2009 KX-R Head Unit Upgrade

Klugerdude

Hey Everyone,

I'm hoping to modernise the stereo in my 09 Kluger KX-R, but I'm not sure which path to take - aftermarket or newer Toyota head unit. I'm really just after Bluetooth audio without having to use an AUX dongle like I currently do. 

One option I was looking at was a PZQ60-00525, but it looks like the rear has some extra connectors compared to the stock KX-R head unit (PZQ60-00021 I think). Can anyone shed some light on what these might be for and whether I'll need any adapters? Photos of both units attached. 

Alternatively, has anyone fit an aftermarket unit? I'm assuming a standard double DIN unit will fit? Were you able to still use the steering wheel controls?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Cheers

Current Head Unit.png

PZQ60-00525.png

• 1 month later...

It may be a bit late now (this post being back in July) but I fitted a Joying double did HU to my 2012 Kluger many years ago.  They are sold direct from their own website and were on Ebay also.  They have a Sydney warehouse that stocks popular models. 
They have the perfect fit where there is no need to use filler strips on the side, I think the std Toyota size is 200x400mm?
It has been one of the best things I have ever bought.  After all these years everything still works perfect.  The gain strength of the radio makes the original Toyota one look like junk. 
They supply the exact loom for your car (included in the price) and it is all plug and play.  Your steering controls work plus you are able to customise the settings for those as well.  Even my 6-7 year old unit has bluetooth and it works well. 
It is very simple to install, the hardest part was removing the plastic dash bits but with patience it can be done.   There are how to videos on Youtube and maybe some guides on Toyota Nation USA.
If anyone does get one don't bother trying to use the old Toyota mic as the one built into the HU is far better.
One tip... My 2012 KXR model (base) has a dual diversity antenna system and it requires an adapter for other HU's.  I got mine for about $5 off ebay at the time.  Without it the reception is not good.

• 1 year later...
On 9/7/2021 at 9:52 PM, 11/16Aurion 12Kluger said:

It may be a bit late now (this post being back in July) but I fitted a Joying double did HU to my 2012 Kluger many years ago.  They are sold direct from their own website and were on Ebay also.  They have a Sydney warehouse that stocks popular models. 
They have the perfect fit where there is no need to use filler strips on the side, I think the std Toyota size is 200x400mm?
It has been one of the best things I have ever bought.  After all these years everything still works perfect.  The gain strength of the radio makes the original Toyota one look like junk. 
They supply the exact loom for your car (included in the price) and it is all plug and play.  Your steering controls work plus you are able to customise the settings for those as well.  Even my 6-7 year old unit has bluetooth and it works well. 
It is very simple to install, the hardest part was removing the plastic dash bits but with patience it can be done.   There are how to videos on Youtube and maybe some guides on Toyota Nation USA.
If anyone does get one don't bother trying to use the old Toyota mic as the one built into the HU is far better.
One tip... My 2012 KXR model (base) has a dual diversity antenna system and it requires an adapter for other HU's.  I got mine for about $5 off ebay at the time.  Without it the reception is not good.

Hi,

I am planning on doing something similar to my Kluger 2012 KXR. Would it be possible if you can share the Joying model that you installed and the picture of yhe headunit after installation.

I found couple of options on Joying website for Highlander but their support doesn't confirm that its suitable for Kluger.

Thanks