018.  Completely different engine, completely different chassis, nothing will swap over.